Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beer Bread~~~

Posted by YogaLady1948 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 10:40

I need a good recipe~~~my family loves it, I usually by Tastfully Simple boxes of it, but no one was having a party. So I will have to wing it, with the KT's help;)

Namaste

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beer Bread~~~

Beer Bread
Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 4:11

I may have posted this one before, but it is T and T and so easy and delicious.
Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour*
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (12-ounce) can of beer
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 375*F (190*C). Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf. ***I brush the top with melted butter before baking

*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.

o

I can't help with a recipe. The BEST beer bread I ever had was at Wunsche Brothers Cafe in Spring, Texas. Opened in 1902.

o

this bread is out of this world. but, pour 1/4 cup of melted butter over the top before baking. produces a really crunchy crust.

Here is a link that might be useful: whole wheat beer bread

o

Beer Yeast Bread
Yeasty and tender bread is quick and very easy to make.

2 and 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

1 cup beer
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon honey (may increase to 2 tbsp)

1 egg

Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, caraway, salt, and yeast and stir to blend. In a saucepan, combine beer, butter and honey and heat to very warm (butter will get very soft or melt, but don't allow the mix to boil). Pour into flour mixture. Add the egg. Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in the mixing bowl.

Stir down dough and pour into prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 30-35 minutes until bread is deep golden brown. Remove from pan and cool until barely warm before slicing.

Recipe works very well with a red or brown ale, such as Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar.

o

I made a Beer Bread I got off the Internet last night, and I have to say, it was THE best bread ever. The melted butter poured on top..oh my!

Thankfully we had some self-rising flour.

The key to this bread is to SIFT SIFT SIFT the flour. Which is real easy if you have one of those mesh drainers w/handle. Here's the recipe.

Beer Bread

3 c. SIFTED Self-rising Flour
1/4 c. Sugar
1 egg
1 12 oz. Beer, any flavor except Lite (My beer was cold)
1/2 c. melted Butter

Mix first 4 ingredients together with a Whisk. Pour into sprayed loaf pan. Gently smooth top of batter. Pour melted butter on top. Bake for 45-55 min (until light golden brown) at 350.

Let sit in pan for about 10 minutes. Invert.

If you don't have self-rising flour, you can find other recipes online, but you'll need baking powder and I think more sugar.

I can't praise this bread enough!

o

I've made beer bread in the past but my problem has been buying beer since our town has been "dry" for many years. We just voted to sell beer and wine. It's on my grocery list to buy self rising flour and beer. I like the sound of the recipe with an egg. The one I've always used doesn't call for one.

o

Bisquick beer bread
INGREDIENTS:

4 cups Bisquick
4 teaspoons sugar
8 ounces beer

DIRECTIONS:

Mix Bisquick, sugar and beer until smooth. Pour in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees F until brown.

o

Thanks everyone~~~now I just need to decide which one to use;)

o

To quote Homer: "mmmmm Beer..."
Here's a few more variations:

This is the one I've used. It's great.

BEER BATTER BREAD
• 3 C flour
• 1 T baking powder
• 3 T sugar (another used 1 T)
• 1-teaspoon salt
• 1 (12 oz) beer (room temp)
• 1/4 C melted unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the beer all at once, mixing as little as possible; the batter should be lumpy.

Pour the batter into a 9”x5”x3” loaf pan and brush with the melted butter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Makes 1 loaf.
Note: I usually just pour the butter over it rather than brush it.

I believe the following came from Nodakgal IIRC

Simple Beer Bread
• 3 C Pancake Mix
• 12 oz Beer
Mix and bake in loaf pan 350 for 50 min or til done.

Recently found this and am anxious to try it

Farmgirl Susan's Almost Too Easy Whole Wheat Beer Bread

2 C organic whole wheat flour
1 C organic all-purpose flour
1 T granulated sugar
1 t salt
1 T baking powder (make sure it's fresh!)
14 oz beer (or 12 oz beer & 2 oz water)
• Opt glaze: 1 egg & 2 teaspoons water, beaten

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick.

Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with the egg glaze if desired, and bake 375° until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 min. Makes 1 loaf.

• Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 min.
• Remove from the pan and cool 10 more min.
• Serve warm or at room temp.

Now for something a little different. I imagine you could easily adapt this for the oven rather than the ABM

ABM Bacon Beer Bread

3/4 C flat beer
3 1/4 C bread flour
1/2 C water
1 T granulated sugar
1/4 C chopped green onions
3/4 t salt
2 T prepared mustard
1 3/4 t active dry yeast
1 T softened butter
1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon

Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer’s directions. Select Basic White cycle. Add bacon at the beep. Makes one (1 1/2 pound) loaf.

o

Yoga, I'd use the one with melted butter poured over the top. It seeps inside the bread, on the outside and down to the bottom leaving the best after-taste ever. It's one of those breads that when you finish, the great taste stays with you so you want to go back for more!

The bread rises like yeast bread because it has the yeast from the beer in it. It ends up with little air pockets inside too. Yum.

o

Is the sugar really necessary? I made this today and it tastes more like cake. I'd like to leave the sugar out.

o

I only use about a tablespoon. I'm guessing the sugar helps for a bit of a crust? Try it without and let us know. I'd guess it's not a critical component.

o

I just made the Bisquick one and it turned our heavy~~~the post said add 8oz of beer, it needed way more. I had a 12oz can and poured the 8oz and started mixing, I could tell it was not enough beer BUT I had already drank some of what was left;) So I poured about 2oz more in but I think it really needed 12oz,BURP my mistake.

Tomorrow when DH goes on a beer run for out party,I will just have him pick up some store bought rolls~~~I am tired.
Cleaning and prepreping has done me in~~~we are having our family gift giving tomorrow. I can not wait to see the gkids;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here