Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your best sugar cookie receipt

Posted by jodi_in_so_calif (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 15:21

I love sugar cookies. The round kind, not the cookie cutter type. The kind that are large and gooey in the center. Anyone have a tried and true recipe I can try?

Jodi-

Oh shoot, I typed receipt instead of recipe. Guess you can't fix titles in edit mode.

This post was edited by jodi_in_so_calif on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 15:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your best sugar cookie receipt

Was gonna say ... "My cookies don't give me receipts" LOL

o

This recipe makes A LOT of Excellent sugar cookies.

Gloria's Sugar Cookies

1 C butter (room temp)
1 C oil (veg)
1 C granulated sugar
1 C powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp. baking soda
4 C all purpose flour

Cream together sugars, oil & butter. �Add eggs and vanilla. �

Combine flour, soda and cream of tarter. �Add to sugar mixture.

Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet (I use parchment) . �

Press each cookie with the bottom of a greased drinking glass dipped in sugar. �Add a little more sugar (sprinkles) on top.

Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.

o

Sorry, my sugar cookie recipes are all the cut-out type. Just wanted to say that some places in the south, receipt is perfectly acceptable for recipe.

o

These are my Dad's favorite. Have been since before he and Mom got married almost 55 years ago.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

4 C. flour 2 eggs or 4 egg yolks
1 � c sugar sour cream
1 large tsp baking powder 1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. nutmeg � c. shortening

Sift all dry ingredients together at 1 time. Work in shortening as for pie crust. In a large measuring cup add 2 eggs plus enough sour cream to equal 1 cup. Add 1 tsp soda to the egg mixture. Beat with egg beater before adding to first mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla. Mix. Roll our & bake @ 400� until slightly light golden brown around the edges.

Makes about 3 dozen.

I use a 2 cup measuring cup to measure the eggs, sour cream & soda.

An old neighbor used to make these. Just as good in a different way from the above.

MRS. HARTLY�S SUGAR COOKIES

1 c. sugar
� c. shortening
2 eggs
2 T. milk
2 c. flour
� t. lemon rind
� t. soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. nutmeg
Little salt.

350�

And these are my Mom's cut out cookies. But you don't have to do cut outs. Just roll into a log, chill and cut into slices.

GRANDMA CHARLOTTE�S SUGAR CUT OUT COOKIES

Combine:
� c. soft shortening- part butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
� t. vanilla

Sift together:
2 � c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 small t. salt

Mix all together and chill at least 1 hour, or over night. Roll 1/8" thick. Cut out with floured cutter. Place on ungreased sheet. 375�. 6-8 min. Not many in a single batch.

o

Patti, I'm from the Midwest and my Mom always called a recipe a 'receipt'.

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will try one or more of them soon. I particularly like the sour cream one.

Jodi-

o

Ok, these don't exactly fit your specs but they are the absolute best sugar cookies - ever!

I got this recipe from my Aunt. I just recently learned from her Granddaughter that this was just a regular sugar cookie recipe but times were tough and these cookies made the dough go a long way. Turns out it also made the best cookies.

Mary Alice's Sugar Cookies
1/2 lb margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter flavoring
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour

Cream margarine & sugar together. Mix in remaining ingredients. Roll dough into cherry sized balls. Dip a flat bottom, well greased glass into sugar and press dough until very, very thin. Bake 350� until lightly brown on edges.

o

Lindy, what is butter flavoring?

o

Jodi, you buy butter flavoring in the store right next to the vanilla. At least you used to. I guess they still make it.

o

Would butter favored PAM work? I just bought some last week. 'Course it might take some doing to spray fill a couple teaspoons. :-)

Jodi-

o

No, Jodi. It's not greasy like that. If you don't have the flavoring just leave it out. It just enhances the butter flavor.

o

I need to go shopping anyhow...and I love extra butter (unfortunately) so the butter flavoring sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

Jodi-

o

Curious could you roll out the cookies, not real thin, then add a small amount of jelly in the middle? I have had something like that and it is so good!

o

Tami, HELP!!! I was just getting ready to make your sour cream sugar cookies and realized that I can't read some of the measurements.

