SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Books you *don't* recommend.

alisande
9 years ago

Everyone's different, so if I tell someone I disliked a book I always say, "But don't take my word for it. See how you like it."

That said, I've been listening to the audio version of David Sidaris' book, Holidays on Ice. I've found it so disappointing. He can be so very funny, and I did laugh practically nonstop at one of the essays in this collection: the one about the Dutch version of Santa Claus. But so far the other essays have run the gamut from "not funny" to "unfunny."

He makes fun of elementary and middle school Christmas plays. The kids are his victims. Not funny. One essay is a parable about greed in which the narrator and his wife give their twin sons to a sexual predator, and the twins die. Unfunny. I cut off another essay in mid-stream because a couple of Amazon reviews warned that it contains the torture of a newborn baby.

Apparently the essay that made Sidaris famous--the hilarious one about his stint as a department store Christmas elf--is in this collection. But at this point I don't think I'll even bother searching for it.

Any book you'd like to warn us about? ;-)

Comments (38)