SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

The Mysterious Blinking Mattress Pad

alisande
9 years ago

For a number of years I used a heated mattress pad in winter. It covered the whole mattress. Awfully nice to get into a pre-heated bed. Then last year it would randomly turn itself off--sometimes after just a short time--and the control would blink. The only way to stop it was to unplug the cord for a second or two.

I figured the pad was failing, so I decided to replace it this year. After seeing what new ones cost (around $90), I elected to get a foot-warming mattress pad instead for $25. This covers the foot of the bed only. With my Raynaud's, that's the most important part.

It does a nice job, BUT on its very first night (and several nights subsequently) it turned itself off and the control blinked until I unplugged it.

I mentioned this to my daughter-in-law, and she said her mattress pad (full-size) has the same problem. It's a royal nuisance to get out of bed to unplug the thing--especially if you're nearly asleep.

I contacted Sunbeam, and they said the blinking was an indication that the unit isn't getting enough power. I don't get it. The only other things drawing electricity in my bedroom at that point are my lamp and alarm clock. Although my house is old, that room was remodeled 10 years ago, with new wiring. And my daughter-in-law's house is only two years old.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Since both the foot warmer and whole-bed pad are both in the same condition, I may go back to using the latter. I have a feeling when the real cold shows up I'll appreciate it.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm