Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Voice - honoring Sandy Hook

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 12:48

Did anyone catch last night's segment from The Voice where the coaches and contestants honored the victims of Sandy Hook by singing Leonard Cohen's Halleluiah?

This songs has always been special to me but but this short 2 minute video had me in tears.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Voice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Voice - honoring Sandy Hook

I haven't seen the voice, YET. But I did watch this
song online. Brought tears again...

o

Just beautiful..........

o

Thank you for posting that. I caught the tail end of it last night and have always loved Hallelujah--one of my favorites. And then I saw they were holding the children's name, it made me cry like a baby. Thanks for letting me see the whole thing. I figured I could find it on You Tube, but hadn't done it yet. Thank you. This was truly beautiful

o

Yes, more tears. I was a little concerned that they were going to sing the rest of the song, with the risque lyrics. But I needn't have worried. They did a beautiful job.

o

It is a beautiful chorus but I agree, I was horrified when they first started singing it. (I was listening from the kitchen) It ended with my sigh of relief but if they had sang it like the song I remember, wow, it would be, well, just like a celeb! Beautiful or not, there are other more appropriate songs to sing IMO.
Would anyone be interested in seeing the lyrics?

o

Toni, I agree. Although I found that performance moving and the tune of that song always gives me chills, the lyrics are rather dark. Nevertheless, I am so glad that they acknowledged the pain this country is suffering at the moment and did not proceed with the program as if it was business as usual.

o

I Love kd Lang's version of Hallelujah. I guess I haven't listened to the lyrics, I just love her haunting voice. Can't imagine them being risque.

I haven't seen the video yet, but I will. Thanks for posting!

o

A young woman named Kelley Mooney rewrote the lyrics after her priest, unfamiliar with the original lyrics, asked her to sing the song in church. Here's a video of her version. She did a nice job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelley Mooney singing Hallelujah

o

I saw the Voice tribute at the gym on the treadmill tonight and sobbed like a baby. Hope people didn't think I was too weird. Heartbreaking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here