Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humbled by Sister in Laws Gift

Posted by thistledew5750 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 11:42

This past summer I had a by pass in my left leg..and it took a long time to recover mainly because there were alot of complications. What was only suppose to be a two or three hour operation turned into a twelve hour operation with my surgeon having to call in two other surgeons for their help. I had some genetic deformities with branches in my arteries that were not suppose to be there and they had to do alot of tying off of them...I am not sure if I am explaining this well. I had an incision from the right side of my groin to the left side of my groin all the way down to the top part of my ankle, also another incision half way down left leg parallel to that first incision. Then, I had a mild heart attack during the procedure. I had to have part of my foot amputated because that is how this whole thing started in the first place. My foot started turning black. Yep, it had started turning gangrene, because of no circulation. I had noticed it for several years where it would be discolored or maybe several of my toenail would be black but it would go back to normal and I never mentioned it to my dr. Yep, really, really dumb. Too busy. So, much for the whine... Anyway, I was in the hospital during my birthday and my sister in law has given all her two siblings and their spouses a huge birthday bash on their 60th. She is the oldest of all her sibling. Well, I had my 60th in the hospital, I am the youngest of all them. During my stay at the hospital my husband took a FMLA from his work and stayed with me in the hospital and then at home. I had to learn how to walk all over again...I would not wish this on my worse enemy! Actually, don't have any enemies that I know. LOL. She would send us $500.00 checks at a time over the course of my recuperation. I ran out of ways to thank her and was reduced to tears...it was something else. I did not expect a 60th birthday bash..I figured she was giving us money to help us and that would be my birthday bash sort of speak. Well, no...At Thanksgiving she decided to rent a huge home in the mountains where we could all meet and have thanksgiving..it had cabins and a main place where most of us could stay. I did not have any idea that this was going to turn into a huge birthday celebration for me. She provided all the food and we all joined in and cooked...Well, I sat and did the easy work. :( Little did I know she had planned this as my birthday bash!!!! I knew I could not go on a cruise...(nor would I want to, I am just not a cruise kinda girl) My husband got a wrap around porch for our house for his birthday bash and a steak cook out. (no, she is not married or has any kids) I got soo many presents and then after all had left and we got in our car to leave stuck in my pocketbook was a birthday card with the most beautiful words, Hey sis, I wish for your birthday...(I am just her sister in law) and out falls a check for 5,000 dollars. How in the world, and I am dumbfounded...so undeserving..humbled!! I have been in this family for 40 years, well I grew up with them also. I can never do enough in a life time to show her what is in my heart..I am crying as I write this. I tell you this not to brag, but because my heart is so full.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humbled by Sister in Laws Gift

Oh my, what a wonderful person she seems to be. Your story brought tears to my eyes as well.

o

That is 1 special SIL! Your story brought tears to my eyes, also.

o

So sorry for all your recent health issues.. sounds like a lot to go through. (((Thistledew)))

Your SIL must be a wonderful person to do so much for everyone. I hope everyone pitches in and does something very special for one of her milestone birthdays (or maybe just her next birthday?).

o

WoW. She sounds like a wonderful woman. With money! lol
AND the great thing is, she wants to use it to create
memories for her family. That is awesome.

Thistledew, I'm so sorry to hear of your health challenges.
This surgery just happened this summer, you sound like you are on the way to a good recovery. I know it's hard, but it sounds like you have such a support system and the will to work for it. You are an inspiration!

o

that is awesome! whenever I am talking about winning the lottery I always say 1st I would send private jets all around the world to gather up my extensive family and we would have a christmas or Thanksgiving or Easter holiday like we did when I was growing up, all together! nothing in the world would make me happier and spending your own $$ is a way to make one happy! I am sure she felt as wonderful giving to you, as you felt receiving! ~ liz

o

(((Thistledew)))

o

That is so sweet and kind of your sister!

o

A good reminder that there are still good people in this world. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that, because we hear so much of the bad.

You have been through such a difficult time, and I hope all that is behind you now and nothing but sunshine in your future.

Sue

o

I'll bet you showed her what is in your heart a long time ago. This story says a lot about your sister-in-law, but it also says a lot about you. Your sister-in-law loves you, and I'm sure she's not the only one.

Belated Happy Birthday!

o

Thistledew, thanks for writing that beautiful tribute. I wish she could see it. You two are much much more than sisters-in-law, more like sister-in-love. She loves you so much that she did all that she could for you in the spirit of love and it doesn't get any better than that. Knowing what you endured must have caused her great worry and concern and she is one who puts her love out there. Thank God you are able to be about after your long and painful ordeal. When people are ill, that's when other people reach down in to their humanity and spirituality and act. God bless both of you.

o

Wow! Just 'wow' to know you are so *connected* as Family! I think you are both pretty amazing people.

o

Amazing story. So sorry about your health challenges, but happy for you that you have such a great family.

o

Wow--she know that you can't take it with you and she wants to be generous with the people she loves. How great is that?!

What a great story.

o

wow... you';re so lucky to have had such a long relationship...dh and i have only know his half sister for about 10 years..(fil kept her and and a first marriage a secret) and we both are so blessed now...only wish they were closer, sigh..they're in colorado, we're in mi...bless you both!

o

Your SIL sounds like a wonderful person but you must be a wonderful person, too to receive such love and generosity. You are both lucky to have one another. Good luck on your continued recovery. I think this is going to be the merriest of Christmases for you all.

o

I would say what goes around comes around. Your SIL is a remarkable women, Thistledew, and she obviously feels the same about you.

Your story was the warmest one I've read in a long time.

I'm so sorry about your recent health issues. It certainly sounds like you're strong, and you sure have a loving family to help you through it.

o

I was going to say exactly what georgysmom said....YOU must be wonderful too if she is that generous to you! I am so sorry for all you've been through. I truly pray that 2013 is a wonderful year for you. :)

btw - what in the world did your sil do for a living?? lol

o

You are truly loved, Thistledew. I'm sure your wonderful SISTER-in-law is repaid exponentially with love which is worth way more than money. She sounds like a great lady.

o

What a wonderful story.

o

Hope your health is getting better. I can only imagine your sil's thoughtfulness helps you feel good and that is important for healing! She is a blessing in many ways.

o

Sounds like you've had a bad year. Hope things get better. But it can't get any better than a SIL like that! You are truly blessed!

o

You are sooo blessed...what a lucky lady you are to be in such a caring and wonderful family...

o

Awesome, just awesome. Blessings on you and sister-in-law.
A heartwarming story for the season of giving!

o

I hope you overcome all your recent health problems. What a wonderful family you have. What a wonderful SIL you have.

Just imagine how her heart swells when she is able to do such wonderful things for the people she loves the most. It's a blessing. For her and you.

I hope you feel better very soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here