Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Sweets - Week 3 December 2012

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 11:30

Here is a great trifle for the holidays. I got this from another site.

CHOCOLATE TRIFLE

1 box devil's food cake mix
1 - 2 tubs cool whip (originally, it was 1 tub, but we always used more :)
Hershey's Syrup
seasonal colored M&Ms

Make the cake according to package directions. When cool, cut/break into pieces about 2x2 inches, and arrange 1/2 in the bottom of the trifle dish. Drizzle generously with Hershey's Syrup, and top with 1/2 of the cool whip. Repeat until trifle bowl is full, and sprinkle top with seasonal garnish (red & green M&Ms for Christmas, pastel M&Ms for Easter, etc.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Sweets - Week 3 December 2012

So easy and so good!

Chocolate sour cream cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2.In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour batter into baking dish.
3.Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.

Top with whipped cream, frosting of choice, or dust with confectionate sugar.

Grandson has requested this for Christmas snack.

Chocolate Mousse dip
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate I use 2/3 cup chocolate chips which equals 2 squares, cause they melt faster

1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping, divided I used the small container, which is 8 oz and LITE

PLACE chocolate in small bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 min., stirring after 30 sec. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. It takes a little longer than 1 minute, but stir after each 30 seconds until melted

ADD 1/2 cup of the whipped topping; stir until well blended. this is important to temper, and STIR FAST, so the hot chocolate blends with the 1/2 cup and doesn't harden,, THEN Gently stir in remaining 1 cup whipped topping; cover.

REFRIGERATE at least 30 min.

We enjoy this dip with Snyders honey wheat pretzel sticks

o

"Clouds at Sunset." Recipes often used to have alluring names.

Clouds at Sunset

Click to enlarge and you can read the recipe.

I like to make this at Christmas because of the color and because it is something different.

The apple pie is just thrown in as a freebie because I copied them together, a long time ago.

Cool Whip can be used instead of whipped cream, but hey, it is Christmas!

Sue

o

Peppermint Crunch Puppy chow

Four ingredients is all it takes. No bake, no chilling, no sweat, no fret. The magical mixture of rice Chex cereal, white chocolate, crushed candy canes, and powdered sugar shake together to make your new favorite holiday treat.

First, melt the white chocolate. No magic tricks here just melt in the microwave according to package directions. I used Bakers White Chocolate bars. It's so smooth, creamy, and melts in the microwave SO easily.

Once melted, pour the white chocolate over the Chex cereal. I go with the Rice Chex Cereal over the Corn Chex when I'm making puppy chow. The Rice variety hardly has any flavor perfect for recipes like this.

Next, crush up some festive candy canes and throw them into the mix I went with the green and red striped variety for an added pop of color. Regular candy canes will work just fine. :)

The fourth and final ingredient is your confectioners sugar. This is the fun part. Pour 1 cup of the soft powdery sugar into a large zip lock bag. Add your melty white chocolate chex/candy canes and go to town.

Shake shake shake!

There! You've got yourself a hefty dose of Christmas crunch right there, folks.

Just a warning eating too much of this at midnight will keep you up for hours. I speak from experience. Hellooo, sugar!

o
RE: Recipes for Sweets - ......Week 3 December 2012

Here is the pic for the puppy chow

o

I made these today, it is my version of McDonald's Holiday pies that are out now. We call them "Pudy" Pies as Alyssa says pudding that way.

Alyssa's Pudy Pies

You will need pie dough either homemade or store bought. Line several glass custard cups with dough, cutting it off at the top. Also cut out rounds of dough for the top crust, using whatever size cutter will fit, it does not have to be sealed at the top, just lay it inside of the top. Use a box of instant vanilla pudding and make according to making a pie instructions on the box. Pour into the pastry lined custard cups. Do not fill too full. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg and a small dab of butter. Put the top crust on that has a couple of slits cut into it. Sprinkle the top with multicolored sprinkles. Place all cups on a jelly roll pan. Bake in a hot oven, 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbled up and the crust is brown. It depends on the size of your cups how many it will make and the size of the pudding mix you have. Very good. When cool cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.

Sue

o

Here is the original old recipe for fudge from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. The recipe on the box now is different.

Hershey's Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Candy

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter foil. In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil without stirring, to 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer (or until syrup, when dropped in very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of pan. (This can take 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat. Add butter & vanilla extract. Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and loses some of its gloss. This can take 15-20 minutes. It starts to look more like frosting than a thick syrup when it is ready. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cut into squares while warm.

o

I had this for the first time this past week-end:

Watergate Salad

1 box pistachio pudding mix
1 container Cool Whip
1 can crushed pineapple (the one I had used an 8-oz can & was delectable, but someone told me you can use a big can if you like more tartness)
diced pecans or walnuts if you like them
mini-marshmallows if you like them.

