SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Winning Mega Millions

softball_80
10 years ago

I heard the story about the man who won $40 million and donated the entire amount to cancer research. That is beyond commendable. I'm a nice guy but I admit, I'm not THAT nice! Here's the question I pose to you:

Say the stars align the right way and you win that unconscionable amount of money. You take the lump sum and end up with, say, $275 million, give or take. You help out your family and friends, donate to your church and charities as you see fit, get yourself a nice house and a couple of new cars

OK you've done what most might do, but have you a guilty pleasure? Something you might buy that makes no sense to most folks? Here's mine - I'd like to buy a minor league baseball team. I'm hearing that a top of the line Tripe A franchise would be in the neighborhood of $10 million. Of course you could probably do better than that. I do know this - the salaries are capped at a certain level. If I could make enough on ticket sales to break even, I'd be happy. OK what do you have? BTW good luck tonight!

Comments (26)

• mary3444
    10 years ago

I guess I am a odd ball. I don't have a guilty pleasure. There is nothing out there that I have always wished for.

If I won the money I would do some things around the house as I love where we live. Would not buy a new car or truck as I like what we have now.

The only thing I will say is it would be nice not to have medical bills. To be able to pay them off in full would be my guilty pleasure.

• golfergrrl
    10 years ago

On man, I'd go crazy. I love to spend money.

• Related Discussions

Do you have a big dream and will you share?

Q

Comments (20)
    To get my programming credential from Oxford :) Several years ago, I could not imagine what it'd be like or that I'd get in :) There were other career goals and children, but my back situation has made me have to be more flexible about some ideas :( I may be miffed at the time it's taking but there is no doubt that I'll walk at the Sheldonian with my dad there and my mom in spirit. [At very least, he and I already visited the Sheldonian and told the guard that I'll get to see the inside some day as a graduate!] I'd like to visit so many places. I'd like to see where my Irishman grew up, a land that was the backdrop of great Irish mythology and archeologically rich. Even if my hair frizzes so much in the drizzle ;> I'd love my garden to be all that I dream, but it is sad that there are so few people around who would spend a while and enjoy it. I'm glad to see so many dreams here [and with my classmates too] :) I'm bombarded too often with folks whose dream seems to be to complain at least half the day from here until eternity and nothing else!! Whatever floats your boat, I guess but that just seems such a grueling outlook...
    ...See More

Would you spend $1300 for a shower curtain rod?

Q

Comments (21)
    "I just bought 114 bin pulls and 107 door pulls. I wonder what DH would have said if they had cost $45.00 a piece ????????" Mine would have said "You just blew $9,945.00 on door pulls. Hope you enjoy looking at them while you're sitting in the hole in the master bath floor that would have been your steam shower and spa tub."
    ...See More

Are you in love? With (another) house?

Q

Comments (76)
    The house is top heavy, isn't it? On the plus side, the portico adds a ton of space to the attic floor and doesn't looks too bad in context with the rest of the lot. It's basically a tarted up raised ranch - the lower floor is like a basement and is not heated or cooled. You could remodel but it would have to be all cash as you could never get flood insurance and it couldn't be rolled into a mortgage. Our real estate market has come back a bit and the lot alone could be upwards of a million dollars but I think the fact that it's a one bedroom house hurts the value. Originally the owners tried to subdivide the property. The three lots were the house and pool, lot with deep water dock and lot with ancient garage. They sold the area with the dock for about 500k in late 2008. Then they lost the house and the bank sold the house and the garage lot next to it for 700k in 2010. It was actually a pretty good deal but between having to extensively remodel, paying expensive flood insurance on that fabulous pool and college tuition for two right around the corner, I just didn't have the stomach for it.
    ...See More

23 year old wins $232million lottery in SD

Q

Comments (15)
    How wonderful for him! He seems like a really deserving young man. Unfortunately, this is not the best of times to have to figure out how to invest $88.5 million. Think about it. Handling that kind of money is no easy task even if you have spent your life doing it. You don't just go plunk it in a bank or stick it under your mattress. And, people will be coming out of the woodwork to requesting his help for anything and everything. My hope for him is that he be able to find honest and capable people to help him. Even then, it's going to be a challenge. He's got a lot of years ahead of him to deal with protecting those funds if they're going to last until he is an old man.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    10 years ago

I would fix my house up to within an inch of its life. All those plans that have been in my head would become reality. Then I'd sell it and move somewhere else.

