Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
georgsmom: cranberry sausage balls recipe, etc

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 15:48

Just making sure you see this and anyone else.

Cranberry sausage balls
My version of cranberry sausage balls

l pkg Maple Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage You can use mild or hot, but I like the maple flavor
2 cups all purpose baking mix
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground allspice **I made my own: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup or less of chopped dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix the baking mix, cheddar cheese and ground allspice first, then with your hands mix in the sausage, cranberries, pecans. It takes a while to work in the cranberries and pecans.

Shape into 1 inch balls.
Place on ungreased baking sheet, ***I use parchment paper and recommend your using.
They baked in my oven 20 minutes and came out perfect. Bottoms will be browner than the rest.
Note: Cheese Balls may be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked. To bake from frozen: thaw on cookie sheet 15 minutes; bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes

They were delicious in their unusual way. The maple sausage and the allspice is what made it extra good.
In comparison with the regular sausage balls, all I can say is they are different.

You get more of a sausagie taste with the regular one, but I would make these again in a heartbeat.

Evertyone today was talking about the cranberry balls even the men and one man gave me a pat on the back as he was tasting one.

Watch the baking, you want them not brown on the top as they will be dry. ****I did that in a trial run last night, and lowered the temp from 375 to 350 and they turned out perfect this morning. 375 was too high the first time.

I made Jimmy Dean's sweet potato sausage balls last year and they were a hit. One gal reminded me, today, how much she enjoyed those. I used the maple sausage in those as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: georgsmom: cranberry sausage balls recipe, etc

These sound very interesting, and I think that I'll give them a try! I don't happen to think that the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove tastes much like the real allspice, though. With meats, in particular, true allspice just seems to add something special.

I'm also very tempted to use the spicy sausage! The combo of the sausage and those cranberries sounds sooo good!

o

Thanks, Glenda. I just might give these a try if I get the time. I like that you can make them ahead of time.

o
RE: georgsmom: cranbnnnnnerry sausage balls recipe, etc

When you don't have allspice this comes in handy:

Allspice substitute
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp clove
1/4 tsp nutmeg

o

Glenda, when I read your post from the Dinner thread, somehow my mind was thinking of your cranberry meatballs! Read it again and realized....

This is another good version of the original sausage balls. Nothing wrong with the original, but these just add a little something. Thanks, TrixieTX!

Cream Cheese Sausage Balls (TrixieTx@KT)

1 lb. hot sausage, uncooked (or regular)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1-1/4 Bisquick
4 oz. cheddar cheddar, shredded

Preheat oven to 400. Mix everything together until well combined (I use my hands for this). Bake 20-25 minutes or until brown. Sausage balls may be frozen uncooked. f baking them frozen, add a few extra minutes to the baking time.

o

Here's the sweet potato sausage balls I made last year

3 cups Bisquick
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes used canned
1 lb. sausage and I used Jimmy Dean Maple sausage
plus 1/2 or more chopped pecans

Instructions

Combine all ingredients well. Roll into balls and place on greased sheet pan. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until browned.

o

Oh my stars, Glenda--those sweet potato sausage balls sound out of this world. Must make them!! Thanks!

o

Ok Glenda I hate to sound dumb but what is "all purpose baking mix"? I'd like to give this a try.

o
RE: geobbrgsmom: cranberry sausage balls recipe, etc

Bisquick all purpose baking mix

o
RE: georffffgsmom: cranberry sausage balls recipe, etc

Just adding NOT the biscuit mix.

o
RE: georgsmom: craddddnberry sausage balls recipe, etc

I buy WalMarts baking mix which is cheaper OR you can make your own and find the recipe by doing a search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here