SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frazoo_gw

A helpful hint for unclogging toilet....

frazoo
15 years ago

Yep! Just in time for the Holidays and all that company!

Squirt a generous amount (about 2/3 cup) of dishwashing liquid (Dawn, Joy, Palmolive, etc.) into the toilet bowl. Wait for awhile, sometimes an hour, for the water to recede. Then, pour about a gallon of warm/hot tap water held about waist high into the bowl, or as much as the bowl will hold without overflowing. Repeat this as necessary until the toilet flushes. Sometimes it happens the first time, others have to do it 6-7 times, but it should work. Plunge before, during or after, if you have a plunger. It should work even without a plunger.

I found this method while doing a search at my DD's where I spent the weekend. I was so embarrassed that I clogged their toilet. (Lucky they have another.) Anyway, it happened Friday, and Saturday we left town with the toilet still clogged. Her DH asked his co-worker what to do, since plunging it wasn't working. His advice was to get a snake/auger from the hardware store, but DSIL didn't have time to get one. So, late Saturday night, I started looking for ways to unclog the darn thing since I was leaving on Sunday and didn't want to be responsible for them having to call a plumber on Monday. Plus, I was so embarrassed that DSIL had talked about it at work...you know, something like "Hey, my MIL's got the terlet plugged. What should I do?" I can just hear the MIL jokes and comments!

Anyway, after squirting Dawn into the toilet, waiting, then pouring hot tap water into it, it unclogged in a short time. Hooray! Google rocks! Computers rock! The World Wide Web rocks!

Hope this hint can save you all some grief and annoyance!

Leslie/KS

It does not work for hard objects like toys, cosmetics, etc. that have fallen into the toilet bowl.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz