Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glenda, the Pistachio/Cranberry Cookies

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 15:02

Hi Glenda - sorry to call you out, but I'm going to be making the cookies tonight, I hope. The directions don't say to chop the cranberries or the pistachios. Should I? I'm sure it's not that big a deal either way, but thought I'd ask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glenda, the Pistachio/Cranberry Cookies

I called my friend who shared those delicious cookies with me and her recipe and this is what she told me (btw, she's a personal cook as well as a lunchroom manager)

She did NOT chop the nuts or the dried cranberries.

She bought the toasted and salted pistachios, but if you bought the other kind that is fine.

One important thing she said to remind you: you have to refrigerate overnight before baking.

PLUS they cut much better with an electric knife.

Hope this helps.

I love those cookies!

o
RE: Glevvvnda, the Pistachio/Cranberry Cookies

Another thing friend said: if you chop the nuts and the cranberries, you don't get the pretty red and green color in the cookie.

o

Great!!! Gee - you went to the trouble of calling your friend - very nice; thank you. I laughed, though, because yes, I did first buy the salted pistachios, and then when I realized that I was supposed to buy unsalted, I took them back to the store (unopened, of course!) and got the unsalted. :-)

I'll be freezing them for a few days; I need them for this weekend but have time to prep them tonight. So they should be very well chilled. I don't have an electric knife, so I'll just do the best I can. I also couldn't find the coarse sugar, so I just bought some of the red decorators sugar to roll them in.

I'll let you know how I do. And thanks again!

o
RE: Glenda, the Pistnnnachio/Cranberry Cookies

If you find the pistachios too big and think you might have a hard time cutting them, then how about putting them in a sandwich bag and coarsely chopping them, eh?

o

Too late. They're chilling now :-)

They will be wonderful; I know it.

o
RE: Glenda, the Pisggggtachio/Cranberry Cookies

Please eat a couple for me. I love those cookies!

o

Well, I ended up needing some sooner, and so baked the ones that I'd chilled last night. OH MY! You are so right, Glenda, they are deeeelicious. And very pretty (and, so easy).

And ... I ate a couple for you. And for me.

o
RE: Glenda, the Pi.......stachio/Cranberry Cookies

Thanks for taking care of me :o)

So glad they turned out great!

o

Recipe, Glender?!!!!

o

kayjones, she posted the recipe in the cookie thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: cookie recipes

o

I made this recipe about a month ago, and they are delicious. I overbaked the first batch and they were hard, but still wonderful, like biscotti. Subsequent batches were softer. Even with the sugar around the edges, this is not a real sweet cookie, instead it has a complex flavor and nice crunchy feel in the mouth.

I didn't have parchment paper, so I used a greased cookie sheet. That's probably why the first batch overbaked.

I didn't have any trouble cutting them.

Thanks for posting it, Glenda.

o

I didn't have any problem eating them :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here