SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

What are you reading?

alisande
9 years ago

I love Stacey's Book of the Week posts, and this week's reminded me that it's been awhile since we shared the books we're currently into. With the holidays looming, it's possible books have been set aside for now, but I'm certain some of us are still engaged in one story (or self-help) or another.

I'm slogging through As Husbands Go, by Susan Isaacs. More than once, I've considered giving up on it, and I might still do that. I think the reason I haven't is that I've been going to bed too tired to start a new book, and I haven't had time to read much during the day.

This book is s-l-o-w. The reviews complain about the unlikable protagonist, but I don't dislike her. If I did, that would be the end of the book for me. I have to like somebody in a book, and none of the other characters even come close.

I think the main reason I've stuck with it is that the author wrote two other books I greatly enjoyed: Compromising Positions and Shining Through. The latter is one of my favorite books ever. If you haven't read it, go get it now! Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Shining Through - just a penny for a lightly used hardcover

Such a terrific book!

PS: If you saw the Shining Through movie, it bore little resemblance to the book. Even the romance was different.

Comments (18)