Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick, how many cups in 5 lbs of flour?

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 12:50

I'm trying to find compact storage containers for flour, sugar, corn meal, stuff like that. I need to know how many cups are in the 5 lb bags.

What do you store your dry goods in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick, how many cups in 5 lbs of flour?

20. Get a clear bucket with a lid, such as what a gallon of ice cream comes in.

o

After Kayjones' answer, I think I need to know also.

1 cup = 8oz
2 cups = 16oz
1 lb = 16ox
2 cups per pound
5 x 2 = 10 cups in a 5lb bag

What am I doing wrong?

o
RE: Quick, how many cups in 5 lbs of flour---?

Probably you are right - I just entered her question into google and that's what came up.

o
RE: Quick, how many cups in 5 lbs of flour-revisited?

Check out WikiAnswers - it also says 20 cups if I read it correctly.

How many cups of flour is in a 5 lb bag?

Answer
Four cups of flour equal 1 lb., so there are 20 cups of flour in a 5 lb. bag.
Also, two cups of sugar equal 1 lb., so there are 10 cups of sugar in a 5 lb. bag.

o

Now I'm even more confused... LOL

Answer

Also, two cups of sugar equal 1 lb., so there are 10 cups of sugar in a 5 lb. bag.

o

Ounces in volume, which is what a measuring cup measures (volume) is not the same as ounces for weight.

o
RE: ..Quick, how many cups in 5 lbs of flour?

Angela, I calculated based on a fluid ounce cup. But dry foods don't weight the same and have a different rate of settling. I just found that on the net. I never did understand why a cup is not a cup is not a cup. LOL

So, sugar settles less than flour and therefore has greater volume. That's the difference in Kayjones' answer, which is 20.

o

Buy what you like.
Fill it as full as you can.
Put the rest of bag in pantry or freezer for flour.

I don't have a clue what it holds! I'd say it must be close to the 20 cups.

You'd laugh if you saw my canisters. They are the old Owens-Illinois Green depression glass close to these.
They don't hold large amounts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green canisters

o

3 1/2 cups of Flour equal a pound. So 17 1/2 cups of flour equal 5 pounds.

o
link....

Here's a good conversion chart link and it tells you the weight conversion for flour and sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: conversion chart

o

If you were cooking, I would say: get a scale. W/ that large an amount, and considering that flour can chance a recipe drastically, I wouldn't want to count on the concept that I had sifted the flour the same way the folks who did the chart, did.

But for storage, the chart should work well enough. And you should decide, do you want to hold exactly 5 lb, or do you want it to hold the little bit left over before it runs out, AND the 5 lb?

if you go for exactly 5 lb, you don't have to worry that the flour at the bottom might never get used up. But you'll have to wait until it's all used up to put in the new bag.

o

I have a ten pound sack here and the side of the bag says there are 151 servings (1/4 cup servings)

divide 151 by 4 and you get 37 cups.

Divide that in half for a five pound bag and you get (rounded up) 19 cups.

So I say 19 cups in a five pound bag.

o

Check out WikiAnswers - it also says 20 cups if I read it correctly.
How many cups of flour is in a 5 lb bag?
Answer

Now I'm really lost...aren't 5 LB bags of flour and sugar both about the same size?

I probably won't rest until I measure them both out for myself. This has me stumped for sure.

Sue

o
cups in 5 lbs of flour?

I'm thinking the same thing Sue! LOL
Post the results if you get them before I do!

o

The size of the bag is insignificant. They are both generally the same size because 5lbs is 5lbs. However, it took about 20 cups of flour to fill that 5lb bag but only 10 cups of sugar to fill it.

I'm saying about 20 cups because every website (5 or 6 that I checked) is slightly different. Just got off the phone with Gold Medal. They say "just over 17 cups." Some of the websites say that, too.

But, please understand the size of the bags would be roughly the same for sugar and flour. They are weighed by volume up to the desired number of pounds. Think of it in terms of sugar being granules, and you can hold just one in your hand. But, can you hold just one granule of flour? Nope, because there are no granules. It's really just a powdery substance and much smaller than a granule of sugar. Therefore, look at like filling a bag with oranges and a bag with walnuts. Wouldn't it take a heck of lot more walnuts to fill that same size bag? And wouldn't it take a heck of lot more walnuts to amount to 5lbs?

o

Well, I do have an unopened bag of sugar and can measure that, but much to my disappointment, I don't have a full bag of flour handy. I found that out last night when I wanted to make some home made yeast cinnamon rolls.

Maybe someone else here has a full bag of flour and is curious enough to take the time to make a mess of measuring it....hint, hint

Sue

o

The thing with measuring flour by volume, Sue, is that there can still be several different answers depending upon on how well packed the measuring cup is. That is why a 5# bag of flour is roughly the same size as that of sugar, they have it fairly well packed. We add air when we open it and dump that flour into a canister so it takes up more room unless we tap the container to remove the air.

o

I just looked at the serving size on the bag of flour(1/4 cup), then approx. how many servings per bag(75) and since there are 4- 1/4 cups in a whole cup, I divided 75 by 4. Approx. 18.75 cups in 5 LB of flour :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here