Yes, I would give to charities that are important to me (my local library would be rolling in dough!), but not all of it, that's for sure.

Something that makes no sense? I'd find my old 1996 Honda, buy it back and restore it. I loved that car. Can't think of anything else.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

My son had a thought that will never be implemented, but it would be great, IMO.

Once the winning amount gets over--say $200,000,000,-- let there be 200 winners of $1,000,000,000, each. As he amount increases, so would the # of winners. That sure would be a boost to local economies. Does that sound entirely crazy? It probably would be too complex to implement, but I like the idea.

• nickel_kg
    10 years ago

Well, I'm in a pool with about 20 people at work, so the most I could win would be around $30M, then half of that would be gone to taxes, so no minor league teams for me!

One thing I'd like to do that would make no sense is that I'd buy my grandparents old house and restore it as much as possible to how it was when I was there as a child. It's been out of family for 25 years and is on the market again. It makes me sad to see how much of its charm has been modernized right out of it.

It's fun to imagine being rich, and sure I joined in the office pool for a lark, but do I really want the money? No, I'm just as happy being an anonymous regular person!

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

I'm with mwheel&son.
    That has been my thought for a long time. Break it up and spread it around.

If I had millions, I would find people who need money for medical needs, rather than giving to organizations whose officers are highly paid. For instance, I would find children who have medical needs and give money for that. Or veterans that could enjoy having some money to spend just for fun. Things like that.

I don't have any extra money to throw away, but I can pay my bills on time every month, my funeral is paid for and my kids aren't expecting to get rich when I die, and in fact that is a joke among us.

Helping someone who really needs help would be what I would choose to do.

But, hey, I don't even buy lottery tickets, so I am just dreaming here.

Sue

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Most people don't seem to comprehend how much money that is. "Buy a house, buy a car, etc" will still leave $274,750,000 change left. Ha. But it would be fun to try. I have no intention of dying rich.

• ronm80
    10 years ago

commercial flights, would never take another one.

• alisande
    10 years ago

I'd like to create some sort of permanent safe haven for animals.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

I would like a wheelchair accessible house for my DH. Wouldn't have to be really expensive or fancy. My needs aren't great. My guilty pleasure would be to have a house cleaner come once a week and someone to cook the occasional meal for us. Someone to help with a pond, a garden and snow shovelling would also be nice but we have outside help now.

I wouldn't want mega millions. That would be too much stress.

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

I would buy a new house for myself, a larger one for my friends, who are the parents of precious Finn. After donating to my church and to the local animal shelters, I would set up some college scholarship funds.
    A couple of months ago, a man in my church who had always lived very frugally died. He left over a million dollars to our church for missionary activities.
    I would buy myself a motorhome like Nita has and do some traveling.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I was just asking hubby what our dream would be, or as softball_80 said, our guilty pleasure. We can't think of anything, except a humane society of sorts where we can take care of animals. More like a retreat, not have them in cages. A sanctuary, for example.

Sue, we'll work with you on this!

We'd have the dream home and cars and family and friends looked after.

Also, since almost weekly there are people in the news who can't afford the cancer drugs and other medications they need to keep them alive, and the provincial drug plan doesn't cover them, I would love to give them money they need for the drugs, and prolong their life.

• softball_80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nickel_kg mentioned being part of an office pool for the lottery. Ever time there was one going around I used to join. Why? Because if they ever DID win, they'd all retire and the boss would have given their work to me on top of my own. Hire replacements? Don't make me laugh!

• terilyn
    10 years ago

Buy my island, yacht and crew, build my island house. Give to many of my charities, change my name.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

Jasdip, i agree. I would love to help those who cannot afford their medication. We hear about it so often now. In fact, I was once denied a cancer drug....due to fund allocation, they didn't give this drug to poor prognosis patients. I surprised all of the oncologists by living anyway.

