Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't know what to make....

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 10:49

for Christmas dinner at work. The few people who signed up to bring dishes are all bringing side dishes or dessert. Most didn't get specific so I have no idea what they're bringing. I was going to do seafood crepes like we do at home but one person told me she doesn't like seafood so I'm not doing that. So, I'm thinking turkey or lasagna....or something else. Any ideas? Someone is bringing some kind of relish tray and someone might bring leftover ham from their dinner at home....that's all I know.

I have to make my mind up today because I'm working overtime tomorrow at our other hospital so won't have time to do anything tomorrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't know what to make....

Frozen meatballs in a crockpot, throw your favorite BBQ sauce over. Done!

o

Kath, I was going to suggest a roast chicken from whichever store has the best price. Slice it at home and re wrap to take it.

OR:

BeeOHIO, that is exactly what I'm doing for Christmas Eve. Kroger had Armour Meatballs on special for $1.99 for a bag of 26 small meatballs. Recipe from a friend says 2 bottles of Kraft Honey BBQ sauce and 1 bottle of Kraft Original BBQ sauce. I had these at the friend's house a couple weeks ago and they are sooo good.

Price wise the chicken and the meatballs will be about the same.

Hope this helps.

Sue

o

Are you still getting the people that just come in to eat and aren't in your group, Kath? That would irk me to pieces.

I like the idea of cutting up a couple of rotisserie chickens, you can't buy a raw chicken for the price they sell them for cooked.

o

Or you could buy the rotisserie chicken and make a hot chicken salad with it.

Hot Chicken salad

1/4 C. mayo
2 C diced cooked chicken
1 C chopped celery
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 C.slivered almonds
2 tsp chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
potato chips, crushed
3/4 c. grated cheddar cheese

Mix first 7 ingredients together thoroughly. Place in 9 x 13dish. Mix together crushed potato chips and cheese and sprinkle on top of casserole Bake 400, 30 - 45 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6 - 8 recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.

o

I like the rotissiere chicken idea. You haven't been feeling all that hot so make it easy on yourself. But if you really want to make something, you could try this recipe that Jasdip posted. I was going to make it at T-giving but I needed my crockpot for the mashed potatoes. I will be making it soon. It looks like a lot of "stuff" but if you read the recipe, it would go together pretty fast. Sure sounds delicious!

SLOW-COOKER STUFFING/DRESSING (Jasdip@KT)

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
12 cups dry bread cubes
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Spray slow-cooker with non-stick spray and transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for about 4 hours.

o

You cannot let one person rule what a person brings. If you feel like you want to make your seafood crepes--go for it and that person will, I am sure find other things to eat. You do what you feel is best for you. Enjoy and have a great holiday season.

o

If you want to take lasagna, Luckygardnr posted this a while back. Also made in the crockpot so it's very easy and will stay warm. When I made it I left out the mushrooms and red pepper and used cottage cheese, because I like the milder taste of it over the ricotta (also like the price better). It's yummy! Oh--if you have 4 hours of work before anyone eats, I suggest putting all the ingredients in the crockpot but not cooking it until you get to work. Four hours was plenty with the newer, warmer crockpots.

CROCK POT LASAGNA

8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (I used about 1-1/4 lb.)
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup water
1 small carton of fresh mushrooms (I didn't use)
15 oz. ricotta or 24 oz. cottage cheese (can use low fat)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 red pepper (I didn't use)
1 sweet onion

1. Break noodles. Place half in bottom of greased slow cooker or use a Reynolds Slow Cooker Bag and there's no mess.

2. Brown ground beef. Drain. Stir in Italian seasoning. Spread half over noodles in slow cooker.

3. Layer half of sauce and water, half of mushrooms, half the pepper, half of the onion, half of ricotta or cottage cheese and half of mozzarella cheese over beef. Repeat layers.

4. Cover. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. (You can also double these ingredients and make 3 layers.) With newer crock pots, 4 hours is enough.

o

I'd do something easy, and crowd-pleasing like baked ziti. You can do it with our without meat (I often just quarter purchased meatballs, and toss them in). Either way, it will serve as a main dish, and everyone loves it. Not to mention, you can put one together in about 20 minutes (not counting baking time.

Don't stress, do something super easy that you know will be appreciated.

o

Lazy Cook here says, do the meat balls or you can do little smokies the same way~~~I do something with grape jelly and a red chili sauce.

o

Yes, Flamingo, still goes on.

I may do the baked ziti. I've never made it before but it would be good and hearty. I'll just use my spaghetti sauce recipe and maybe do the frozen meatballs. Thanks for all the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here