Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Want to Try This Recipe, But....

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 12:59

I've never used "Dry Sherry" in anything. I'm assuming I'd have to make a trip to the liquor store..right? Is there something I could use to substitute. I got the recipe from Farmer's Almanac.

Oriental Chicken Wings
Chicken wings just disappear from the table! This recipe is quick, easy to make, and loved by adults and children alike. If your family enjoys munching on chicken wings, they will be very happy when you serve this as a main dish with rice.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings (24 pieces)

12 whole chicken wings
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Remove and discard the wing tips from the chicken and cut each remaining wing in half at the joint.

In a large nonreactive bowl or zippered plastic bag, combine and mix all the remaining ingredients except the cornstarch. Add the chicken; stir to coat. Refrigerate overnight, stirring once. Drain and reserve the marinade.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the chicken in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and done.

Just before serving, bring the reserved marinade to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water to make a thick paste. Add to the marinade and cook until thickened. Serve with the warm chicken as a dip.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Want to Try This Recipe, But....

Considring its only 1 TBSP I probably would just leave it out or use chicken broth if you have any.

Shelley

o

I wouldnt buy dry sherry just for one recipe...I'd leave it out. There are loads of good flavours in there ...I dont think you'll miss a spoonful of sherry!

Karen UK

o

CB, I'm the same way. I never have sherry in the house.
BUT you can buy a small bottle of vermouth, and use it in place of sherry and white wine. I've done it, and it works great!

o

Any dry white wine. Dry is the operative word here. Or I've read you can substitute red wine vinegar or apple juice or white grape juice.

Since you're only dealing with a tablespoon, it could probably be left out altogether.

o

You could even use orange juice. I agree with jasdip & duluth too.

o

Those wings sound delicious! If your grocery sells beer and wine, look in the wine dept. Just don't buy the sherry you see on the condiment (I think) aisle. It's very salty. I use cream sherry or vermouth no matter which kind the recipe calls for. LOL! Sherry adds a nice taste to lots of recipes, but you have plenty of flavors in the recipe already.

I agree with just adding broth or even a little extra water if you think it needs it.

o

I agree with the others; either leave it out or use beef or chicken broth. Sounds like a really good recipe!

o

I say leave it out or use chicken broth... sounds yummy..

Carolyn

o

Alrighty!! I'm gonna leave it out and maybe use broth!!

Thanks!!

o

I would just use yellow vinegar, because I always have that in the house.

o

In the meantime Brenda, go buy yourself a small bottle of dry vermouth. You can then use it in all recipes calling for dry booze!
I used it in my wild rice soup and it was delicious.

BTW your recipe sounds awesome. Give us a review when you're done dinner please!

o

Dry sherry is not sweet so if you have any dry booze or wine maybe use that, but I'd be inclined to just leave it out.

o

Dry sherry is very cheap compared to the cooking wine one might buy. I think if you invested you would find it a wonderful addition a splash at a time to many things. It is worth the special trip, but I shouldn't talk, I send my husband!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here