Here is what I can and cannot figure out:

4 cups flour
2 eggs or 4 egg yolks
??? sugar
??? sour cream
1 large tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda (baking soda I assume)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
??? cup shortening

Thank, Jodi-

o

Jodi you have mail. I hope I saw my email in time. I'll repost.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

4 c flour
2 eggs or 4 egg yolks
1 1/2 c sugar
sour cream
1 large tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 c shortening

Sift all dry ingredients together at 1 time. Work in shortening as for pie crust. In a large measuring cup add 2 eggs plus enough sour cream to equal 1 cup. Add 1 tsp soda to the egg mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla. Mix. Roll out and bake @ 400� until slightly light golden brown around the edges.

Makes about 3 dozen

I use a 2 cup measuring cup to measure the eggs, sour cream and soda. I usually slightly beat the eggs before adding the rest.

If someone will remind me, I will type out the other two recipes I posted before tomorrow. I'm to tired to do it tonight.

Tami PS, it won't let me post it in a nice format, it jumbles it all up. Sorry

o

Thanks Tami, I did get your email and replied. Thank you so much!

Jodi-

o

lindyluwho, do you mean Molly McButter for the butter flavoring?

o

Lindalou, I'm not lindyluwho, but no, Molly McButter is not what she means by butter flavoring. You can find butter flavoring in the baking isle with the vanilla. It comes in a bottle in a box, just like the vanilla does. Just like vanilla, almond, black walnut, ect., like an extract, but it's just a flavoring, to make the cookies or what ever you use it in, have more of a butter flavor.

I said last night I would repost the other recipes I posted that have scrambled ingredient amounts so here you go:

Mrs. Hartly's Sugar Cookies

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 T milk
2 c flour
1/2 t. lemon rind (I use dried lemon peel found in the spice isle)
1/2 t. soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. nutmeg
Little salt

Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased sheet. Bake at 350� until slightly golden brown.

My Mother's Sugar Cut Out Cookies

Combine:
3/4 c. soft shortening - part butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla

Sift together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 small t salt

Mix all together and chill at least 1 hour, or over night. Roll out 1/8" thick. Cut out with floured cutter. Place on ungreased sheet. 375� for 6-8 minutes. Not many in a single batch.

The reason we get the odd symbols, to my understanding, is the format of the forum doesn't understand the symbols when you copy and paste from Word.

Tami

o

Lindalou, I'm not lindyluwho, but no, Molly McButter is not what she means by butter flavoring. You can find butter flavoring in the baking isle with the vanilla. It comes in a bottle in a box, just like the vanilla does. Just like vanilla, almond, black walnut, ect., like an extract, but it's just a flavoring, to make the cookies or what ever you use it in, have more of a butter flavor.

I said last night I would repost the other recipes I posted that have scrambled ingredient amounts so here you go:

Mrs. Hartly's Sugar Cookies

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 T milk
2 c flour
1/2 t. lemon rind (I use dried lemon peel found in the spice isle)
1/2 t. soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. nutmeg
Little salt

Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased sheet. Bake at 350� until slightly golden brown.

My Mother's Sugar Cut Out Cookies

Combine:
3/4 c. soft shortening - part butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla

Sift together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 small t salt

Mix all together and chill at least 1 hour, or over night. Roll out 1/8" thick. Cut out with floured cutter. Place on ungreased sheet. 375� for 6-8 minutes. Not many in a single batch.

The reason we get the odd symbols, to my understanding, is the format of the forum doesn't understand the symbols when you copy and paste from Word.

Tami

o

Lindalou, what Tami said.

o

maddielee - I have to smile re your "Gloria's Cookies". I've had that recipe and my Mother years before me known as "Angie's Cookies". Guess recipes often get named for who you get them from.

My recipe is written as half yours - and it still makes a mighty lot of cookies. Mine says to roll in @ quarter sized balls and flatten with the sugar dipped glass bottom. With the butter and the oil, your palms might get a little greasy, but the cookies are uniform... and sooo good with a cup of coffee, tea, or cocoa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here