Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honey Boo Boo makes Barbara Walters' list

Posted by GrammyMyrna (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:32

Breakout reality star one of 2012's 'Most Fascinating People'

Seriously?! This is the type of person we idolize now in the great USA?!

We've been on a mission to dumb down America in numerous ways as of late, but to actually include the likes of Honey Boo Boo on this list when there are SO many other TRULY fascinating people who contribute something of value to our society is ghastly!

Walters attributes "the relationship between Honey Boo Boo and her mother" as being the reason for her choice.

Filth-laden, crusty-necked June and her rude, ill-mannered Boo-kid's relationship certainly isn't the Gold standard nor the Godly standard that I would hold up as the admirable accomplishment that mothers and daughters should strive for!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honey Boo Boo makes Barbara Walters' list

Well according to Merriam-Webster's on line dictionary, fascinating means : extremely interesting or charming : captivating . Imho, seeing/watching HBB is kind of like seeing or watching a train wreck.

Seriously?! This is the type of person we idolize now in the great USA?!
These are just her 'pop culture' picks of 'interesting' people. According to Wikipedia, Barbara Walters' 10 Most Fascinating People is a televised compilation of ten public figures who are prominent names in the fields of entertainment, sports, politics and popular culture.

She also names the Most Fascinating Person of the Year. Remember now, this is Pop Culture. She named Jerry Spring (Gag me!) in 1996.

Tiger Woods was on the 2010 list after he fell from grace in 2009.

Many on the list make me want to gag, and I wouldn't cross the street to meet or see them.

2011-The Kardashian family (socialites & reality television stars)
2010-The cast of Jersey Shore (reality television stars)
2009-Glenn Beck (radio and television host)
2009-Lady Gaga (singer)
2008-Rush Limbaugh (radio talk show host)
2007-Don Imus (radio host and writer)

Enough? Imho, many are fascinating, in a very disgusting sort of way.

Just my 2 cents.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Most Fascinating Person and Lists since 1993

o

GrammyMyrna - Couldn't agree more! It just befuddles me why people are "fascinated" with this type of "reality" show. Dumbing down of USA indeed!

o

Here's another questionable move on the part of MTV:

MTV to replace 'Jersey Shore' with new show 'Buckwild'

Read more: http://www.movin1077fm.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104650&article=10611875#ixzz2EBMFv9UG

Here is a link that might be useful: Jersey Shore replaced with Buckwild

o

Right, chemocurl: It's how you define "fascinating," in this case "gawk-ability," to me. Like you can't help watch what will happen next. (Tho I don't watch this one.)

o

If you didn't watch CNN Heroes on Sunday with Anderson Cooper, watch it if you get a chance. Those are people who are worth paying attention to and who are worth our admiration.

Honey Boo-Boo - not even in the same room (world)as these people.

o

I'm not a Barbara walters fan. She'll do anything for ratings. I rarely agree with the picks for her list. I don't have anything against Honey Boo Boo, but wouldn't put her on a top 10 most fascinating list either.

o

JUST WRONG............

o

It's a sign of our times. You can see just where we are heading.

o

I have lost a lot of respect for Barbara Walters. I used to turn in to the view a couple times a month and she just seems to be headed over the edge. She needs to retire.Whenever something is so celebrity driver as her "Most List" you know what to expect.

o

The term "dumbing down of America" comes to mind.

o

Baba and bobo are in the same boat as far as I see them. One of them has more money tho.

o

I only watched Honey Boo Boo one time to see what it was all about. Appalling, yes, but the kid actually seems very smart. I think she is rather precocious for her age. Too bad her brains are wasted on that ridiculous show. Someone once said the mother looks like a human thumb, and I can see the resemblance.

o

Attention paid to Honey Boo Boo isn't any worse than the "gangstas" that are idolized by so many.

o

Who cares about Honey Boo Boo (whom I've read about in the news) or Barbara Walters? Or Jersey Shores or Survivor or any of the "reality" programming? Or the Doctor Phil show or The View or any of the "talking heads?" Or Bill O'Reilly or Anderson Cooper or any of the stuff that "passes" for information or entertainment on the tv? My time is too precious to waste on schlock. Just my humble opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here