SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

New movie "Saving Mr. Banks"

dedtired
10 years ago

I got to go to a preview of this movie that will be released later in December. It is the story of the negotiations between Disney Studios and PL Travers, the woman who wrote Mary Poppins. Evidently Disney wooed her for many years before she finally gave them the rights to make a movie based on the character she had created.

I really enjoyed it. It stars Tom Hanks as Disney and Emma Thompson as Travers. It goes back and forth between Travers childhood in Australia with her ne'er do well father, and the Disney years. She insisted on being part of the team that wrote the screenplay and would not sign the rights over until after it had been written to her satisfaction, although she really wasn;t satisfied.

It got me very interested in learning more about her and it seems her real life was even more fascinating than her life as portrayed in the movie. It's worth reading about her.

When I saw the movie, there were representatives from Disney there to be sure that no one attending was recording the movie. They warned everyone to turn off cell phones and checked all bags before you went in and used night vision goggles to check that no cameras were being used.

I recommend the movie. It's not for kids because they would not enjoy it, but it is a nice holiday season movie and rather thought provoking.

Comments (5)