Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Friday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 17:11

Oh dear! Spent 1-1/2 hours in Publix mainly trying to fight the crowd. I won't even tell you how much our bill was, but we hadn't been for a serious shopping trip since before Thanksgiving, so guess I shouldn't complain.

DSis called and asked if we'd gotten a package--and we had. I'd put it under the tree but she said we should open it. Harry was sure happy--sometimes he's worse than a kid! Anyway, they had bought us one of those huge caramel/chocolate covered apples. It also has walnuts and pecans. I read the label--it said to cut into 10 slices. Each slice has 160 calories. Ahh, 'tis the season :-)

I picked up a turkey/cranberry relish sub at the store. By the time we got everything in the house and put away, I was sure glad I did.

What are you having for dinner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Friday?

Yes, tis the season! I stopped by Panera's and ordered half a dozen cinnamon crunch bagels and honey walnut cream cheese spread, that I'll pick up on Monday.. Those things are addicting. Had them at a Christmas brunch the other Saturday.

Jasons Deli: serving of tuna salad with crackers and a serving of their mixed nuts.

o

I made a bulgur casserole today. Had that for my evening meal, along with a side dish of cottage cheese, peaches, topped with a few walnuts.

I'm trying to skip over the parts of your posts that mention all those goodies. I think even reading about them adds calories to my day.

Shirley

o

Glenda, those bagels sound wonderful--and I'm not a huge bagel fan. I would love your lunch, too.

Shirley, you're such a good girl, you put me to shame. I would be happy with just the cottage cheese salad, if I had will power. Come on over--I'll slice that apple and we'll eat our hearts out (huh--didn't mean that literally)!

o
RE: What's for dinner F riday?

Those bagels are awesome! So light~ I had to place an order to pickup on Monday afternoon, as lady told they are their first to go every day.

o

sausage and rice casserole, I have been craving it, so I am going to end that!

o

I just got in. I had a Christmas luncheon to go to today and then I went grocery shopping for Christmas dinner, etc. Then I wen to the hairdresser for a haircut, then Chico's to return a top I bought the day after Thanksgiving. Two weeks ago I was in the store and saw the same top in a different color and I liked it better so I bought that one and finally got around to returning the first one. When I was in the store two weeks ago I saw a beautiful silver jacket that I really liked but didn't need. It was $149.00. At that price I decided I REALLY didn't need it. Today I was just checking out the sale rack and there was this same jacket on sale...39.99 and when it rung up in the cash register it was $26.59. Merry Christmas to me!

I had two pieces of Jarlsburg cheese and that's my dinner. DH is on his own tonight. The other night when I was going to make hamburgers he only wanted half of one so there's a hamburger in the fridge waiting to be cooked. I think he can handle that.

o

Raven, that sausage and rice sounds good. Hope you get your fill! Sometimes I read what people are having for dinner and just think about it until I make it and, as you said, get my fill. Enjoy, friend!

Georgysmom, you scored high on the scale with your jacket buy from Chico's. I love to look at their clothes. I'm to short and "round" but you are just right for those beautiful clothes. I think you get the "Shopper of the Day" star. Good for you!!! Wrap that baby up and put it under the tree :-)

o

I am fighting a cold so I just made Lipton Chicken Noodle soup for me. DH had his Christmas party today so he wasn't hungry. Right now I'm having hot chocolate with cinnamon scnapps in it.

o

I'd treated myself to a spiral ham earlier in the week--they were on sale.

Tonight was ham, grilled pineapple, roasted potatoes and homemade cole slaw.

cut off what was left of the ham, put most in the freezer, boiled the bone for stock--don't have time to make soup this weekend, but it will be nice to have in a week or so.

o

I made chili soup today for our supper. It has been a pretty cold day, never got higher than 27 and started out at 20 this morning with wind. I have been wrapping the last of the presents and trying to fix some things that I can ahead of time for our Christmas Day meal. We have a little snow on the ground with a major snow coming in either Christmas day evening or the next day.

Sue in Central Indiana

o

I marinated some pork chops in soy sauce then coated them with corn starch and fried them. They were so good and tender. Also had steamed rice, corn and applesauce.

o

I made a pot of chicken noodle soup (with lots of carrots, celery, and onion) with noodles. I haven't been feeling great and this was the perfect supper for us.

o

All those soups sure sound good. It's cold here this morning. Had to turn the heat up when I got up. It was 36 outside--and still is according to my thermometer. I have the tree lights on it it sure seems like Christmas. Going to be even colder tonight. The paper says it'll drop to 30 tonight. Isn't it funny how we all seem to want chicken soup when we aren't feeling well? I like to make egg drop soup. So easy when you don't feel good.

Bengardening, sure hope you feel better before the holidays. Take care!

Azzalea, were you able to find small spiral ham? I looked at the (briefly) at the store yesterday, but they were all 5 or more pounds.

Nita, I will have to tell DSD about frying in cornstarch. She doesn't eat gluten, so I bet she'd like to try that. (Of course, she uses gluten-free soy sauce, which is about the saltiest thing I've ever tasted.)

o

Patti, I use cornstarch instead of breading on a number of things......particularly for my gluten free friends. The other thing I do is use either oatmeal (for fillers)or potato flakes (for breading) instead of bread crumbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here