SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20023316

Humbled by Sister in Laws Gift

User
11 years ago

This past summer I had a by pass in my left leg..and it took a long time to recover mainly because there were alot of complications. What was only suppose to be a two or three hour operation turned into a twelve hour operation with my surgeon having to call in two other surgeons for their help. I had some genetic deformities with branches in my arteries that were not suppose to be there and they had to do alot of tying off of them...I am not sure if I am explaining this well. I had an incision from the right side of my groin to the left side of my groin all the way down to the top part of my ankle, also another incision half way down left leg parallel to that first incision. Then, I had a mild heart attack during the procedure. I had to have part of my foot amputated because that is how this whole thing started in the first place. My foot started turning black. Yep, it had started turning gangrene, because of no circulation. I had noticed it for several years where it would be discolored or maybe several of my toenail would be black but it would go back to normal and I never mentioned it to my dr. Yep, really, really dumb. Too busy. So, much for the whine... Anyway, I was in the hospital during my birthday and my sister in law has given all her two siblings and their spouses a huge birthday bash on their 60th. She is the oldest of all her sibling. Well, I had my 60th in the hospital, I am the youngest of all them. During my stay at the hospital my husband took a FMLA from his work and stayed with me in the hospital and then at home. I had to learn how to walk all over again...I would not wish this on my worse enemy! Actually, don't have any enemies that I know. LOL. She would send us $500.00 checks at a time over the course of my recuperation. I ran out of ways to thank her and was reduced to tears...it was something else. I did not expect a 60th birthday bash..I figured she was giving us money to help us and that would be my birthday bash sort of speak. Well, no...At Thanksgiving she decided to rent a huge home in the mountains where we could all meet and have thanksgiving..it had cabins and a main place where most of us could stay. I did not have any idea that this was going to turn into a huge birthday celebration for me. She provided all the food and we all joined in and cooked...Well, I sat and did the easy work. :( Little did I know she had planned this as my birthday bash!!!! I knew I could not go on a cruise...(nor would I want to, I am just not a cruise kinda girl) My husband got a wrap around porch for our house for his birthday bash and a steak cook out. (no, she is not married or has any kids) I got soo many presents and then after all had left and we got in our car to leave stuck in my pocketbook was a birthday card with the most beautiful words, Hey sis, I wish for your birthday...(I am just her sister in law) and out falls a check for 5,000 dollars. How in the world, and I am dumbfounded...so undeserving..humbled!! I have been in this family for 40 years, well I grew up with them also. I can never do enough in a life time to show her what is in my heart..I am crying as I write this. I tell you this not to brag, but because my heart is so full.

Comments (24)