Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me bake a Spiral cut ham

Posted by sue_va (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 15:26

I have bought spiral ham slices, but never a half ham before. So I bought one and will be baking it for Christmas dinner.

Because I don't have a roasting pan is it alright to use my old Club Aluminum Dutch Oven (without the lid)? 2nd choice is my largest black cast iron frying pan. 3rd choice is to get one of those throw-away aluminum roasting pans.

Thanks for your help, or any other ideas.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me bake a Spiral cut ham

Well the way I heated/cooked my "fully cooked" ham (though not spiral cut) was to wrap it all up in foil and put in on a 9 X 13 pan. They say you don't have to cover it but for some reason I prefer it covered. Internal temp should read 140 for a fully cooked ham or I think it's 160 for a ham that's not fully cooked. I am pretty sure any spiral cut ham is fully cooked. I wouldn't use the light weight aluminum throw away pan because the ham is very heavy, it could easily go flipping out of it-yikes! I'd use that Club aluminum Dutch Oven, in fact I was thinking to myself "why didn't I use my Dutch Oven..DUH?" HAHA!

o

I found the best way to get them to stay nice and juicy is to warm them on low for about 3-4 hours in the crockpot with a nice sauce or rub. I have forgotten the exact method but if you google it, you can find more precise directions. It's yummy that way.

o

For precooked hams I use a heavy pan, covered tightly. I usually put root beer in the pan (about a cup) and heat it at 325 for 12 minutes a pound. For the last 45 minutes I add in sliced or chunks or kielbassi.

o

The pan doesn't really matter except for the aluminum one...do not use that one....I use a 9 X 13 Pyrex, My broiler pan any pan that the ham will fit into, cut side down....simple as that. I wrap it in foil, stick it in the oven and I usually leave it about 20 minutes per pound....If you have to glaze it, wrap it so that you can pull the sides down to glaze..

o

We bought a Honey Baked spiral cut ham a few years ago, and the instructions that come with it say not to heat it for best results. I am sure it would be easy to dry it out. So be careful with it whatever you decide to do to heat it up. I would cover it and heat it on low and not for too long. I imagine someone here has managed it successfully and will tell you how to do it.

o

What Sheilajoyce said--if it's Honey Baked, they say to serve at room temp. Heating dries it out too much.

o

I thought a spiral cut ham was already cooked.If they aren't I have been eating mine raw.

o

Me, too, Goldy :0 I just let it get to room temperature. That's the main reason I buy them (besides that fact they taste so darned good). That way the oven isn't tied up and we can actually eat at a decent time.

o

I think a 9 x 13 or a broiler pan would do just fine. Here's a great glaze for you ham if you want to try it:

Honey Baked Ham

1 6 lb. bone in ham (I use the spiral cut)
1/3 C brown sugar
1/3 C honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven 350

Place ham on rack in foil-lined pan. Bake rounded side up one hour. In medium saucepan mix all ingredients together. Stir until it forms nice thick glaze. Rub on half the glaze and bake 30 min. Flip ham over and rub on remaining glaze. Bake one more hour. Remove and let rest 30 min. Delish! If you use a 9 x 13, you can use some jar lids on the bottom for the "rack"

o

I just do a 9 X13 too.

If you want to do a disposable pan just use a large cookie sheet underneath it and take out and put in holding the cookie sheet not the disposbale aluminum pan.

o

Good advice, Carla...I learned that after I lost control of the 22 lb. turkey that wasn't on a cookie sheet :-(

o

If it's a Honey Baked ham, it's already cooked and just need a very gentle warming, with the aluminum wrapping, in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

I've been buying their spiral cut hams for over 20 years, and what I said above is from them, and it works.

o

carla had the best advice. Buy the foil and put on baking sheet. Perfect!

o

They are already cooked, all that I do is heat them thru, I like my ham hot. I've also sliced my spiral cut hams down and heated them the slices, that doesn't take long at all.

o

Yeah I also learned about the cheap aluminum pans with a turkey, I remember one Christmas my SIL was fighting with one of those, she did manage to get it out but I was thinking to myself "why in the world don't you buy a decent pan, you only live in a %$@&%# $300,000 house, surely you could afford a real metal pan" HAHA! Of course this was just going on in my head!

Anyway, good idea with the cookie sheet under it...I just thought do not use one...period...

o

Arkansas_girl, I had to really laugh at your remark about not using your Dutch oven, because when I read that I realized of course I have a 9x13 pan and it had not occurred to me to use it!

The label on the ham says Gwaltney Spiral Sliced Honey Glazed Ham with Natural Juices, fully cooked.

Instructions came with it that say this: Do not overcook. Your ham has been fully cooked. Heating instructions in convectional oven: Heat tightly covered with aluminum foil in 325° oven for 10-12 minutes per pound. Microwave on High for 10 minutes (2 1/2 minutes for slices). (I would not use the microwave for it.)

I googled before I posted here, and it seems there is no consensus, just like here. Different ideas from different folks.

This is a 10.58 lb. ham. Guess I'll go with Gwaltneys method.

Actually, my question concerned what to bake it in, but the whole thread is interesting and shows there are many right ways to do most any thing!

And, oh, yes, I had thought that if I used the aluminum pan I would put it on a cookie sheet. I'll use my 9x13 pan.

Thanks to all of you.

Sue

o

Much depends on how you like your ham and how fussy you are about it. Thin sliced ham, cooked a long time will dry out. Heat releases the juices so it naturally will dry. Some like it that way. This is why most recommend room temp or just 10 min or so to heat it. 10-12 min per pound? Wow. That's a long time it seems.

This is why I don't usually like spiral cut hams. Every time someone made one that I've had they baked it like a solid ham and it was nearly ham jerky. I also prefer a thicker slice of meat than the spiral thickness so that's another reason I wouldn't get it, but for convenience for a sandwich buffet or something I could see it. I think I'd cut the meat from the bone and put it in the electric roaster, seal it with foil and let it warm a short while. Possibly add some ham juice if it came with it or maybe something like 7up, ginger ale or preferably a low-sodium broth for a more natural and less sugary flavor. I like ham, not sugar-frosted ham flakes.

Most important caution if you're heating it, seal it up tight. That'll keep the moisture in.

And you're right, there's hundreds of different ideas how to "cook" it and the debate rages whether to cook it. My old GF got annoyed with me when I gave in and took her to the sushi bar and asked for the sushi well-done. Told her from now on we go to restaurants that have a stove.

o

We have a spiral ham about every other month and I always wrap in foil and bake about 1 1/2 hours. They are never dried out.

o

Just came across this in my notes. America's Test Kitchen had a unique procedure but since it has a glazing it's not in my "to try soon" area!

Cooking a Natural Juice Spiral Cut ham: Soak the ham IN THE PLASTIC for 90 min in hot tap water, then change the water again replacing with hot tap water to raise the internal temperature. Then cook spiral cut ham to 100°, about an hour to an hour & a half at 250° They glazed it. Cooked it in a cooking bag in a 13" x 9" pan, flat side of the ham down. When it reaches 100°, they glazed it and turned the oven temp up to 350° to cook the glaze and raise the internal temp to 115°-120°

Not really difficult. Might be worth trying.

o

They are also pretty darn good if you slather them in
peach schnapps before heating.

o

what about pineapple juice? could you baste it in that?

o

There's a discussion of spiral cut hams going on on the Cooking Forum. Guess it's that time of year.

o

"They are also pretty darn good if you slather them in
peach schnapps before heating."

I'd be pretty darn good that way too..... ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here