SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
10 years ago

A Christmas story / Jean Shepherd.

Before Bill Bryson was in my reading life, I enjoyed Jean Shepherd for comedy. I love his very funny and nostalgic stories about childhood, parents, friends and other autobiographical sources of hilarity. Three of his stories were combined to create the movie The Christmas story. The movie was released in 1983 and the book containing the three stories was published in 2003. However, as unlikely as it sounds, all three stories first appeared in Playboy magazine in the mid-1960s. His stories apparently were published regularly in Playboy, although their wholesome nature surely must have clashed with the magazine's other content!

One Jean Shepherd book that I especially enjoyed reading (going by memory here, my library no longer has it) is Wanda Hickey's night of golden memories and other disasters. The "memories" are from the school prom, really sweet and funny. Click on the link for its Goodreads entry, including reader reviews. I love his titles too - another of his books is In God we trust, all others pay cash. Here is one review from Goodreads about the "Wanda Hickey" book:

"Jerry Seinfeld credited Jean Shepherd as an major inspiration, and I can see why. I LOVE Jean Shepherd's sense of humor and literary style -- he leaves no comedic arrow unslung, and aims quite a few at himself. This book had me laughing, uncontrolled and out loud, many times. It is perfect reading pretty much anytime EXCEPT late at night if you've got children. Why? Because you may end up waking them. Then they want to know why Mommy is crying ("Because I'm laughing so hard, honey.."), what's so funny, etc...and you are forced to stop reading in order to explain things and corral them back to bed!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodreads entry Wanda Hickey's night

Comments (5)