SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

Help me bake a Spiral cut ham

sue_va
12 years ago

I have bought spiral ham slices, but never a half ham before. So I bought one and will be baking it for Christmas dinner.

Because I don't have a roasting pan is it alright to use my old Club Aluminum Dutch Oven (without the lid)? 2nd choice is my largest black cast iron frying pan. 3rd choice is to get one of those throw-away aluminum roasting pans.

Thanks for your help, or any other ideas.

Sue

Comments (23)

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Well the way I heated/cooked my "fully cooked" ham (though not spiral cut) was to wrap it all up in foil and put in on a 9 X 13 pan. They say you don't have to cover it but for some reason I prefer it covered. Internal temp should read 140 for a fully cooked ham or I think it's 160 for a ham that's not fully cooked. I am pretty sure any spiral cut ham is fully cooked. I wouldn't use the light weight aluminum throw away pan because the ham is very heavy, it could easily go flipping out of it-yikes! I'd use that Club aluminum Dutch Oven, in fact I was thinking to myself "why didn't I use my Dutch Oven..DUH?" HAHA!

• debbyga
    12 years ago

I found the best way to get them to stay nice and juicy is to warm them on low for about 3-4 hours in the crockpot with a nice sauce or rub. I have forgotten the exact method but if you google it, you can find more precise directions. It's yummy that way.

• Related Discussions

Uncured Spiral Cut Ham from Trader Joe's

Q

Comments (6)
    We went to the TJ's in Louisville yesterday. They still have a full display case of the uncured hams. Since I now know they don't always stock them, we bought two to freeze. You might want to call your local TJ to see if they still have them. They really are delicious. Sandra
    ...See More

Help-- need glaze 4 Baked Ham

Q

Comments (2)
    My favorite glaze for baked ham is the mustard brown sugar vinegar one....but maybe not with the bacon wrapped brown sugar little smokies? Here is is anyhow Depending on the size of the ham....can be doubled. cup or brownsugar, mixed with 1 1/2 tsps of Coleman's dry mustard and enough cider vinegar to make a paste....about 1 to 2 tablespoons full. Smear all over the ham....bake uncovered....baste with what drips off, every 20 minutes. Linda C
    ...See More

copy-cat honey baked ham anyone?

Q

Comments (4)
    I saw a show on FoodTV last holiday season on Honey Baked Ham & it is a sugar/spices dry rub melted to create a glaze with blow torches. Each ham is individually torched. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what they were putting in the rub mix. :( I'm not even sure there's actually honey in the glaze?! Search the FoodTV website...you might be able to find an article with "clues". I'm pretty sure I saw the episode on "Unwrapped". /tricia
    ...See More

Spiral Ham

Q

Comments (13)
    I never liked them. Bought a Honeybaked Ham once and threw it out. Not because of the dryness but the taste. Baking and carving a ham is so easy. Sauces can be done on the side for those who want them. I just want thin sliced ham on my plate with a side of HOT freshly made mustard.
    ...See More
  • lynn_d
    12 years ago

For precooked hams I use a heavy pan, covered tightly. I usually put root beer in the pan (about a cup) and heat it at 325 for 12 minutes a pound. For the last 45 minutes I add in sliced or chunks or kielbassi.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

The pan doesn't really matter except for the aluminum one...do not use that one....I use a 9 X 13 Pyrex, My broiler pan any pan that the ham will fit into, cut side down....simple as that. I wrap it in foil, stick it in the oven and I usually leave it about 20 minutes per pound....If you have to glaze it, wrap it so that you can pull the sides down to glaze..

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

We bought a Honey Baked spiral cut ham a few years ago, and the instructions that come with it say not to heat it for best results. I am sure it would be easy to dry it out. So be careful with it whatever you decide to do to heat it up. I would cover it and heat it on low and not for too long. I imagine someone here has managed it successfully and will tell you how to do it.

• socks
    12 years ago

What Sheilajoyce said--if it's Honey Baked, they say to serve at room temp. Heating dries it out too much.

• goldy
    12 years ago

I thought a spiral cut ham was already cooked.If they aren't I have been eating mine raw.

• patti43
    12 years ago

Me, too, Goldy :0 I just let it get to room temperature. That's the main reason I buy them (besides that fact they taste so darned good). That way the oven isn't tied up and we can actually eat at a decent time.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I think a 9 x 13 or a broiler pan would do just fine. Here's a great glaze for you ham if you want to try it:

Honey Baked Ham

1 6 lb. bone in ham (I use the spiral cut)
    1/3 C brown sugar
    1/3 C honey
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven 350

Place ham on rack in foil-lined pan. Bake rounded side up one hour. In medium saucepan mix all ingredients together. Stir until it forms nice thick glaze. Rub on half the glaze and bake 30 min. Flip ham over and rub on remaining glaze. Bake one more hour. Remove and let rest 30 min. Delish! If you use a 9 x 13, you can use some jar lids on the bottom for the "rack"

• carla35
    12 years ago

I just do a 9 X13 too.