Dump everything in a bowl that has a lid.
Stir it all up, cover the bowl, & refrigerate until it "sets".

This is absolutely decadent!

o

Here are the measurements for the peppermint puppy chow.

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

makes 5 cups

5 cups Rice Chex cereal
10 ounces melting white chocolate OR vanilla flavored Almond Bark
1 cup crushed candy canes
1 cup powdered sugar

Pour 5 cups of Chex Cereal into a large bowl. Melt white chocolate/almond bark according to the package directions. Pour melted chocolate over cereal, stirring and folding until the cereal is completely covered. Fold in the crushed candy canes

In a large zipped top bag or covered container, add the powdered sugar. Pour the chocolate covered cereal/candy canes into the large bag or container. Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered mixture.

Discard excess powder and enjoy!

Store at room temperature up to 2 weeks, if it lasts that long!

RECIPE SOURCE: SALLYSBAKINGADDICTION.COM

o

Walnutcreek, thank you for the memory! My great aunt used to fill an electric roaster full of assorted fudges and candies. The one from the Hershey's box was my favorite. I have her recipe box, and will look thru it to see if she had the recipe written down. I have a copy that was requested in our newspaper's cook's corner several years ago, supposedly the original, but the cocoa measurment is different than what you posted.

Tami

o

I love Watergate Salad, thanks for the recipe, Sylvia.

Tami, let us know if you find the recipe in the recipe box, please, and any differences.

Here is a recipe that we love. I make it infrequently because it is so rich.

Apple Dumplings

2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
2 10-ounce cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 12-fluid ounce can or bottle Mountain Dew

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate crescents into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

o

This is a variation of the EZ Bars, aka 7 Layer Bars, Hello Dolly Bars and other names.

Chocolate Raspberry Layer Bars
1 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (NOTE: I like to mix chocolate, vanilla and butterscotch chips)
2 2/3 cups flaked coconut (NOTE: I omit this)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup seedless raspberry jam (NOTE: Or jam of your choice)
1/3 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in a medium bowl. Press firmly into bottom of ungreased 9X13 pan. (NOTE: I usually melt the butter in the pan, then sprinkle the crumbs on top. Saves cleaning a bowl and works just fine)
Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, then coconut, then pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. 350°F 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
Spread jam over cooled top, sprinkle with nuts. Place remaining semi-sweet chocolate chips in a heavy duty plastic bag. Do the same with the white chocolate chips. Place both bags into the microwave an medium power for 45 seconds, kneed bags. Microwave in 10 second intervals, kneading each time until smooth. Cut a small hole in corner of bags and squeeze to drizzle over bars. Chill for 5 minutes until chocolate is set. Cut into bars.

o

Here is Ann_T's recipe for delicious cream cheese coffeecake.

Cream Cheese Danish Coffee Cake
Here is one of my favourites. This recipe makes four large danish or...........you can make individual Danish. ann_t@gardenweb
1 c sour cream
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1 t. salt
2 packages dry yeast (4 1/2 t.)
1/2 c warm water
2 eggs beaten
4 c all purpose flour

Filling
2 packages
8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
1 egg beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt

Glaze
2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 c milk
1 t. vanilla extract
toasted sliced almonds.
Over low heat in a small saucepan, heat butter, sour cream , sugar and salt until warm and sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Mix sour cream mixture with yeast and add beaten eggs and flour. Will be a very soft dough. Put in fridge overnite to rise. (May be done same day. Put in fridge for about 2 to 4 hours, and then proceed.
Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 6 or 7 times. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece out to 12 X 8 inches.
Spread 1/4 of filling on to each piece and roll jellyroll style from long side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on buttered baking sheet and cut X's in top. (About 6 X's) (Danish should be slightly flatten, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.
Cover and let rise until about double in size -approximately 1 hour Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire racks,
Filling: To make filling beat together cream cheese with sugar, add egg and vanilla extract and salt
Glaze: Combine the first 3 ingredients for glaze and drizzle over loaves with toasted almonds
These freeze well.

o

Sylvia, I had forgotten all about Watergate Salad. It is really good and I need to make some before long.

Walnutcreek, I have that recipe for Apple Dumplings. Mine is called Mini Apple Dumplings and doesn't call for Mt. Dew. What does the MD do to/for the recipe?

