Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Christmas Eve?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 17:19

When I was young, we went to my Grandma's house for Christas Eve. We always had oyster stew with oyster crackers, and little Fostoria bowls of celery, radishes and olives. Now I have her Fostoria bowls and think of her every time I use them. Good memories.

Tonight we're having leftover chili and crackers. California kids come in the Spring and FL daughter comes for T-giving. Wish I'd had a whole bunch of kids! Do you have a traditional Christmas Eve dinner? Or want to share a memory of Christmas past?

Wishing all of you the very best, merriest Christmas! Love you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Christmas Eve?

Sold all my Fostoria few years back.

No Christmas Eve memories when I was young.

Married years, mine was spent in the kitchen and I prepared a special beef roast served over spaghetti.

Five Guys late for a little burger and sat with a friend and her husband. Nice chatting!

o

Santa is coming by at six to visit the girls and tell them to go to bed early! We are having Buffalo Chicken Dip, veggie tray, fruit tray, cheese and sausage tray and a Mrs. Prindable apple. Big dinner tomorrow night.

o

Our traditional Christmas eve dinner: boiled shrimp, guacamole with chips and champagne fondue with French bread and fruit.

Tomorrow we will have a pre-ski brunch with eggs Benedict, sherried fruit and milk punch. Then dinner apres ski of turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, asparagus casserole, green beans and ambrosia. Other than making the Benedict and cooking the turkey, everything is made ahead and we will have left-overs the rest of the week. No more cooking for me! And it's Snowing!

Merry Christmas to all!

o

I am having turkey, ham, dressing and gravy, macaroni and cheese, pineapple casserole, mustard greens, corn casserole, mexican cornbread, rolls, and tea.
For dessert I have pecan pie, blueberry cobbler and a peach cobbler with ice cream. I am having 16 for dinner.
Oh yeah, I'm exhausted.

o

Much as I like chili, I'd still prefer the oyster stew.

My uncle, who lived in Moundsville, WV, worked at Fostoria Glass for most of his adult life. What's funny is that kids often don't know the true value of things. When I graduated from high school, they sent me this milk glass 'thing' with a lid on it. I used it to put small odds/ends. Wasn't till a few years ago that I realized it was Fostoria ware. Jenny Lind Cameo.

Tonight's meal was pizza and a small piece of carrot cake.

Shirley

o

For dinner it is left over lasagna for my husband, as I don't eat that I don't know what I will have. For tomorrow I made a carmelized apple cake & a cho. pie (made with homemade cho. puddding). Tomorrow it will be turkey & all that goes with it. Hope everyone has a great Christmas

o

Boiled shrimp and a baked potato. I'm too tired to fix anything else. Getting ready for a huge breakfast in the morning and a big meal mid-afternoon.

Merry Christmas again, everyone!

o

Glenda, I just couldn't ever sell Grandma's bowls. I have bought more over the years at flea markets and I love having it because of her. I just love 5 Guys--'specially the fries.

Terilyn, Harry spent a few years dressed as Santa for our friends/family kiddos. One year it was so hot his fake eyebrows fell off--and another year he forgot the "boot" thingies and Santa had on Dockers boat shoes. Kids didn't seem to notice, though. I have one of those Mrs. Prindable's apples in my frig. A gift from my DSis and BIL. Did you ever see an apple that big? The packaging says to slice it into 10 slices--and each slice has 160 calories. Yikes! I can't wait ;-)

Mojomom, I want to come to your house! Seriously!! I think you are in for a wonderful Christmas, and your meals sound terrific! If you have time after the holidays, would you share how you do your asparagus casserole?

o

Our traditional Christmas eve dinner: boiled shrimp, guacamole with chips and champagne fondue with French bread and fruit.

Tomorrow we will have a pre-ski brunch with eggs Benedict, sherried fruit and milk punch. Then dinner apres ski of turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, asparagus casserole, green beans and ambrosia. Other than making the Benedict and cooking the turkey, everything is made ahead and we will have left-overs the rest of the week. No more cooking for me! And it's Snowing!

Merry Christmas to all!

o

For Christmas my sister gave me an awesome Aroma rice cooker plus that also sautes, steams, simmers, etc. It is an awesome machine which I have been wanting since she got hers at Christmas a year ago. I couldn't find the one that sautes here she had to order it online.
So tonight I am cooking first meal in it.
A smoked sausage and potatoes dish with onions, cream cheese, wine, seasonings etc, we call it sausage potato gravy. It can be served as is or over rice or noodles.

It sure is smelling great.

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroma cooker

o

Thanks, Patti!

The asparagus casserole uses canned asparagus and is super easy. This makes a lot, but you can halve it easily.

4 cans asparagus
8 hard boiled eggs
Two sleeves Ritz crackers
12 oz any creamy cheese melted.
2 cans cream of celery soup
About 1/2 cup white wine or a little more depending on the type of cheese.
White pepper

Make a sauce with the cheese, soup, wine and a few dashes of white pepper. Layer 2 cans of asparagus, four eggs sliced, 1 sleeve crushed ritz, and half the sauce. Repeat. Cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Juice from the asparagus can be substituted for wine. You just need something to thin the soup/cheese mixture to a fairly thick sauce.

o

My SIL has Mom's Fostoria. She's the caregiver for all the heirlooms the rest of us don't have room or need for.

