Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genealogists, where can I find....

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 22:56

DH would like to put a veterans medallion on his dad's gravestone. He can get one free from the government if he fills out a form on line and sends that along with a copy of DFIL's DD-214, his discharge paper. Do any of you know where we could obtain a copy? It seems like I remember someone saying it should be registered at one of the county offices, but I can't remember which one, or if I am correct in my thinking. I don't think we have a copy of it ourselves.

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genealogists, where can I find....

Hi Tami,

I don't post very often...mostly just lurk, because I don't have internet access at home.

When I was trying to get military records for my Dad, I called Social Security, because I didn't know where else to look for help. They suggested I try calling the Veteran's Dept. I called the local office, and the Adjutant General was very helpful. I had a copy in my hands in less than a week. This was in New Hampshire, so I'm not sure if it would be the same where you are, but it would be worth trying. You might also try the link below for footnote.com. I don't know if they have discharge papers on-line or not. It may also depend on the branch of service, I'm not sure. My Dad was Army, European Theater during World War 2. Hope this helps!!

Helen

o

OOOPPS, the link didn't show up! I'll try again now...just in case it doesn't, it's http://www.footnote.com

o

OOOPPS, the link didn't show up! I'll try again now...just in case it doesn't, it's http://www.footnote.com

o

Thank you Wolf_Seeker. We will check out the web site. I know I have a copy of the death certificate, but I don't think we have a copy of the discharge papers. DH wasn't the executor of the estate, so, if DFIL kept them, I think it's unlikely we will have it. He passed in 1994.

Tami

o

This might help: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records.html

o

Thanks Wanda

o

Tami, can you ask your DH where I can find the info on getting a veterans medallion as I would love to put one on my dad's gravestone. Thanks!

o

You also might contact any funeral home and ask them for information. As to a veterans medallion, check with your local VFW or American Leion Post. They might help you.
Marie

o

Nizza, I will do that when he gets home.

Marie, thanks for another idea. I need to get down on the floor and go thru a filing cabinet to see exactly what we do have. However, that is not something my body is looking forward to! LOL!

o

The Medallion Form is VA FORM 40-1330-M.
Military Records are available from the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NARA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here