Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's so special about jasmine rice?

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 17:42

I'm looking for side dishes to go with Jamaican jerk chicken and one I saw was Chipotle Mexican Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice

I typed in jasmine, but meant basmati rice.

Other sides was fresh fruit salsa
fried plantains
or coconut rice with red beans

So was is BASMATI rice?

This post was edited by glenda_al on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 17:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's so special about jasmine rice?

The taste? I think so.

o

Taste is right. I'm not crazy about Jasmine rice but I really like basmati. You just have to taste it to see, I guess. First time I had it was in Arkansas. I know they grow rice there, but not sure about basmati.

o
RE: What's so spbbecial about jasmine rice?

I edited my post but could not edit the jasmine in the topic.

It's basmati that I'd like to know more about.

o

Basmati rice, as mention above, tastes different from regular rice. It's very fragrant....I like it a lot. I've used white basmati, but lately have been getting brown basmati. It used to come from India, but I think it's grown in the US now.

o

I like Basmati rice but do not care for Jasmine

What is Basmati Rice? Basmati rice is a rice popular not only for its flavor, but for its fragrance. It is remarkably long for a rice, and becomes longer still when cooked. It can be either brown or white with the brown variety having more flavor. When cooked, the rice is lighter and more fluffy than standard white rice, and does not stick together.
Pronunciation: baz-mah-tee

o

The Basmati rice I've had at our local middle eastern restaurant is soooo good. It is a combo of white and yellow rice, most likely I think because of the use of saffron. It is a very dry rice and the stuff I get is buttery in taste. Dang, now I've got to go there tomorrow and have lunch just so I can stop thinking about it.

Jodi-

o

I always use Basmati rice and when I catered for a group meal which included rice, I had enquiries as to "what I put in the rice that made it taste so good". It took a lot of convincing to tell them that it was the natural flavour of the rice, there were no additives.

o

I prefer the Brown Basmati rice. It has a nice texture and a nutty flavor. Does NOT taste like regular brown rice.

o

There's an Afghan restaurant around here that serves it as a side dish with their meals. Between the rice, beef Tikka and Bolani - I could eat there every week! IMO it's not starchy or sticky like other rices. It has a great flavor - as mentioned above. I prefer it to "white" or "brown" rice. If you haven't tried it - find a restaurant and give it a shot. :)

o

I've tried every kind of rice and I like them all. Even Rice A Roni.

o

I'm with jannie, never met a rice I didn't like but Basmati is a favorite. We love Brown rice ...when I make rice, I make a big pot full because it keeps well, reheats beautifully and even freezes nicely.

o

Basmati smells AMAZING & WONDERFUL as it cooks!!! Love it, and use it more frequently than any other rice. It does taste great also, as others have mentioned!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here