Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Credit Unions?

Posted by msmagoo (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 21:30

Has anyone gotten a mortgage through a credit union? Particularly, USAA or one through the state employee union. I have been checking their interest rates and their mortgage (in my cause refinance) rates are really low. Their auto rates are too. We have never been a member what all is involved? I'd appreciate any comments or advice you all can offer.
Magoo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Credit Unions?

I joined our credit union over 40 years ago. I had to open a savings account with $5. Our daughter bought her car with them, and so she also had to join with $5 to open a savings account.

o

I belong to two credit unions and wouldn't do business with a commercial bank if my life depended on it. I've had a csr loan and a HELOC through one of them with no problems. They perform all other kinds of services too like coin counting and industrial shredding.

o

My husband joined a credit union thru his job about 30 years ago. He is now retired but remains a member. We have had all our car loans and 2 home equity loans with them. They offer free checking, no minimum balaces required . I can't think of a downside.

o

Am very happy with our credit union. We joined and then our kids joined also. They have their credit cards through them, also auto loans.

They offer money market accounts and other types of accounts. All sorts of advice for money management, rates, calculators, etc.

o

We're really happy with our credit union. To me, credit unions are more personal than a regular bank. We tried to fianance our villa through them, but they don't fianance condos, which villas are classified as.

In our paper this morning, I saw that another CU was advertising car loans for 1.90% for 5 years. Wow! That's pretty good, huh?

o

Had good luck with a couple of credit unions in CA. Not sure about here.

o

I was going to post yesterday, but DH said my information was out of date.... so, here is my 'out of date' info. We have belonged to a military credit union forever. It used to be that you had to meet certain requirements to become a member, and all family members sort of belonged to the original member. We have had the most excellent service from our CU for all kinds of loans and savings accounts, including mortgage. I would not hesitate to join a local CU and believe that they are more closely involved with local community than the big banks. I do wonder if there are restrictive requirements now days.

o

I don't believe that USAA is considered a credit union. But you do have to have served in the military or have a connection with a veteran... spouse, parent, or child.... I think it is.

We have our auto & home insurance with USAA, Roth IRA's, & also used them to find a great deal on a used car. They are very highly rated insurance-wise.

o

USAA looked kinda like a credit union. There is certain criteria and you have to join. The refinance mortgage part doesn't get very good reviews, but I suspect it may be the financial environment the country is in right now.
If anyone else has something to add as far as recomendations please do
Thansk!

o

It's like a people's bank (but that can't use that word) Looks kinda like "bank" may be one o' those "four letter words" that they talk about.

The policy is made by the members.

The profits go to the members, in proportion to the amount of business that they did with the credit union.

ole joyful

o

We got a mortgage through a credit union and closed on our new house last month. They had the best rate.

o

Some are community-based, and some are mainly for a certain type of citizen, workers in a certain company, etc. They require that a potential member buy a share, sometimes $5.00 - 50.00, which is refunded on their withdrawal/death.

They are owned and operated by their members, who choose their Board at an annual general meeting, usually with some retiring each year.

Some, as one in this area, have a number of branches ... and this one's half dozen or so branches are all within about 70 miles of this city.

Some of the profits, as allocated by the Board, are shared among the members, in proportion to the business which they have done with the Credit Union.

Some offer life insurance up to the amount of, I think, the minimum balance that one had in one's account over a certain number of years.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here