Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you give or receive this at Christmas?

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 17:07

Someone always gets one, and usually with a $5 taped to the bottom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you give or receive this at Christmas?

I give, but rarely receive.

o
RE: Do you gibbbve or receive this at Christmas?

I slways received until an adult, then everyone received from me. I've just decreased the numbers of boxes, now, in giving.

o

Nope, I don't like them. Any other kind of chocolates=yes!

o

yep, usually I give myself a box.

o

My husband and I have a used car lot, we sell cars on contract and collect payments here...for the past 20 years the month of December when a customer makes his payment, we give out a box of these very same choc. covered cherries. Each one wrapped and with a bow... I have just in the past few days wrapped 4 cases of these , that is 144 boxes.... so yep... we big time give them...

o

I did when I was working, give & receive. I love them.

o

I have always given them to my father for Christmas. We love them!

o

I usually buy myself a box.

o

I don't give them and I don't receive them. My husband likes them and the kids will give him some. Once in awhile I will eat one, one is plenty for me.

Sue

o

Same as Teresa I hate them. Some of my In-laws like them so they give hubby some sometimes. He likes them.

o

I like them, rarely buy or give them. We did receive a box this season, from a 4th cousin in Croatia. A real treat over there, more so than here - good chocolate is very expensive. Anytime we've had family visit from the old country, they fill up on chocolates, then load up to take home when they go back so I know these were a dear and extravagant gift.

o

Neither!
I don't care for them. I guess if I knew someone loved them, I would give them a box.

o

Mom and I rang bells for the Salvation Army last night at KMart. After our relief came, we went into shop a bit. I came out with a box of those cherries. By the next morning they were all gone. Of course there was only 10 in the box. $1.50. Needless to say, I love them. Have you tried the blueberry ones? I haven't yet.

o

I make them for Christmas(with Napoleon Brandy in the centers) - so, yes, I do give them at Christmas (with proof of age, of course :)

o

no but i would always receive the cheese/sausage box set

samkaren
your resident dj

o

I have to ask . . . is this a custom of some kind? If so it is new to me. Back when I was growing up there was always a box of CC cherries around at Christmas time. I never gave or received any though. I don't care for them. That is the only chocolate candy that I think is too sweet.

Here at the KT a mention of CC cherries always reminds me of Judy, who loved them. I hope her MIL is doing better and Judy gets some cc cherries for Christmas.

Sue

o

omg dh loves them but havn't gotten them for years...maybe i'll look for some, lol...

o

I vaguely know what they are, but I don't give or receive them. I didn't realize they were a customary gift at Christmas.

o

Never gave them... will be happy to never receive them!

o

It has become tradition to put a box of those in my mother's Christmas stocking. Hers only. She's 85 this year.

o

hate them. They taste gross! lol

o

If we have them, I buy a box~~~not everyone here likes them. The kids will each eat one for fun~~thinking it is 'Old School' candy. I am not eating sugar anymore, so I will not buy any:( No Sees Candies either, I usually always buy a box of them also;(

o

I like this kind best of all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cella's Cherries at Walgreens

o

Never heard of them, but I got deathly sick on chocolate covered cherries when I was 10, so never had them since.

o

DH and I give everyone attending dinner a box. I don't think I have ever received one. I like them and DH loves them

o

Cella's clear liquids are the only ones I like.

Last year I recieved the red cherry and blueberry boxes. eww. Finally told my in laws that I didn't care for them. Felt like I was lying when I opened my gift last year and acted like all was good. My son took them, thankfully.

o

I remember when they were a dollar a box! Yes, they are part of The Season at my house.

o

LOL--we've already eaten two boxes of the dark chocolate ones. The milk chocolate is too sweet, but those dark chocolates are yummy! No, I've never given them or received them. Just buy my own stash :-)

o

Poohbear that's the kind DH likes. The ones with the clear liquid in the center, not the white cream. I just bought 3 boxes of them for him at Big Lots this week.

They are o.k., I'll def eat them, but DH likes them a lot more.

o

My dad liked them so we'd "gibbbve" him a box at the holidays on occasion. Never liked them myself.

o

I have a big-g-g sweet tooth, only a few kinds of candy I don't like. My husband on the other hand can do without sweets but he does like chocolate covered cherries. A box doesn't last long around here.

o

Too sweet for me, but the milk chocolates with liquid and real cherries were my grandmother's favorites. I only remember them at Christmas, but I didn't know they were traditional. As a child I thought the Whitman's were great because you could use the 'map' in the lid to avoid the candies you didn't like. (Beats poking a hole in the bottom and putting it back!)

No 'drugstore candy' eaten here anymore.

o

No....makes my teeth hurt to look at them, but I had some made at a candy shop in Pennsylvania, and they were the best ever. Now, those were terrific!

o

Marilyn, I've made them before--one time. They're delicious, but a real PITA. Maybe I should try again. Maybe I'm more patient now. Naw, I don't think so.

o

My husband and I love the Queen Ann CCCherries. We use to use them as stocking stuffers and buy them for ourselves. They are yummy...one thing you look forward to, like fruitcake. Yes, I like fruitcake too. Mine especially, but I did not get to make one this year and I am craving fruitcake.

o

we always have two boxes of them, they were my Dads favorite so everyone eats one in remembrance of him.
(even if they don't like them)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here