Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the Correct Site for the Do Not Call Registry

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 16:40

I've been getting lots of telemarketer/spam calls so I guess it's time to re-sign up. I googled it and came up with several sites. Once I started filling one out I wondered if it might simply be a fake site set up to get people's phone numbers and email addresses (required).

Maybe not, but does anyone know the "real" one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the Correct Site for the Do Not Call Registry

Look in your phone book for a telephone # There are two ( I think) numbers, one is for the state and one for national.

o

www.donotcall.gov

Note the dot GOV

ML

o

Is it necessary to re-sign up? I just figured that so few are being prosecuted for violating the law that they go ahead and make the (mostly) robocalls anyway.

o

Here is the site for Canada. I had to call them recently and it does seem to have worked. I also renewed my listing as it was about to run out in 2013.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Do Not Call site

o

Thanks, all.

Sjerin, from what I understand, once you sign up, it's only good for 5 years and you need to sign up again. I didn't get many for a long time, but now they've started in full-force again.

As far as I'm concerned, signing up is better than not signing up, regardless of whether the violators are prosecuted or not.

I'm signin' back up now!

o

The US DNC list does NOT expire after 5 years. It used to but that was changed. From Donotcall.gov
"Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. Read more about it at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/04/dncfyi.shtm"
Also note:
"The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free."

o

I think the Do Not Call registry is a joke. It did seem to help for a while, but it's back to the same old, same old. I only wish I could convince the DH not to pick up the phone if the name is not displayed. He'd rather b!t@h and moan I guess.... Me...I don't answer if I don't recognize the number calling.

o

Thanks, Cynic. I didn't know that. I think I'll try it agan just in case, though. It's getting crazy. I do not pick up the phone if I don't know the ID, but often they stay on just until my machine picks up, and then I get a call registered and it's a pain.

o

I get a least one phone call a day from RACHEL at
cardholder services. ARg! She is recorded, but I have
pressed a number to speak to a human. Once I decided to
ask about credit card rates, it didn't really matter as we
pay ours off every month, but I was curious. The woman
asked what our percentage rate is, when I told her, she
HUNG up on ME! Hey, THEY called. sheesh. The other times I
have requested that they put me ON the do NOT call list.
I've done that many times to no avail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here