SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

I made the penguins out of olives... 3 pix

FlamingO in AR
16 years ago

OK, here's a platter o' penguins! I liked how they looked patriotic, they must live in an American zoo or something, instead of Antarctica. lol They were a huge hit at the ornament party, people were snapping photos and at the end of the party, people wanted to take one or 2 home, so I was snapping off little bits of ice floes for them to use to hold them upright, with their little toothpicks doing their job. I had a container of them in the fridge so I was able to replenish them as needed. I made about 45, took about 4 hours. Very labor intensive, filling them and then licking off the excess cheese on each olive was tedious. (I'm just KIDDING! I wiped them off. Sheesh.) lolol I made it harder by trying eyes (don't bother, not cute) and wings (too hard to do). Two peeps working together would have made it much faster. I gave half of them salami scarves, they looked nice being a bit different... the groupings were fun and cute, you could turn their heads so they looked like they were talking. And one was either swimming or dead, the hostess's kids couldn't decide. They popped in for a snack and left quickly, too many wimmens for them!

I got this idea from a recipe link that Lydia posted- if you ever make them, use colassal olives for the bodies and small for the heads, add Ranch dip mix to the cream cheese and get long fancy toothpicks. Also, be prepared for broken olives, buy an extra can or two. And make your platter the day before, by the time you're done making the pengies you're going to be a bit sick of them. :)

I'll post more about the ornament party later, OK?

Here is a link that might be useful: Penguin recipe

Comments (30)