Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First batch done

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 16:08

Decorated the cookies yesterday. I needed something to put on the table first and found this pretty vinyl tablecloth at DG for $4. It looked so festive that I've decided to leave it on there for awhile. Cookies went today to a local pet health store I frequent, the staff are always so helpful. You should have seen their faces light up when I carried that big plate of cookies in. Didn't take long for them to dig in either! "These won't last long", I heard someone say. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First batch done

Oh gosh those look good! Pretty tablecloth too.

o

Yummy looking cookies!

o

Those decorated cookies sure take a lot of time. They turned out so pretty. I bet you'll be their favorite visitor for a long time!

o

Very nice! I love that they are kinda puffy, the cookies. They look like the soft kind... do you have a recipe to share? Usually sugar cookies to me, turn out flat and hard. I love soft cookies.

o

They do look good!

o

Sure, here is the recipe. I found it years ago in between the pages of an old book:
"Mother's Sugar Cookies"

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2/3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
3 2/3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream butter and 2 cups sugar with soda, salt and vanilla. Add beaten eggs. Sift flour and baking powder together. Add to creamed mixture. Chill dough till firm enough to roll out on floured pastry cloth. Roll a little sugar in on top of the dough. Cut with biscuit cutter or into fancy shapes.
Bake at 425 till brown on a greased and floured cookie sheet. (I only bake until the bottoms are brown, not the entire cookie)

Then someone wrote: "This recipe is very old. Do not add any liquid other than the eggs. I have won with it many times".

o

yummy! They look so big!

o
yield

Oh forgot. The recipe doesn't mention how many it makes but I can get about 28 cut-out cookies from one batch of dough.

o

What a nice thing for you to do!

o

nummy nummy nummy! I LOVE sugar cookies! I might need to try this!

o

Yummy! I like those big thick ones with icing piled on top.

o

Please share your icing recipe you use too. I love this kind of cookie, but I have never made iced ones I liked. Yours look yummy!!!!!

o

Yes, the icing recipe would be great. I put this in "Our Recipes" also.

o

For the icing, I usually just use the recipe on the bag of confectionery sugar with butter added.

But, I must confess I used canned frosting Wednesday. I actually like the confectionery sugar recipe better because the icing hardens off more, not break your teeth hard, but you know what I mean. Better for cut-outs.

o

Is "butter" really necessary or will margarine do? I never buy butter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here