Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday tomarrow? Do your kids have it off?????

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 23:01

Opening day of deer season. Schools closed and with the holiday Monday, gives them a 4 day holiday!!!
But major storm on the way in which the hunters like.
Oh well, since we are not hunters will enjoy the inside, warm house
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday tomarrow? Do your kids have it off?????

Not a holiday as far as I know, but the gkids are off for conferences. Stay warm and safe!

Tami

o

Not a holiday as far as I know, but the gkids are off for conferences. Stay warm and safe!

Tami

o

Monday is Veterans Day, kids off here.

Never heard of such as deer season holiday.

My son is an avid hunter.

o

Not for us. The kids celebrate Veteran's Day at school, but don't get time off for it.

o

Thanks for the reminder sbout Monday. Since Veterans Day is on Sunday Nov 11, the banks and Post Office should be closed on Monday

o

Nope - no days off for hunting or Veterans Day.

I do know a few kids who are taking the WEEK off from school to trap. That would never ever happen at this house!

o

Our first day of deer season is later in the month. I always dread it. But I'm sure the kids don't, because the schools close.

o

Wait....am I missing something? The schools are closed on the first day of hunting season? BECAUSE it's the first day? Of hunting season?

o

Wait....am I missing something? The schools are closed on the first day of hunting season? BECAUSE it's the first day? Of hunting season?

o

Not around here. And if they had been closed for hunting season, you can bet my daughter would NOT have had a 'free' day--Mom would have seen to it that she spent the day doing something worthwhile and educational (possibly at a wildlife shelter), so she realized that shooting animals is NOT something to be celebrated. Luckily, in our area, hunting is not widely practiced.

o

We get off the opening day of deer, but that is NOT until later this month.

o

I'm not anti hunting, at all. I am rather taken aback that the schools are closed for such a reason. The thought of hundreds or thousands of armed children being set loose in the woods......yikes!

o

They had Monday off for some teacher conference, workday thing...and Tuesday for election day. I thought Sunday was Veterans' Day?

o

Nope. We were off for parent/teacher conferences this past Tuesday, election day. I thought that was a smart move. Usually they'll be in school one day, out one, then back in... First time I can think of they actually used a day for two things at one time.

Where I used to live was the Tennessee Walking horse celebration and the kids got out of school that week. It's just about the only time of year that county makes money. Everyone rents out their houses (on our street, across from the horse grounds), for thousands and the kids work the shows. Whatever works! I did find it odd, but I understood why they did it. We moved before our son started school so I never had to subject him to that week.

o

Kath, Veterans Day is officially Nov. 11 of every year. If that day falls on a Sunday, it is observed on Monday.

o

I remember teaching high school in a semi rural area. The first day of hunting season, the boys were not there. Nowadays where we live, for every day a student is absent, the school district loses under $50 a day in state funding. That wouldn't be a concern for the students, but it is a significant drop in funding for the schools. So you can see why a school district would change its calendar in order to avoid such a large loss of funding.

o

Every day is deer season around here (a suburban Pa township of 20,000 people).

We are overrun with deer in our yards, and streets - and it's illegal to kill them (except in the dark, when they run in front of a car, and a lot of body damage).

It's a rare day that I don't see a dead deer by the road.

But, the schools are open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here