Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm stupid stupid stupid

Posted by jkayd_il5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 17:17

I have five sisters and since Mom is gone we don't have any Christmas gathering. We see each other often but not always all together so I had a luncheon today. I don't entertain often so it was a big deal getting my house clean, decorated and the food prepared plus a few other things happening in my life. Last night I make a cheesecake type dessert. I posted the recipe in the October recipes here. I baked the crust and make the filling, poured over the baked crust and put in the refrigerator. Did you catch it? I forgot to bake the whole thing. Today when I served the dessert I couldn't figure out why it didn't set up. Everyone liked it and had two small serving each, with a spoon and bowl. After everyone left I reread the recipe and realized my mistake. Dumb, dumb. dumb. It has two eggs in it, I know it's too late but do you think anyone will get sick? I use Eggland's Best Eggs. I have one sister with several health problems and I would hate hate to have her get sick. She doesn't need anymore problems. I am sick about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm stupid stupid stupid

Nah, you are not stupid... just forgetful. Call the sis with the health problems, and let her know. That way, she will be aware, if something goes wrong.

Bake the rest, and eat it too, and enjoy!

Moni

o

I'm sorry, Jkayd. We just get too busy this time of year. I doubt if anyone will get ill. Most Caesar salads have raw egg yolk in them--at least the really good ones.

I hope you had a wonderful time with your sisters. I have 5 sisters, too!--And a sweet brother.

Please don't worry too much especially using the Eggland's Best, but if you think you should, you could call them or e-mail.

And you aren't stupid--just busy!! It was very kind of you to host the party.

o

Assuming you were careful with the eggs and the batter I doubt anyone would get sick, but I sure would feel an obligation to warn someone susceptible of the possibility so they can watch for reactions and/or take preventative action. Assuming all goes well, you'll have a great laugh in a week or two.

It was a mistake. An accident. Big deal. It happens. But I'm the type who believes in taking responsibility for our actions/inactions when there's ramifications or possible ones. I wouldn't cover it up.

o

I think they would have started feeling bad by now if it was going to happen, my dad used to drink raw eggs and tomato juice as his hangover remedy~~~he was fine.

Do not beat yourself up over it~~~as soon as you know everyone is fine, you and your sisters will have a big LOL over it and make it a family story to tell over and over;)

o

Wow, this sounds like something I would do.
I think they make a BIG deal nowadays about raw eggs. My dad use to swallow 2 raw eggs a day and it didn't kill him
I would let them all know just in case!

o

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh. We all do stupid things like that. People eat raw cookie dough with eggs in it all the time and I don't know of anyone getting sick from it. I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to call sis with health issues but I'm sure she'll be just fine, too.

o

Of course, we've all done stuff like that.

But given how very dangerous raw eggs can be for someone with health problems, you really do have to call your sisters (all of them) and warn them about what happened. I'm a very healthy person and lost a week of my life a few years back to food poisoning from the raw eggs in Ceasar dressing I ate at a restaurant. I don't want to make you feel worse, really, but it can be a pretty serious situation, and it's not fair not to warn them all.

o

It doesn't matter how careful you were with the eggs or whether they had been in proper refrigeration the entire time or not. Salmonella can infect both the outside and the inside of the egg. I think you should tell all of your sisters just to be on the safe side.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Fact Sheet on Eggs

o

I just googled the chances of getting ill from raw eggs. I found many sites that say there is a 1 in 30,000 chance of getting sick! Some sites say its even higher than 30,000. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Those are pretty safe odds.
I hope that makes you feel better. :)

o

Oh summershine it does make me feel better but I am still so worried about my sister. She is just getting her life back in order after both her and her husband's illnesses. I don't want to ruin her holiday by maybe being really sick. I am so scared for her.

o

if you're that scared call her asap! better than sitting and fretting...

o

I'm sorry I had to laugh too. This is exactly something like I would do. We never got sick from eating anything with raw eggs. A few weeks ago I forgot to put the sugar in a pumpkin pie I made. I think it is a natural thing for me to do stupid things.

o

up until about 20 years ago, I made eggnog every year with raw eggs and no one got sick.

o

I am guessing that while you and your sisters were eating, and enjoying the dessert, you probably mentioned the ingredients and that you had not baked it. If raw eggs affect your sister she would have mentioned it, don't you think? Even so, to make yourself feel better, phone or email each one, then sit back and relax. You can't change anything now.

About raw eggs, my DF would often drink a glass of milk with two raw eggs in it. Not mixed up, just whole. He said it made his stomach feel good. Made my stomach queasy just to see him do that. :>)

Watching cupcake wars this evening, one of the ladies baked a batch of cupcakes, then realized she had left out one ingredient . . . sweet potatoes. Look at it this way, at least you weren't on TV!

Sue

o

She said "After everyone left I reread the recipe and realized my mistake." So no, it wasn't discussed while eating it.

jkayd, yes, I would suggest, as others have, that you call your sisters. Regardless of the amount of risk, or lack of risk, it will weigh on your mind while you're waiting to see if anyone gets sick. So why not just call them?

o

My parents got sick from my eating half cooked chicken that an elderly relative "sort of cooked". Both ended up in the hospital. The relative's response was "oh I thought the chicken smelled a little funny".... we all just slapped ourselves on the forehead.

We all still eat this relative's cooking, but the preparation is watched more closely and she is lovingly picked on occasionally.

Things like this happen to be best cooks.... let your sisters know just so everyone knows what is going on. Your sister with the health issues may want to let her MD know. Depending on what was wrong with her, the MD might want to see here or might just tell her to call if she noticed a problem.

I would eat your dessert (but then I still lick brownie and cake batter from the bowl and both have raw eggs!)

o

Sounds just like something I would do!

o

jkayd, thought you might like to know that I had a luncheon today and part of the dessert was an almond cookie. I made them yesterday and when I tasted one, it just didn't taste that good. I've been making these cookies for over 30 years. I went back over the recipe and yes, I included all the ingredients but in giving it more real thought, I realized I had used corn starch instead of baking soda. I had to remake them at 11:00 last night. So now you can laugh at me. What comes around goes around or something like that! LOL

p.s. I did tell your story (and mine) at the luncheon today. We all had a good laugh.

o

Hi everyone, my huband has a out of town (5 hours away) meeting tomorrow. I usually go with him so today we left but before leaving the house I called my sister and asked her if she felt OK because I goofed up the dessert. She assured me she was fine and I don't feel sick either so maybe my goof up won't turn out to bad. You would not believe all her health problems so that is why I was so worried. I sure didn't want to cause her anymore problems. I do know it could still hit but hoping it won't. Thank you for putting up with me and my craziness.

o

I am glad she is feeling well....I think if she were to have adverse side effects they would have shown up by now.
I bet you will not make that mistake again.
I can only imagine how awful you have been feeling about the mistake.

o

I saw this exact same thing on Dr. Oz last week. Should you drink Eggnog made with raw eggs? Well, for someone with a compromised immune system (infants, elderly and transplant or chemo recipients) NO, but for the general public,YES, maybe one in two thousand eggs carries salmonella bacteria.

o

Glad everyone seems to be okay.

Now, I've never made a cheesecake before, but can't you tell the difference between a baked one and a raw one? Is it mostly the consistency of cream cheese?

o

I have a no bake cheesecake recipe with out eggs, care to have it? :)

o

Georgysmom I cook in a restaurant and one night one of the night cooks made a cake from scratch and she put corstarch instead of flour in it. It didn't turn out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here