SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

The plumber just brought me a Christmas gift.

alisande
10 years ago

I heat mostly with wood, using my oil burner very sparingly ever since heating oil got so expensive. For the past several years the tank has been no more than 1/4 full, and I've ordered the minimum quantity of oil at a time.

Last month I ordered 100 gallons, but got billed for only 36. When I called to ask why, the oil man said the oil came spurting out after only 36 gallons. He asked if my tanks (I have two) could be full, and I checked the gauge again--nope, definitely not full. So he said the vent must be plugged, and recommended a plumber for the job.

It took awhile to get an appointment, and the plumber arrived today--a very nice guy who did a few things and reported to me that both tanks are completely full. The gauge was jammed, probably had been for years. So not only do I not have a plugged vent, but I have 500 or more gallons of heating oil I didn't know I had. I told him he was like Santa!

I also told him things like this are why we have blonde jokes. :-)

PS: For those who burn oil for heat, do you know how much oil your furnace burns? I didn't, so when I thought I had very little oil in the tanks I looked it up. My furnace burns between .65 and 1 gallon of oil for every hour it's running. That's a lot less than I would have guessed. The plumber said a good rule of thumb is 1 gallon per hour.

Comments (10)