I used to make them when my neighbor brought me apples from the orchard, then I shared the dumplings with them. They have moved away and I miss them and the apples.

Sue

o

These are a huge hit at work and with clients. I received orders for 13 dozen this week alone! They freeze beautifully.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (Annie's Eats)
Yield: about 32 sandwich cookies
Ingredients

For the pumpkin cookies:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup canola oil
3 cups chilled pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

For the maple cream cheese filling:
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, cold
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions

To make the pumpkin cookies, preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk sugars and oil together. Add the pumpkin puree and whisk to combine thoroughly. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the pumpkin mixture and whisk until completely combined.

Transfer the cookie batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip (I use an Ateco #809). Pipe small rounds of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1.5-2 inches in diameter. (If your dough seems to thick to pipe, you can drop scoops of it onto the baking sheet. Or just add a bit more liquid. This recipe is pretty forgiving.)

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.

To make the filling, combine the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-heat speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, maple syrup and vanilla and beat until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat the filling or it will lose structure. Transfer the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.

To assemble, pair the cookies up by size. Pipe filling onto the flat side of one cookie of each pair, and sandwich together with the remaining cookie. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm before serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

o

Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
Directions:
1 For the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
2 In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and carrots. On low speed gradually add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Stir in walnuts.
3 Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets 1 inch apart. Bake for 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling racks to cool completley.
4 For the glaze: In a small mixing bowl wisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest.
5 Dip tops of cooled cookies into glaze and place on cooling racks to set.

o

Saltine Toffee

1 C butter
1 C packed dark brown sugar
36 (2"x2") saltine crackers
1 (12 oz) pkg. chocolate chips
1/2 C pecans, chopped

In pan over medium heat, blend butter and brown sugar. Heat to boiling and boil for 4 minutes. Cover a 10"x15" pan with foil and butter lightly. Place a single layer of saltines on foil (closely). Pour batter mixture over crackers; spread evenly.
Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Allow to soften and spread evenly over cooked crackers. Sprinkle with nuts.
Refrigerate until cool. Break into pieces and store in a tin container. Can be kept in refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
*** I would like to add that the next time I make these I will push the nuts down a little. Many fell off when I was breaking the pieces apart.***

o

Sue, I have no idea what the Mountain Dew does for the apple dumplings, I just always use it because that is what the recipe calls for.

My family is crazy and doesn't care for butterscotch. I could probably live on it; however, I don't make this too often. It makes a most delicious butterscotch. Normally, I do not make the meringue for the pie.

Butterscotch Meringue Pie

1/3 cup sifted flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 9” baked pie shell

Mix flour, sugar, and salt; gradually add milk. Cook 2 minutes and remove from heat.

Add small amount milk mixture to the egg yolks, stir into remaining hot mixture, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly. Pour into pastry shell and cool.

Top with meringue, bake in moderate oven (350) 12-15 minutes.

Meringue: Beat 3 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt until frothy; beat in 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until meringue is stiff and glossy. Add 1/2 t vanilla; beat only enough to blend.

Source: Farm Journal’s Country Cookbook, 1959

o

These are super easy and super good

Dinksys Gooey Bars
1 box Duncan hines devil's food cake mix
mix with 1 stick of butter(melted) and 1 egg.

Put in a 9x13 pan press into corners.

then in a mixing bowl mix up 8 oz softened cream cheese ,
1box powdered sugar,
2 eggs,
1 running over tsp vanilla
and 1 cup chopped pecans.

Pour all that over the cake stuff in the pan and bake at 350 for around 40 minutes

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

see all that gooey goodness!!

o

Christmas Fruit Salad

2 pkg. raspberry gelatin
2 c. hot water
1 c. nut meats
1 c. crushed pineapple
3 bananas, sliced
1 small box marshmallows
1 small bottle red cherries

Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Cool until slightly thickened, add nut meats, fruits and marshmallows. Chill until firm. Serve on lettuce with cheese crackers. Garnish with mayonnaise.

o

Walnutcreek, thanks for the reply. Next time I make those, I'll use the MD and see what happens.

RC, that looks like my kind of goody! I just happen to have the cake mix on hand, will get some cream cheese. Probably wait until after Christmas though.

Sue

o

Good muffins.

Hawaiian Muffins

2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup crushed drained pineapple
1 cup coconut

Add eggs, milk and oil to sifted dry ingredients. Stir until blended. Add coconut and pineapple and mix well. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here