Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little mincemeat pies

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 13:50

Well, my first attempt at using this pan I bought yesterday. I think it's really for muffins but I thought it would be the right depth for little pies. Couldn't find anything 4" across to cut out the pastry, so discovered a pizza cutter would do the trick, cutting circles free hand. Thus my crusts look a little messy in the molds, not neatly crimped at all. Guess this will be a learning experience as to how much pastry to put in the bottom and how much to cover the pies with.

Also, I'm betting I put too much mincemeat filling inside; but we shall see. I did cut some vents and even added some little pastry holly and oak leaves on top. They are in the oven now. Cross your fingers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little mincemeat pies

I am anxious to see the finished pies....what recipe did you use???

o

Here they are. Just took them out of the oven. Do I let them completely cool in the pan?? or remove them warm?

ruthieg, I used a short crust pastry recipe and then just jarred mincemeat, not homemade. One jar made the six pies with about a half cup left. Baked for 25-30min. and thought they were getting too brown so removed them. Hope the filling is hot.

o
oops

Went back to edit message and lost the pic.

o

I watched Ruth Mott (Victorian Kitchen and Garden fame)in her 1995 Christmas BBC special making mincemeat tarts; and she cut all around with a knife before removing them so I did too. They did not seem stuck to the pan at all. So I got a cookie sheet and laid on top, then flipped pan and sheet. The little pies came out slick as can be! Not bad for the first try? The true test will be in the eating. :)

o

Pretty as can be! I can picture all kinds of uses for this neat little utensil.

o

Sure looks good, wonder if you could use liners like you would for muffins. Those would be good for a buffet also or something like them using chicken etc

o

I think it will make good meat pies too, marie. Or how about indiv. bread dressing for holiday meals? One mincemeat pie was a healthy serving I discovered. Should have had vanilla some ice cream on the side. :)Don't see why you couldn't use something to line the molds, but with this first use at least it was virtually non-stick. I saw silicone cupcake liners at the shop too, but they were small.

Speaking of silicone. The whole reason I got interested in making theses pies today was that at CVS yesterday I saw one of those "as seen on TV" products called "Little Pie Maker". It was this red silicone tray with four molds for $10.99. I looked at it a long time but decided that these ASOTV products are usually pretty cheaply made and usually not as great as advertised. So that's when I went on into town to a kitchen store (nothing but things for the kitchen, gourmet, high end stuff mostly). While looking at one muffin pan, I got to talking to another customer about the silicone one and he shook his head saying he'd never use silicone again as it flips and flops in your hands when you are trying to work with it. So I was glad I didn't waste my money. Picked out one muffin pan but just as I was about to sign the debit card receipt, I asked to go back and look at another one that was more shallow. Got it instead for the same price - $26.50.

o

Very tasty looking!

o

I made little pies like this last week. They come out easily, mine were cherry and also vanilla pudding ones. I did not have a problem with the top, just cut them out with the a round cutter that worked and a smaller cutter for the top. Did not have to be sealed to the bottom crust. Mine are in the freezer, the cherry ones. Will take them to our meal on Christmas Day.

Sue

o

I have that pan! I bought it from King Arthur Flour. I love their pans.

o

I think it's going to become my favorite too chi83. I found the carton or cardboard that was around it. It's called a "USA Pan", a Bundy Family Company. Made in the USA. And it's called a "Mini Round Cake Panel Pan". Heavy gauge aluminized steel, with a silicone coating.

I didn't have the right size cutters Marilyn Sue, but next time I go to that shop I'll see if they carry some. The pizza cutter actually worked pretty good.

o

Just thought of something. In the craft shops they have plastic that quilters use to cut circles. I wonder if you could use those for a pattern and cut around them. Of course if you could find the right size circle just to cut them out it would be easier. You might check for things that cut out donuts also, especially in speciality shops.

o

On one of them, maybe the bottom I just used the metal lid from my flour canister and the top, the smaller one I had a cutter that worked. I also made some using regular sized muffin pans and used the ring from a quart canning jar for my cutter for the top. Are your pans what we call Texas sized muffin pans? That is what I used. Whatever works. Your pies really look nice.

Sue

o

Thanks, they tasted good too. I think they would make nice gifts, each wrapped in a pretty colored plastic wrap "pouch" tied off with a ribbon. Let's see...I have Monday yet to bake some more in time for Christmas. Can a person buy different colored plastic wrap???

Definitely going to try little beef or chicken pies. I'm assuming I'd have to cook the filling first? I've made a veggie w/hamburger pie once but forget if I prepared the filling first, other than frying the hamburger.

o

Curious are these regular muffin pans? or a bit different. They don't look as deep as what I have. I like yours better for the pies etc.
Marie

o

Those are beautiful pies! I love the look of the "hand cut" crusts. They're not machined; not space-age "perfect," not mass-produced. They are perfectly beautiful.

Marie-NDCal, I think that size pan is sometimes called a "tops only" muffin pan.

o

I thought of the muffin top pan, too. Quiche would be great baked up in those little pans, wouldn't it?

o

marie, the packaging called it a "Mini Round Cake Panel Pan".

oooo, quiche would be nice. But I've never tried baking even a normal sized quiche.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here