Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here Comes Our Snow

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 11:56

DH just checked the gutters near the sycamore in advance of the snow warning that is to begin this afternoon and run for 24 hours.

We're at 44F with rain now, but temperatures are to plunge with more rain, then ice, then snow and high winds. Perfect conditions for power outages and traffic accidents. The city may not have more than three inches, but immediately north of us in Wisconsin may get a foot. Some schools have already declared Friday a snow day.

We've had NO snow until this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here Comes Our Snow

This is our first snow, also. About 10 inches.

o

We got about 10" a little over a week ago I think it was. Settled a lot. Doesn't look anywhere near what it looked like at first. Been a cold dry winter here so far. Nothing too unmanageable though. Pretty dry fall too so not much moisture in the ground which isn't good.

o

It's been cold and raining all day today. Dark sky...snow supposed to start tonight. Not looking forward to it because I have to work in the morning. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just me on the road...but there are always idiots who insist on driving 90 mph on ice.

o

We've had 3-4 inches over the last couple of days. Here on the west coast we don;t do snow very well. Actually we prefer not to do it at all. It's raining now so hopefully I'll have my green grass back by Sunday.

o

I know they had at least of foot of snow in Madison, cancelled finals today. We are in the far north and have about 5 inches, but temp is now plummeting and wind is picking up.

o

There goes our snow...

Big whoop! We have a dusting. That storm whipped by us so fast there wasn't time for it to leave anything. We heard the wind last night, but had no damage and no electrical outages. Goodie! Mid-20's today.

o

I spent 2 hours digging out two cars in my driveway, and clearing the drive and sidewalk. The stuff stuck to the shovel - nasty. Luckily, the snow blower was able to move the snow without plugging. The water content is high. The snow plow gift on the sidewalk was not welcomed.

The doors on one car was welded shut by ice.

o

Gosh, I hate that you all have to drive in that stuff. Hope the sun comes out an melts it all away before your family/friends come for Christmas. Or if you have to go out and go to them.

Chisue, really hoping that snow is gone by Tuesday morning. DSis#1 and DBIL are flying out to Milwaukee and driving to Gurnee, IL that morning for Christmas with their kids. They live in NW IN in the summer and here in winter. Don't know why they don't just have the kids all come here!

Please be careful everyone--especially if you're out shoveling. Very hard on us as we get a little older.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here