Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brach's Candy made in Mexico or US--letter sent

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 22:40

I just sent a email to Brach's candy co because I bought some Autumn mix--candy corn etc and on the back states it is manufactured in MN, then stamped below that made in Mexico. If I had seen that earlier, would not have bought it. Did contact company and will let you know
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brach's Candy made in Mexico or US--letter sent

Thanks Marie I think it is important that we know where our food and our pet food is made

o

Both say manufactured? Or does one say it's packaged in one location or the other? That's kind of strange. Keep us posted.

Brach's of course isn't the Brach's of old. It's been sold a number of times and is now owned by Farley's & Sathers, headquarters are in Round Lake MN. The City site says: "The company bags and ships 42 million pounds of candy at the Round Lake facility each year." so it could be it's made in Mexico and packaged and reshipped from Round Lake. It'll be interesting to hear how they respond.

o

Have you also noticed the change in texture of candy corn in the past few years? It used to be smooth--now it's more the texture of a pencil eraser. I forget that every year and buy a bag of it, and then am disappointed that it's not the same as it used to be.

I, too, try to stay away from foods made in other countries, but I simply cannot live without Hershey's chocolate--haven't yet been able to make myself give that up.

o

If you want to eschew any foods imported from other countries, you will have a very, very limited diet.

In the case of candy....neither cocoa beans or sugar for human consumption are grown in the us.

Manufacturing on site keeps prices down. Would you pay 2 or 3X what you pay now for candy made in the US by union employees?

o

I guess I didn't realize that the US didn't grow any sugar fit for human consumption. But I don't see the "Pure cane sugar from Hawaii" commercials anymore so maybe that's true.

o

Sugar cane and sugar beets are both grown in very large amounts in the US.

o

I wondered about the sugar not grown in the US. Of course it was a long time ago, but when I lived in Texas we chewed on sugar cane grown right next door.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here