A lot of my money would go to our humane society. They are a no kill shelter that does marvelous work. We support them a lot now.

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

Okay, jasdip, where do we start?

I just remembered something.

I have been taking a beta blocker for years. $4.00 for 135 pills. ( I take one and a half a day.) Went to pick up the current refill . . . . $65.00! Surprise, surprise, no longer on the $4.00 list.

Maybe I should buy a Lottery ticket.

Sue

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

First, I would invest half to see if I could make more money, at least keep the buying power I have and earn a modest living. Then, I would take my time deciding what to do with the remainder. for certain, I would set up trust funds for my adult children and a college fund for my 4 yr old granddaughter, There would be a gift to our religion's building fund. I would put aside 'safety' money that would be sufficient to support us for a number of years, and that would not have to be for a long period because of my our ages and we do not expect to live past 100 yrs.

Right now, we could make do quite nicely with the cars we have, but I would opt to get my wife a better car of her choice. For myself, I could drive my '98 Jeep for a couple more years, but i could move up to a later, much nicer model that has improved ride. Some time after 1998, Jeep changed the Cherokees to independent suspension and better road noise isolation. That would be mt winter time driver. I'd use someting else in warmer weather.

My wife has a yen to take a cruise up the Alaska coast. I suppose I could sit on the confines of a ship that long, maybe better yet, drive to Alaska, but we'd be limited to where we could go. Only a small part of the Alaskian coast is accessible by road (from Canada).

For the splurge part, i might buy two residences: one for summer and another for winter. Maybe lease rather than buy the winter one since that would be our shorter season.

Given some time,I'm sure that I could come up with fun and interesting things to do. For example, it might be interestng to experiment with educational venues where the object would be immerse the participant into past methods and nearly lost arts of livelihood. It would be like a summer camp employing old home making methods. The primary focus would be to produce your own food both plant and animal derived, and then make clothing from scratch. That means spinning your own yarn for knitting and weaving. Machine made thread would be allowed, but sewing machines would be foot powered only.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Heather, on our news last week, a 12-year old girl has Cycstic Fibrosis and recently tried a drug that has greatly improved her breathing, and life in general.

Not covered by OHIPIt costs $348,000/year and is partially covered by insurance and the manufacturer but they still pay $6,000 a MONTH.

Another mom with 2 little boys needs medication to fight her cancer and the government won't approve the cost.

Of course the head of the health department has her drugs all covered because she works for the government, so she could care less about anyone needing these meds to prolong their life.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

Jasdip, I agree. My heart is breaking for that mom with brain cancer who needs the drugs that Deb Mathews refuses to help get funded. If the situation was reversed and it was her family, I bet she would get the drugs.

Which is more important....spending millions to remodel beer stores or improving the health of sick Canadians? Our government needs a swift reality check aka kick in the butt.

• chisue
    10 years ago

We don't play the lotteries. If we did come into mega-bucks, it would be great to be able to give so much more to our favorite charities -- *local* ones that put the basic needs of human beings first.

There isn't a pet in the world I would aid before seeing to it that *people* have food, shelter, health care and encouragement to live productive lives.

Winning huge amounts of money could easily be a horrible curse. Terilyn is on the right track about changing her name if she won!

• marilyn_c
    10 years ago

I would help people on an individual basis....knowing that I was giving directly to them. I would also give to various animal rescues. One thing I wouldn't do is get myself a huge mansion. I would finish my house, build a new barn and an arena and buy the land around me. I would definitely try to keep it quiet that I won, and try to live my life as quietly as possible. I guess if that failed, like Teri, I'd change my name, and move somewhere that I could live quietly and simply. I'd give money to my family and friends. Actually, there isn't a whole lot that I want...but I could sure make some improvements around here. Oh, and I don't play the lottery, although when the jackpot gets huge like that, my husband usually buys a ticket.

• sjerin
    10 years ago

I also don't understand why they don't spread the booty around to more winners. Winning a ridiculous sum of money is a sure way to wreck one's life, imo.