Christmas Eve has traditionally been the one night out of the year that DH cooks. He always made us pita pizzas. Not exciting, but I didn't have to cook so it was wonderful.

Well, now that we've moved, we decided to meet DD for a late lunch (she didn't get out of work until after 1 this afternoon). In keeping with our Christmas Eve theme, we had margharita pizza at Bertucci's. And dessert--she had chocolate mousse, DH had chocolate cake, I had their Lemoncello cake. That way we were all able to get back to our homes before the deer were out, and the snow/rain mess started.

o

When our kids were home our dinner was a delivered pizza, then driving around looking at Christmas lites~~
Now it is sometimes still pizza. DS gave us a gift card for the Mission Inn downtown, I wanted to go for the Christmas Eve buffet~~~but we are too tired;( So dinner will be left overs from last night, we will each fix our own so I still do not have to cook;) Merry Merry to Me;)

o

We had pulled pork, Brunswick Stew and Napa Salad. Dessert was Pecan Pie ad Pumpkin Pie.

o

We had our family celebration this past weekend, so tonight is very quiet, and peaceful. I had crab legs, garlic toast, glass of wine and a chocolate. Sounds like a balanced meal to me!!

o

We had quiche and cole slaw. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with my friend who is 1500 miles away. Oh, how I wish she could be here tonight! We've been friends for 70 years!!

o

We went to a beautiful candlelight service at a historic downtown church. We didn't really have time to prep & eat dinner either before or after, so we went to a favorite restaurant (one of the few open after 6pm here). DH had a personal size pizza & I had a loaded baked potato & Caesar salad. We split a bowl of New England clam chowder as an appetizer. Came home & I made my mom's cherry cheesecake pie while DH bottled the homemade limoncello for gifts for tomorrow. It was a very nice Christmas Eve.

o

I was planning to make oyster stew tonight but I went to 4:30 church and again at 7 and didn't have time to cook in between so the stew will have to wait until tomorrow. DS arrives early Wed. morning and then more cooking will begin.

o

Just having snacks was worth every minute!

o

We were invited to a friends home for dinner and she made Baked Ham, homemade potato salad, sweet potatoes, baked beans and I brought southern style green beans with bacon and onions. Lots of desserts, also.
Tomorrow is breakfast and dinner with all the kids, grandkids, and assorted inlaws and friends at our house. I can't wait!!!
Eileen

o

We never had a special meal for Christmas Eve growing up, just whatever Mother fixed I guess. There were just the four of us and we always got to have Santa come on Christmas Eve. Usually no company on Christmas Day either, so we just played with our things we got Christmas Eve. I was not feeling well earlier in the evening so I just had toast and hot tea and went to bed early. I woke up and felt better so I went to the kitchen and have the beef in the crock pot for the Beef Manhattans tomorrow evening. We will have turkey and all the trimmings at Amber's. I am taking most of the food, not the turkey, Cheryl is taking that. Merry Christmas everyone. We are expecting a major snow on Wed. morning.

Sue in Central Indiana

o

Was a quiet day here. I got the prime rib rubbed down and in the fridge. Also peeled and slice the carrots so I don't have to do that tomorrow. Made the chocolate cream pie so all is ready to put together for Christmas dinner.

Bobby and Amber won't be here until after 2 so our day will be very quiet. Dinner tonight was leftover lamb, rice and spinach casserole from last night.

Merry Christmas everyone.

o

Alaskan king crab legs, shrimp, baked potatoes and Caesar salad with Christmas cookies and candy for dessert, was so good. Merry Christmas!!

o

Our 'out-laws' (DIL's parents) have a traditional Polish Christmas Vigil meal on Christmas Eve. Last night there were twenty of us at table.

Champagne is served before dinner. Then there is a sharing of wafers where each person greets every other person attending, eating bits of one another's wafers. The purpose is to mend any old year's discords and wish good things for the coming year.

The table is set with the best china, silver and crystal. There is straw under the white tablecloth to evoke the manger in the stable. DIL's father reads from the Bible -- and this year recounted his first nativity play, where he played the ass! Then the meal begins with homemade soup made from imported Polish mushrooms. (Evidently becoming scarce.)

Salmon has been a welcome addition to dinner in recent years. The rest of the meal is varieties of pirogi and cooked cabbage. After dinner there is an enormous sweets table with homemade cakes, cookies and candy. (DGS pointed out the six kinds of cookies and the caramels he had helped his mom make. Doubly delicious!)

When the children can't stand it another second, the mound presents under the tree is attacked! Towards the end of that, carols are sung in English and in Polish. DH and I drive home while some of the family goes on to mass. (DH and I are not Catholic -- which becomes more 'OK' with passing years. It's nice to visit with DIL's big, extended family.)

Today is bright and sunny near Lake Michigan's shores. I see walkers, joggers, and dog walkers passing along our street already. DH and I have had our breakfast -- with the stollen I *finally* found!

Happy Christmas Day, good KT friends!

o

We went to a friend's daughter's house for dinner last night. I brought an antipasto salad because she was serving baked ziti and meatballs. For dessert, we had ice cream cake. It was very nice. We returned home around 8:00 just about a half hour before DS arrived here. He got caught in a terrible blizzard snow storm and wasn't sure he'd even get here last night, so we were happy to have him arrive safe and sound. I had some of the antipasto salad saved for him along with our usually shrimp, crab and scallop chowder. We watched A Christmas Story after that. All in all, a nice evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here