Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's an Unusual Gift Request?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 8:35

Someone on our local Freecycle is looking for a large cardboard box.

Her nephew has asked for one for Christmas so that he can make a fort, castle, etc. How cute!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's an Unusual Gift Request?

Yup! Those big boxes make the best kind of toys.

My younger son even slept in one for a few weeks when he was about 4. He's still a little weird at 42, LOL!

o

Love it!

When we moved a few years ago, the moving company left us with several rolls of the packing tape. The kids and I taped together something like 26 big boxes. We made rooms everyone and cut out doors and windows. They played in that daily for over a month.

o

go to an appliance store!! I'll bet they'll have some left from their in store models!

o

Gee...how do you wrap that?

Or what does one say when the gift is opened and there's nothing inside?

I'm always amused watching kids play with cardboard boxes....when they put their stoopid electronic toys down and let their imagination run wild!

o

The grandson is making a train with 2 cars out of large boxs right now. He is covering the boxs with colored paper. It really does look like a red and black train. He is 7, so trains are big.

o

ours! a new ceiling for our downstairs bathroom...(of course we bought the supplies, lol) bummer is only our one ds can help...thank goodness it's not a huge room!

i offered to trade places with our other ds whose taking the kids and our dil on a cruise....strange...he said no, lol....

o

When will people learn that many, if not most kids really DO enjoy the simple things in life? Reminds me of when my partners would bring the grandkid into the store to babysit. They bought all these expensive toys and he went for the computer boxes and styro packing edges. He was barely walking at the time and loved stacking them up until he couldn't reach any higher, then give them a push and knock them down. I thought it was great! And the grandparents wouldn't give in for a while but finally started to pile them up higher for him. He got such a big grin on his face to see it go higher and higher, then squeal and give it a push and start laughing. I asked them the one day if they learned anything.

Anyway, appliance delivery places would be good. Connect with some drivers and ask them to try to keep one intact. Normally the box cutters come out and they're cut to pieces but if you work it right you can get a whole one, or more and even piece together.

o

We gave my mother a kilo of earthworms for her garden one year :-) Her soil was poor and sandy and the worms helped mix in the soil improvers and pepped up the garden a treat. She was very happy.

o

When my Granddaughter ,Natalie was 4,she requested a package of cheese and a jar of pickles. For her first birthday she would NOT eat the cake,,,she wanted cottage cheese!!!

o

One of my SILs used to request a box of Loblolly and Longleaf pine cones, longleaf needles, Spanish moss and other natural gems from the deep south.

My dad would box up a bunch of brilliantly colored fall leaves, as well as hemlock, spruce, and fir cones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here