• Sally Brownlee
    10 years ago

I would love to help as many people as possible, but selfishly I would want to know where the dollars are going.

This is random...but my thoughts as they came...

My dream would be to have a couple hundred acres and homestead of sorts.

I want an old farmhouse I can fix up with no restrictions and no stressing over the cost of material.

I want to have a small ranch ouside that gives me a reason to get up every morning to feed and say hello to the critters.

I want to go back in the house a fix my lover a nice breakfast before he wanders out to do whatever it is he does.

I want to plant a huge community garden. I will buy all the plants....neighbors can help plant, weed and harvest what they need.
    (I think I want to have free range animals for food...But not too sure... I would probably let myself get too attached !)

I would want to set up a community center that would teach people everything from cooking and home canning lessons, to free financial seminars, home DIY lessons, and give the kids some safe chores so they can learn to earn money.

I want give money to the school to keep the kids extra programs. I love sports but I would make sure their music programs are well funded, Along with FFA, FBLA, AV , Drama club, etc

I want to help give the special needs teachers every resource possible.

I want one of those RTV's to run around the farm.

I want to go to bed content that I did good every day and no one in my community is without food, shelter,medicine or an education.

I want my own shooting range.

I want to make sure my family never, ever worries about how to get through till next pay day.

I would love to make my ranch a destination for wounded vets to recouperate in peace and privacy.

I have really no desire to travel or have multiple homes... Jim only wants a motor home and a new bass boat (but he likes a lot of my ideas, too)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

10% to my church with the stipulation that they fund each and every one of the charities maintained by our members. And there are a lot! From escaping sex trafficking, to providing poor teens with new clothes, to battered women... the list goes on. There are already so many great people and ideas going, so funding them is my dream.

Payoff/buy friends and family members' houses and cars and some get extra to live off of, like my mom, so she can quit worrying. Others are already pretty well set.

Setup my son for the rest of his life (school, living expenses) so he can attain his dream of solving cancer, heart disease, whatever he chooses.

Setup my living expenses for my life remainder, just so I can quit worrying about it. Get it out of the way. I'm sure I'd buy a house and car, pay off my debts, and live pretty much the same way. I do what I love and my son is still in school, so it's not like I'd travel. And I love home too much to really be gone too often. I do like to travel, but not to the exculsion of all else. I'd like to buy and rennovate homes, because it's fun, not even anything more than being able to fix up all of Nashville. It'd be nice, but not a money maker.

The rest? Goes into a poverty fund. A place where people can apply for grants and a board of people decide who gets what and for how long. Just give it away. I'd make sure it was kept up like some sort of "foundation" so it could last as long as possible. For those who need legal help and can't afford it. For better housing. To feed the children.... many many more. Not for business start ups though. I mean charity.

• Chi
    10 years ago

I don't have a lot of friends and family, but those I do have would be helped. I would offer my grandparents whatever they want, though I doubt they will accept.

I would buy a nice, safe house and cars for my brother, his wife and nephew and I would set up a college fund for my nephew. I probably wouldn't give them much cold hard cash as he isn't very responsible yet and it would make me nervous to see what he does with it.

I would give money to some select friends to do whatever they wish with it.

I would buy a nice house but nothing crazy or huge. I would splurge on a kitchen - I want a huge one with tons of storage, pantries, and top of the line appliances.

I would quit my job immediately and start my own business.

I would probably hire a full time housekeeper. That's obviously a benefit for me, but it also provides a good job for someone.

With the rest, I would help animals (I have a much softer spot for animals than humans, I don't know why) and also foster kids who I think are always overlooked and have a really tough time of it. I'd love to help provide a safe and loving spot for as many as I can.

My splurge would be an around-the-world cruise. I don't like flying but I want to see the world!

This is fun. Now I just need to win! lol

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

dh always has said he'd build a complex for our 4 kids and families to live around a lake....not to hard here in mi, lol...but most of all, all 9 grands have college funds...

he's love to incorporate with them into some sort of business venture...like making soccer fields...