Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you Use an Oven Liner?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 12:36

I've always put a cheap aluminum oven liner on the floor, under the element.
I notice the new ones say to put on the lowest rack.

Is there a reason why it shouldn't be on the floor? Do you notice an uneven oven temp using them?

For things that I know will spill over....scalloped potatoes etc, I always set the dish on a cookie sheet, but pizzas drip onto the oven tray, so I don't want to *not* use one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you Use an Oven Liner?

I have the liner and use it on the floor of the oven, under the bottom element, and have been very satisfied. I wonder why they are saying to put it on the lowest rack?

o

I was told never to put tin foil on the bottom of the stove as it affects the temperature of the oven.

I have a self clean oven so spills clean easy. Just push a button and wait 2 hours, wipe out and done.

o

My oven liner is a big piece of Reynold's heavy alum. foil - works for me!

o

No, I do what Debby does. I can't remember why you shouldn't put a liner on the oven floor.

o

I bought a couple oven liners. When I got home I read the package, and it said not to use in a gas oven. So I've never used them.

o

I also remember reading about not putting foil on the bottom, but I don't remember why.

When I do pizza, I put it right on a cookie sheet. Like debby_ab, I have a self clean oven, so I don't worry about spills.

Sue

o

I put mine on the oven floor also

o

I need a new one and can't find one anywhere.

Mine always went on the bottom of the oven.

o

I don't use one, but sounds like it makes sense. May try it.

o
shouldn't do it

A link for you

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Aluminum Foil Hurt my Oven

o

I've always used these:

o
RE: Do you Use an Oven Liner?....

Mine isn't aluminum, but some kind of flexible stuff...almost like a heavy plastic. Perhaps teflon? I had a cheapie, but got this as part of a gift from a DD, and can't recall just what it is, I've been using for about four years, and it's still good as new.

o

Jasdip-Maybe those instructions are for gas ovens.I know you aren't suppose to put foil or liners in the bottom of gas ovens.

o

For the house in the suburbs--no--it's a gas range, and you can't use a liner or foil on the bottom of one of those.

At the country house, where I have an electric ranges, I just put a sheat of foil under the element, on the bottom of the oven. Does the trick.

o

I never use one. I put my pies on jelly roll pans and if they should run over it is caught on them. Anything else gets on there, if it can't be wiped up I wait till it gets dirtier and then turn that oven on to clean. I have had this range over two years and I think I have only cleaned it 3 times. So no I will not start using one now.

Sue

o

I had NO idea that with the new ovens the heat generated on the floor would cook the aluminum to the floor. Wow.
I guess gas would do the same. I would never have expected that.

o

Years ago, I used to line the bottom of my electric oven with foil. Now I put pies of a cookie sheet lined with foil. I have a self cleaning oven.

o

Be careful with aluminum foil around an electric glass stove top.

A piece of crumpled foil got on one of my burners when the burner was on, and it bonded to the top.
I carefully removed what I could scrape off, but there is a silvery irregular spot there forevever.

The burner still functions all right.

o

I would never use one.

If I have a drippy something, I put it on a pan lined with parchment.

What are you cooking that drips so much you need a drip-pan in the bottom of the oven? Really this is an honest question - I'm not being snarky.

My oven is self cleaning, and I do use that feature, but really, I don't get drips on the bottom of the oven - I get spatters of grease on the walls.

o

I had my bottom oven element short out on one of those foil pans with a lip. Watch the lip doesn't touch the element!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here