If you want to do a disposable pan just use a large cookie sheet underneath it and take out and put in holding the cookie sheet not the disposbale aluminum pan.

• patti43
    12 years ago

Good advice, Carla...I learned that after I lost control of the 22 lb. turkey that wasn't on a cookie sheet :-(

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

If it's a Honey Baked ham, it's already cooked and just need a very gentle warming, with the aluminum wrapping, in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

I've been buying their spiral cut hams for over 20 years, and what I said above is from them, and it works.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

carla had the best advice. Buy the foil and put on baking sheet. Perfect!

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

They are already cooked, all that I do is heat them thru, I like my ham hot. I've also sliced my spiral cut hams down and heated them the slices, that doesn't take long at all.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Yeah I also learned about the cheap aluminum pans with a turkey, I remember one Christmas my SIL was fighting with one of those, she did manage to get it out but I was thinking to myself "why in the world don't you buy a decent pan, you only live in a %$@&%# $300,000 house, surely you could afford a real metal pan" HAHA! Of course this was just going on in my head!

Anyway, good idea with the cookie sheet under it...I just thought do not use one...period...

• sue_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arkansas_girl, I had to really laugh at your remark about not using your Dutch oven, because when I read that I realized of course I have a 9x13 pan and it had not occurred to me to use it!

The label on the ham says Gwaltney Spiral Sliced Honey Glazed Ham with Natural Juices, fully cooked.

Instructions came with it that say this: Do not overcook. Your ham has been fully cooked. Heating instructions in convectional oven: Heat tightly covered with aluminum foil in 325ð oven for 10-12 minutes per pound. Microwave on High for 10 minutes (2 1/2 minutes for slices). (I would not use the microwave for it.)

I googled before I posted here, and it seems there is no consensus, just like here. Different ideas from different folks.

This is a 10.58 lb. ham. Guess I'll go with Gwaltneys method.

Actually, my question concerned what to bake it in, but the whole thread is interesting and shows there are many right ways to do most any thing!

And, oh, yes, I had thought that if I used the aluminum pan I would put it on a cookie sheet. I'll use my 9x13 pan.

Thanks to all of you.

Sue

• cynic
    12 years ago

Much depends on how you like your ham and how fussy you are about it. Thin sliced ham, cooked a long time will dry out. Heat releases the juices so it naturally will dry. Some like it that way. This is why most recommend room temp or just 10 min or so to heat it. 10-12 min per pound? Wow. That's a long time it seems.

This is why I don't usually like spiral cut hams. Every time someone made one that I've had they baked it like a solid ham and it was nearly ham jerky. I also prefer a thicker slice of meat than the spiral thickness so that's another reason I wouldn't get it, but for convenience for a sandwich buffet or something I could see it. I think I'd cut the meat from the bone and put it in the electric roaster, seal it with foil and let it warm a short while. Possibly add some ham juice if it came with it or maybe something like 7up, ginger ale or preferably a low-sodium broth for a more natural and less sugary flavor. I like ham, not sugar-frosted ham flakes.

Most important caution if you're heating it, seal it up tight. That'll keep the moisture in.

And you're right, there's hundreds of different ideas how to "cook" it and the debate rages whether to cook it. My old GF got annoyed with me when I gave in and took her to the sushi bar and asked for the sushi well-done. Told her from now on we go to restaurants that have a stove.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

We have a spiral ham about every other month and I always wrap in foil and bake about 1 1/2 hours. They are never dried out.

• cynic
    12 years ago

Just came across this in my notes. America's Test Kitchen had a unique procedure but since it has a glazing it's not in my "to try soon" area!

Cooking a Natural Juice Spiral Cut ham: Soak the ham IN THE PLASTIC for 90 min in hot tap water, then change the water again replacing with hot tap water to raise the internal temperature. Then cook spiral cut ham to 100ð, about an hour to an hour & a half at 250ð They glazed it. Cooked it in a cooking bag in a 13" x 9" pan, flat side of the ham down. When it reaches 100ð, they glazed it and turned the oven temp up to 350ð to cook the glaze and raise the internal temp to 115ð-120ð

Not really difficult. Might be worth trying.

• marry
    12 years ago

They are also pretty darn good if you slather them in
    peach schnapps before heating.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

what about pineapple juice? could you baste it in that?

• dedtired
    12 years ago

There's a discussion of spiral cut hams going on on the Cooking Forum. Guess it's that time of year.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

"They are also pretty darn good if you slather them in
    peach schnapps before heating."

I'd be pretty darn good that way too..... ;-)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor