Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eBay question

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 12:56

EBay used to permit payment by check, but now Paypal is the only option. I was contacted through eBay by a buyer who would like to pay for an item with a check. I used to accept checks, and wouldn't mind doing this. Is there a way to handle it that won't give me a problem with eBay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eBay question

don't know the details, but you can take a check, or cheque, as this seller says.

Here is a link that might be useful: payment options beneath last picture

o

Ha! That must be an option I didn't see when listing my items. Either that or it's available only in the UK. Thanks, Sylvia.

o

I believe there is an option on the sold summary that allows you to mark an item paid....So you accept the check and when it comes and clears, you mark it paid. I really hate that people want you to "accommodate" them...It's a pain in the butt to take a check and I don't understand why people who want to shop ebay don't do Paypal..it is so much easier for all concerned....

o

If you do accept the check, instead of depositing it into your account, go to the bank the check is drawn on and cash it there. This way you avoid many of the check scams that are out there.

o

I don't know, Shed . . . I might have to do some traveling.

o

It is ok with eBay if you accept a check, but you cannot state in your auction that you will. It would be better with a postal money order.

o

If they have a valid checking account, they should be able to open a paypal account with no problems. Buyers on EBay should know they will be paying on paypal.

If you accept a check, let them know you won't ship until,you have cashed the check. See if they are still interested.

ML

o

Unfortunately these days, even if you deposit a check in your account and it clears the bank can still "bounce" it within the next 2 weeks - that's what the Nigerian scams are all about. People deposit checks, take out money and send it to the scammers and a week or so later, the victim's bank tells the victim that the check was written with insufficient funds. I would only accept checks from reputable sources - refunds from utilities or escrow, taxes, etc. It's a negative way to view people, but you have to protect yourself from people you don't know. As Maddie mentioned - if they have a valid checking acct, they can sign up for PayPal. This is a tough one, Alisande. Hopefully the buyer is willing to be more flexible. How about a money order?

o

I wouldn't. Especially if it is a considerable amount of money.

o

Yeah, that scam involving Cashier's checks is really something. This current matter is on a whole other level, though. It's just a $25 item, and I think the buyer is an elderly woman. The item is something that would appeal to the elderly. She has good feedback. Lots of people are still suspicious of Paypal. Heck, I know an intelligent, educated woman, younger than I, who refuses to give her credit card number to Amazon.

I've sold quite a bit of stuff on eBay, and I'm willing to trust my gut feeling that this woman is good for the money. If I'm wrong, I'll let you know.

I might try relisting the item, to see if I can specify checks as payment. Then I could let her know, and she could buy it. Then she, eBay, and I will all be happy . . . provided the check clears. :-)

o

So much for that plan. I tried relisting it, but the only payment options they gave me were Paypal, credit cards, and something called Skrill.

o

I think if you are reasonably cautious, accepting a check is not a problem...I've accepted plenty and never had a single one bounce...Many I mailed the package before it cleared...

o

I think you can accept the check, & then once it's cleared, you & the buyer can mark the item "paid".

As someone said, if the buyer has an account with a big bank, like Wells Fargo or Bank of America, you can take it to any branch & they can cash it & debit her account right then & there.

o

I have had checks bounce when I was selling on ebay. A postal money order is far more reliable. If it is an amount that you are willing to lose if it bounces, then it is up to you to take the risk. A seller can no longer say that they take checks or money orders but buyers can ask.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here