Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do You Have Something Different To Fix For Christmas?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 17:49

Do you have a new or a recipe you have not made in a very long time that you plan on making for Christmas? Here is one of the recipes I plan on making. I have not made it in years. We always liked it way back when.

Whirligig Cookies from Westinghouse Betty Furness Cookbook 1954

10 x 14 inch cookie sheet Preheat oven to 375 Baking Time 10 to 12 minutes

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg unbeaten
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted before measuring
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package 6 ounces chocolate chips

Cream shortening, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter together thoroughly. Add egg beat until light and fluffy. Sift flour with salt and soda. Add to egg mixture and blend well. Roll dough into an oblong shape 1/4 inch thick. Melt chocolate chips over boiling hot water.

Cool slightly, spread on rolled dough with spatula. Roll up like a jelly roll and chill. Slice 1/4 inch thick. Place on ungreased cooky sheet. Bake. Remove from pan to cake cooler immediately after baking. Yields about 3 dozen cookies.

What are you making?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do You Have Something Different To Fix For Christmas?

Those sound good, Sue. Question--I think I understand, but do you spread the chocolate on the dough before rolling up? It says to spread on rolled dough. I have to make these for Harry!

This is a new one for me. I'm not a big lemon fan 'cept for in desserts :-)

LEMON CRINKLE COOKIES (LDS Magazine)

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease light colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Or use parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte "not melty or shiny>. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

o

Yes, Patti on the rolled out dough you spread the melted chocolate. I have not made these in a very long time. I just found my recipe. Your lemon cookies sound really good too. I will have to copy that and maybe make those too.

Sue

o

I started making my fudge last week and giving it to friends - I'll make about 30 pounds of fudge before the season is over. The first batch was cherry. I also made peanut butter and also white chocolate. Cherry Mash is the next one I plan to make and maybe some coffee-flavored. I also want to try pumpkin.

o

I made two different cookies for our cookie exchange and both were from Martha Stewart.
Pecan Lace Cookies
Chocolate Thumbprints with Ganache

o

Kayjones, your fudge sounds delicious!! I'd love the Cherry Mash recipe if you have time in between all that candy making!!

o

Unconventional Cherry Mash Fudge

Patti, for this candy, I make a batch of fudge with cherry chips - this will be poured in the bottom of a buttered pan.

I then make another batch using chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate), into which I mix Rice Crispies, because I can't eat nuts.

I just pour the chocolate fudge over the cherry fudge, set it to cool and it's ready to give to my family and friends.

Most people add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to their melted chocolate mixture, but I don't.

o

Saffron buns....traditional Christmas rolls when DH was growing up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
We just bought some really good saffron while on vacation.

Saffron Buns
yield : 18-24
375 degrees F about 20 minutes

1 cake or pkg. yeast 2 1/2 tsp.
3/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1/8th tsp powdered saffron....I use the threads and used more. (But my saffron was old.)
sugar....I used some in the water for the yeast....not much
3 Tbsp for the dough
Pearl sugar for the top
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs at room temperature one egg for batter and one to beat and brush on top
Flour in divided amounts.....about 3 1/2 or so cups total
1/2 cup raisins or currants

Combine yeast in warm water and sugar if desired maybe a teaspoon or so and stir it to dissolve
Warm the milk with the saffron and combine with 3 Tbsp sugar, salt and butter. Stir until the butter is melted.
Beat one egg and add to milk mixture when cooled enough.
Add one cup flour and the yeast mixture. Beat well.
Add additional flour (about 2.5 cups) to make a soft but not sticky batter. But in raisins just before beating the dough, I guess.
Knead lightly and put into a greased bowl, turn dough upside down so all sides are greased.
Cover with a cloth and allow to rise until double in bulk. I used a dough pot with a lid.
Knead down and turn out on a lightly floured board.
Form into a long roll.
Cut into 18-24 pieces, depending on what size you want. Form into smooth balls.
Put on buttered baking sheets, flatten slightly and let rise until double. I covered them with waxed paper.
Can also use muffin tins but I never have.
Brush tops with remaining egg lightly beaten and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Watch closely near the end so the sugar doesn't start to burn.
Cool rise method:
Can knead dough until smooth and elastic, let it rise for about 20 minutes. Prepare into rolls, place in a pan, brush with oil and cover with waxed paper and then cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
Unwrap dough carefully and let stand at room temperature uncovered for ten minutes.
Then brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar and bake as directed.
I usually just make them the same day. I think you could just chill all the dough and then form the rolls, etc.

o

Being different:
Scotch eggs are delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here