Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tablet question.....

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 10:27

My daughter is thinking about getting her son and stepdaughter tablets for Christmas. The kids are 11 and 9. Does anyone have any suggestions for a brand of tablet that is $100 or less, but is a good product? She doesn't want to spend the money on really, really good ones considering their ages. She is open on size too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tablet question.....

Tablets or e-readers?
What does your daughter want to give kids access to?

o

I got my grandchildren Kindle Fires last year...they cost more than $100, though...but, cheaper than an Ipad. You can buy off brand tablets, but I wanted something I knew about and would last them....I think it was worth the investment. Do they have ipods...an ipod might suit their needs at those ages.

o

Not much available that I can recommend under $100. I know that big Lots right now has the Vizio Vtab 1008 tablet like I have for $149, it is an 8"tablet. It will do everything they need. You can go to amazon and look it up to read about it.

One thing you will run into with a low price is old tablets running older versions of Android.

o

Thank you for your opinions. pammyfay my daughter said tablets not ereaders.

o

I would guess that most 9 and 11 year olds already know how to use a tablet, if the rest of the family uses them.

Our 3 yr old DGD got her own tablet for her birthday, a couple of months ago.
She already knew how to turn on our tablets, and select her games and videos, so the gift was to keep her hands off our tablets :)

her tablet is not a big name brand, but it works great.

It cost about $150, and runs under Android. Her tablet is connected to WIFI only when we download videos to it.

A fantastic learning tool for young children.

o

I got an inexpensive tablet for a friend of mine. A Pandigital Novel. Even as an eReader, it was unimpressive. It was such a "dog" that I am too embarrassed to give it to her. If you do decide on one, get one with a later android operating system. The earlier ones like the one I got will not make kids very happy. You get what you pay for. Kids are exposed to the latest technology so if money is an issue, I would get them something else.

o

There's several versions of the pandigital novel and their other models, some definitely will have older version of android which is what I was talking about. I too have one of the early pandigital novels it was great when it first came out but now it is fairly outdated.
I would not go any earlier version than honeycomb, the later versions are ice cream sandwich or the very latest is jellybean.
The older models will also have slower processors and the screen resolution will not be great.

o

The kids know how to use tablets, but at their ages they are not the best in the world at taking care of their things. As much as my grandson loves his DS, it's still found in the floor, in the couch, etc.. The stepdaughter isn't much better from what i've seen. I think the care issue is the reason for wanting cheaper priced tablets. My 9 year old granddaughter has an IPad and is very careful with it and really gets after her brother if he messes with it and isn't careul...LOL.

o

The last iPad I got for a child was dropped and had a cracked glass within two weeks. I'm waiting till she is more careful before getting another for her. It is still used daily. She was ten at the time. Both children in the family are careless and have way too much, so they just leave everything on the floor and move on to the next activity. Harsh as this sounds, I don't think age is the issue. I think it is upbringing.

o

I can give you the link to a site that is very popular on the tablet forums they carry a lot of brands that are not as well known here but are good tablets. They're a reputable company. They do have some for your price range. The ones i link to are good choices.
Copy and paste into your browser.
http://www.chinagrabber.com/index.php/android-tablets/brands/ainol/ainol-novo7-advanced-2-android-4-0-tablet-pc-7-capacitive-many-core-a10-cpu-novo7-advanced-2.html

http://www.chinagrabber.com/index.php/android-tablets/brands/ainol/7-ainol-novo-7-legend-tablet-pc-android-4-0-all-winner-a13-1-0ghz-cortex-a8-wifi-8gb.html

http://www.chinagrabber.com/index.php/android-tablets/brands/hyundai/hyundai-a7-tablet-pc-7-0-capacitive-android-4-0-a10-cortex-a8-1-5ghz-cpu-a7.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you for all the help. I'm giving it to my daugher for her to check out and see what she wants to do.

o

lol..my boss bought some and loaned it to a student (age 25)
he dropped it and the screen cracked. he paid $200 a peice for them.

samkaren
your resident dj

o

That's why my 9 year old granddaughter has an Otter Box or something like that on her IPad. Whatever the cover is that my daughter put on the IPad has saved it from many a drop.

o

Otter Box covers are really good protection - just about the best there is. If I was getting a tablet for a child, I'd make sure that there was an available Otter Box cover for it as part of my decision making into which type of tablet to go with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here