SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

georgsmom: cranberry sausage balls recipe, etc

glenda_al
11 years ago

Just making sure you see this and anyone else.

Cranberry sausage balls
My version of cranberry sausage balls

l pkg Maple Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage You can use mild or hot, but I like the maple flavor
2 cups all purpose baking mix
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground allspice **I made my own: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup or less of chopped dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix the baking mix, cheddar cheese and ground allspice first, then with your hands mix in the sausage, cranberries, pecans. It takes a while to work in the cranberries and pecans.

Shape into 1 inch balls.
Place on ungreased baking sheet, ***I use parchment paper and recommend your using.
They baked in my oven 20 minutes and came out perfect. Bottoms will be browner than the rest.
Note: Cheese Balls may be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked. To bake from frozen: thaw on cookie sheet 15 minutes; bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes

They were delicious in their unusual way. The maple sausage and the allspice is what made it extra good.
In comparison with the regular sausage balls, all I can say is they are different.

You get more of a sausagie taste with the regular one, but I would make these again in a heartbeat.

Evertyone today was talking about the cranberry balls even the men and one man gave me a pat on the back as he was tasting one.

Watch the baking, you want them not brown on the top as they will be dry. ****I did that in a trial run last night, and lowered the temp from 375 to 350 and they turned out perfect this morning. 375 was too high the first time.

I made Jimmy Dean's sweet potato sausage balls last year and they were a hit. One gal reminded me, today, how much she enjoyed those. I used the maple sausage in those as well.

Comments (10)