Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For those in the Philly area...PECO related

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 17:43

If you have or had PECO as your energy supplier, have you switched? If so, who did you switch to and have you been happy with them? I've been reviewing our options from the PECO site (PA Power Switch with all the company listed) and will go with a year fixed term with no cancellation fee which narrows down my options tremendously. I've checked some the companies on the BBB website as well. Our off peak rate ends as of January which is why we didn't switch 2 years ago.

I've researched some companies and while PECO is higher, I feel comfortable with them, but, they are increasing 20% come January. Thoughts. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For those in the Philly area...PECO related

We did try some 3rd party suppliers a few years ago, and we did save money. For a while. Then the electric company started raising their rates until they were higher than our 'company of last resort' (PSEG). And the alternate gas company went out of business, so we ended up going back to PSEG.

Now that we've moved, we live in a city with municipalization (city-owned electric company), so we cannot use a 3rd party supplier. But that's okay with us--we have the lowest rates around, and have had 4 rate DECREASES since we bought this house 4 years ago. Can't complain about that!

Now, you do know, you'll still get a PECO bill, right? They're still the company who will be delivering your product and maintaining the lines, and you get a bill for that WITH the bill from the 3rd party supplier. Will the 20% increase be affecting the delivery charge? I'm sure you've added it all up to decide if you're going to save.

Doesn't hurt to give one of the other companies a try--after all, you can always switch back if that's a better alternative. Hope it works out for you.

o

Twenty percent increase?? Where have I been? I should have paid more attention. I am forever getting notices about switching so I don't pay attention. I stayed with PECO because the small savings from switching didn't seem worth it.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

o

PECO wants out of the supplier business....getting too unstable. Their business plan is to convert to delivery only.

Yes, we and everyone else in our neighborhood who has changed have lower bills since the change.

o

Monica...who did you change to and have you had any issue with them slowly increasing your rate as I've heard these 3rd party companies do, even before a contract is up. I've read all kinds of complaints. Yes, I know people will verbalize complaints before they praise good customer service. Do you know the various companies your neighbors switches to and if they are pleased (since you know that they DID switch)?

Yes, azzalea, I'm aware that billing and CS will still be maintained by PECO.

o

Debi,

Just asked DH who we use - it's called "Direct Energy", and when I asked him if the rates have gone up since we originally signed up - he said "No, in fact - it was been lowered by 8%".

o

Yes -- Monica, who did you choose?

o

Hmm, I got a letter from them today. I'll have to look at it more closely. This is all very confusing to me.

o

Thanks Monica. I'm in the process of reviewing them all. At least going with a no cancellation fee company (get in writing) will get me out of it if I'm not pleased or if the shananigans start as I've read by many customers and these 3rd party energy companies. The complaints I'm reading on DE and others are many, but I suppose that comes with the turf; can't make everyone happy all of the time, and people will complain more than praise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here