SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Our Sad Day at the Grocery

chisue
10 years ago

DH and I decided to stop at our local Dominick's grocery yesterday on our way home from other errands.

I should have known something was going on when I found only a single cart available at the entrance. Once inside, there were signs saying the store was closing, and most things were fifty percent off. Twelve registers were going strong, but it took us about 45 minutes to check out our few items. People had two carts full of *stuff*. (I did buy six Lindt bars, but the rest was just what was on my list.)

It was so sad. The chain is leaving the Chicago area, closing 72 stores, and only a few have been bought by another grocer. ALL the employees will lose their jobs as of the official closing date of Dec. 28. Only some will be rehired anywhere. There were a lot of "Good Luck's" and "We'll miss you's" as we checked out.

Nice going, Safeway. You took a thriving chain and killed it. How ironic that the Chicago manager you replaced (Bob Mariano) is now head of a new, thriving group of Chicagoland stores: Mariano's. He's bought a few of the Dominick's stores, and the Jewel chain bought four.

IMO this is only partly to do with the current heavy competition among grocers -- some of it due to discounters like Costco and some due to upscale grocers. It's not the first time we've seen that local buyers and management can work better than distant 'overlords'. Chicago icon Marshall Field's also died a slow death under remote management.

Comments (9)