Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When was the fitted sheet invented?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 12:48

As I was 'folding' one today I tried to remember the first time I did this and when fitted sheets were invented. Google didn't help. Wikipedia didn't help. Any help?

(I know fitted sheets have been around for a long time. I remember a hilarious evening around 1950 when I leaped into a bed that had a *nylon* fitted sheet...and slid right out the other side, onto the floor.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When was the fitted sheet invented?

Seems it was this lady, Bertha Berman. Scroll mid-page at the link below and her name is there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertha Berman

o

Thanks, indianakat! I wonder if she profited from them. (I wonder how SHE folded them? LOL)

o

What I have looked for lo these many years, is fitted TOP sheets - just fitted at the bottom. They didn't come out when you pulled them up. They were available at one time, but long ago. They were WONDERFUL.

o

Thanks, wantoretire, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when I remembered having a top sheet that was fitted at the bottom. I'd like to have that now.

Shirley

o

I had to laugh at the image of scooting across the sheet and landing on the floor. Here is a video of how to fold fitted sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fold a fitted sheet

o

OMG - Who knew???? My hint for them is to put a "T" on the top and bottom areas with a Sharpie, so I don't have to deal with trial and error, getting it sideways most of the time.

Still want to find fitted top sheets. I guess I could sew them to fit, but can't seem to get it done........

o

I did something similar to wantoretire. Only I pinned a safety pin in the upper right hand corner of the bottom sheet.

Also learned a lesson from my legally blind brother-in-law when he was visiting and washed the sheets in his room. The sheets in the guest room are tone-on-tone striped and he told me he remembered the stripes went up and down. No problem there anymore, either.

o

This is so funny. When I started college in 1960, I attended a small women's school run by an order of nuns. There was one nun living on each floor of the dorm and they would come around to check our rooms and make sure the beds were made. ONe thing they looked for was that we had done those nice, neat hospital corners on the sheets. Well, I had an early pair of fitted sheets, and poor Sister Whateverhername was questioned whether or not I had sheets on the bed or was sleeping on the matress. She was amazed and surprised when I showed her the elastisized corner. She was probably also a little disappointed.

o

Fitted top sheets? I can't stand having the sheets clamped in under the mattress and a fitted sheet would be worse yet. I yank those things so my feet can point in the direction they go naturally. That was one of the worst things when I was in the hospital. Those terrorists that made the beds would bind those corners down so hard just to see how much pain they could inflict. And when you're in a bed with a broken hip you don't appreciate your feet being twisted unnaturally.

o

When I stay in a hotel, I always untuck my top sheet at the foot of the bed. I hate those hospital corners. At home, I never tuck in the top sheet. My feet like to be free.

o

The tag on the fitted bottom sheet should go on the left lower mattress corner. Or, if you want to reverse it, then put the tag in the upper right corner. Otherwise, it's on side-to-side.
That's what I've discovered, anyway.

Leslie/KS

o

never had problems folding fitted sheets, until i bought jersey ones...but i LOVE them...

o

Thats a nice tip. I did not know tag placement was universal in the industry.

Too bad I cut mine off right as soon as they are out of the package. I hate those tags hanging out and eventually they get wrinkly and shredded from repeated washings and look terrible so off they go with the scissors.

o

I can't stand hospital corners either! My husband is a tucker, so his side is tucked, mine isn't :) I can't fold a fitted sheet to save my life. That video is good, I've seen Martha's similar video. My problem is that most of the fitted sheets I've bought lately are elastic all the way around, not just on the corners. It looks like a giant shower cap & it is not easy to fold!

Last few hotels I stayed in didn't use fitted sheets at all, they used flat sheets tucked in. They also sandwiched the comforter or something between sheets. There's a name for the method, can't think of it. Too much trouble to do at home.

o

I've been folding fitted sheets like that video for years...Heloise was on a talk show years ago and showed that exact same method...I'm with Nikki...the new fitted sheets with elastic all the way around does make for some strange folding! We just got a new mattress and box springs and it's deeper then a well...trying to find flannel sheets for an 18 inch mattress has been interesting at best!

o

Triple sheeting is what the hotel method is called!

I know Liz, it's a pain! I usually use the same set over and over because I can't fold. Or I roll it in a ball and stuff it in the closet :)

o

That's how I always folded fitted sheets UNTIL I got some of the newer ones that have elastic all the way around. What a pain to fold they are!

And I could NEVER bend over a bed like that and fold a sheet. My back would be screaming!

o

Oh I love this thread. I feel so much better about myself now!

My grandma was the ONLY person I had seen that could fold a fitted sheet into the most perfect rectangle. My whole life I tried and usually wound up just rolling them around my fists and stuffing them into the closet, (Nikki I lol at your comment).
One day at the very beginning of my relationship with now DH, we were doing laundry together and I watched him take out the fitted sheet and fold it into the most perfect little rectangle. I was in awe. I just said "Oh Nanny's gonna LOVE you!" She does too. Over the years I've gotten better at folding them but I don't put too much pressure on myself.

Susanjf- aren't those jersey sheets a pain? I have some and have given them as gifts. I put a little note in and say "don't bother trying to fold them neatly, you'll make yourself crazy."

o

I've been thinking of getting out the sewing machine to perform on the top sheets to make them fitted.

My toes say that they dislike being ventilated ... in a cold room in winter!

I sympathize!

ole joyful

o

Liz, I just bought a set of flannel sheets for the first time last week and I'm hooked. They're deep pockets too, in fact deeper than my already tall mattress, but I'm not sure if they would fit an 18". They were a bit pricey but I'm loving them!

I've bought the fitted comforters from Domestications. They call them bunk bed covers, if it's the same thing.

o

I love fitted sheets, but I hate the ones with the elastic all the way around. In the dryer, they suck up the pillow cases and the other sheet and it becomes a huge, damp ball. I'm constantly having to free the cases and then the sheet and dry them separately.

I'm good at folding normal fitted sheets, these new ones are more challenging, especially in a king size, which all my sheets are. However, you don't have to spread them out on the bed to fold them, I dump all our dry stuff on the loveseat and stand behind it and fold, just running my hands down the sides of the sheets until I find the corners.

What really annoys me about sheets is that the length and width of our bed is only 2" different, so whenever we make the bed, unless the sheets have a pattern, chances are the first try is wrong when fitting on the fitted sheet. Phooey! I can't ever remember where the tag is supposed to be, maybe I'll mark them with a Sharpie next time. Toe, Toe. Head, Head. Or should that be Toe, TOE. lol

o

I'm glad my question drew so many fellow sufferers. The day I spend time making perfect rectangles of fitted sheets... has yet to arrive! (But thanks for the video link. I love to see men do housework.)

My 'big slide' took place on Cape Cod where my family and another were vactioning together. My mom though she'd found something wonderful and toted a new pair of nylon twin sets all the way from Chicagoland. The first night my same-aged pal and I leaped into bed we *both* did the slip and slide. Our mothers came running after hearing the twin 'thumps', to find us hysterical with laughter. Later we realized that not only did you have to 'hold on' to stay in bed, but these things were HOT. They didn't make it off the Cape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here