Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydro consumption on weekends

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 12:19

I was visiting a friend on Saturday and she was baking pastries in the oven.

It was taking a long time for them to bake properly and she said it was because it was the weekend, and a lot of people were home, and using the hydro. She said she makes these things for dinner thru the week and they cook much faster.

What are your thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydro consumption on weekends

huh? Hydro?

Do you mean electrical? Nonsense. Ovens have thermostats. 350 degrees is 350.

o

I thought hydro was water...

Anyway, sushipup is right. Nonsense.

o

Hydro=hydro electricity. Electricity generated by hydropower.

o

It's a Canadian term. I've never heard it in the US.

o

She was serious Cynic!! She was so upset that they weren't baking properly. I know her well....

We say Hydro in Canada. We don't call it "electricity". Our homes are powered by "hydro" and gas, and we have water.

o

That is what I was going to say--that is this is a Canadian problem, that we know nothing about here in the US. You might call the company you get your electricity from and ask them. Talked to hubby, and he said the voltage drops because too many people are using the electricity generated by water. He reminded me that we had a similar problem up in the mountains in CA and almost burned out the Air conditioner due to voltage problems. Hope that helps a bit.

o

Ovens have thermostats. 350 is 350.

o

Perhaps members of the Commonwealth have different expressions about power?

When we were visiting the UK I was puzzled by the term 'night stored heat'. I think it meant you were to 'store' electricity during the night when demand was low. But *how* would you store it? Batteries?

o

It's very easy to look up the meaning of that term, chisue.

o

My husband was a welder and he said when he was welding in Bismarck and they turned on the Piranah metal cutter they had to turn up the welder because the piranha used too much electricity. he burned out a drill because of that too and he said thats why your lights go dim sometimes because the voltage goes down. In the summer thats why they tell you not to wash clothes in the peak time of the day because you will use too much electricity and then they have power outages and burn out appliances and freezers and things.

o

I think it is more a problem with her oven than the electricity that comes from the grid. Although in the summer there may be the odd fluctuation because of high usage of air conditioners on extremely hot days but usually Hyrdo One outputs more electricity when they know that is going to happen.

I wonder if your friend buys her power from a private electric company and that could be the problem. I don't really know how they work or if they control how much electricity comes into your home.

I would think less electricity is used overall on the weekends because big factories are usually shut down. That is why when you are on a smart meter you are charged less on the weekends.

I don't hear the term hydro used very often anymore except to see the words Hydro One debt reduction" on my electric bill. Usually the term electricity or power is used more frequently but they are interchangeable. Guess it depends where you live or how old you are LOL

Marie, did you know that Canada exports surplus electricity to the United States?

Here is a link that might be useful: Where does Canada's Surplus Power Go

This post was edited by cherryfizz on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 22:17

o

Yes, Sushipup, ovens do have thermostats and 350 is 350, but if the oven isn't getting enough power it may not be able to maintain 350, especially in cold weather.

o

Anne, I never thought of her perhaps being on a private company for her hydro.

Regarding the use of the word "hydro", I've never heard it being called "electric". We get a bi-monthly hydro bill, the words "rent including Hydro", is used regularly.....they don't state "electricity" included in the rent. :)

o

I just had a thought. Does your friend have a really old electric range? Like one with a poor thermostat?

o

No they are newish appliances. All KitchenAid stainless steel appliances.

o

Hydro as in the famous Canadian Ontario Hydro. One place it generates a lot of electrical power is at the White Dog dam on the Winnipeg river just north of the "Rainy River District". This dam is operated automatically and is controlled remotely from a location miles away. It is unique in that the control and monitoring signals are carried on the high voltage transmission lines. Ontario Hydro was a pioneer in developing this technique. Special design features are employed for winter oepration when icing is a problem. For the most part, the Winnipeg flowage freezes over, but the river continues to flow under the ice. The winter flow rate is not as large as that of the spring time thaw.

The other massive power generation is at Niagra Falls where both Canada and the US extracts flow for power generation. There is enough installed capacity at Niagra Falls to comsume all the flow leaving none for the falls. The amount allocted for the falls is by agreement between both countries. At night when the tourists are away, flow through the turbines is increased. Electrical power generated at Niagra Falls supplys a large chunk of the energy for the north east US Power grid.

Now, about those slow ovens. It all depends on what kind of oven one has and whether or not the household has subscribed to a power management system. Usually, reduced electric rates are available to customers who have agreed to have a power management system installed. The power company controls the managment system. At peak periods, non-essential loads are shed. Typically, electric hot water heaters, clothes dryers, air conidtioners and sometimes kitchen ranges are shut off. The off period can be different for different loads. The hot water heater may have the longest off-period.

If the electric oven is on a managed circuit, it would be seriously affected. However, most homemakers would find this interruption is troublesome and would not choose it.

Likely, it is voltage drop during peak load periods that affects electric stoves. Voltage regulation is very good where I live, but many years ago, I lived in a rural area where voltage regulation was poor.

In the US, household voltagec can vary from 110 to 120 V and be within specifications. Watts available to a resistance heated range is proportional to square of the voltage. So, the heating ratio between 120 and 110 volts is (110/120)^2 or 0.84 The amount of heat available can vary by 16%. This would affect cook top elements and the amount of time for an oven to heat up. Other affected cooking appliances are microwave ovens and the newer induction heated cook surfaces.

A gas range is not affected so long as the solenoid valve works.

So, the answer is, It all depends.

o

I know exactly what you are talking about Jasdip-I "think" because Hydro has the less cost per usage on wknds,she "could" be experiencing exactly what happens when the a/c's are using it in such great demand in the summer
Altho,we find it hard to fathom there being much of a difference,you figure all the working women out there that do ALL of their housework etc on wknds,and with the usage charges being so much less on wknds., it could very well be the issue with that woman
If that woman finds her oven putting out fine thru the week,then obviously,her oven is not the issue
I tend to use my Hydro MOSTLY when the rates are lower.
We experience brown outs here regularly,which Hydro continues to be paid for,we have outages here second to none,which they are also paid for-so,all in all,IF she is with a different carrier,the usage may be lessened.If she is with good old Hydro One,nothing would surprise me.
I know of a g/f whose Hydro was cut down to 15% usage only a few years back-when it was like that,she could only use a toaster ad have one light on in the kitchen at a time-when she wanted the television on,that was ALL that could be on-so,nothing would surprise me

o

I did not realize that Canada exported as much electricty as it did. I am not sure of our area (ND) as we get most of ours from coal and wind.

o

Most of the export is from Quebec, where they have a lot of rivers to dam, shipped to the Northeast U.S.

The original producer of electricity in Ontario was The Ontario Hydroelectric Power Commission, following Sir Adam Beck's ideas and tunnels were cut down from above Niagara Falls to generators just at the level of the river below the falls, with the water under that high pressure turning the original generators.

All that I was ever used to calling the electric service when I grew up in Ontario was "hydro", so when we moved to Sakatchewan and they referred to it as "power", that was surprising to me.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here