SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie_ndcal

Gasoline--Price--2.99

marie_ndcal
9 years ago

Ours just dropped today to 2.99. They have built one refinery and working on a 2nd. Yet, we produce over 1 million barrels per day, but partly weather and partly price of oil by the cartel, production will be slowing down, then price will go back up. People in the oil business, claim they can't stay in business, if price drops too much. Interesting subject which has caused a bit of a controversy, has really helped the state, and also caused some problems. Anyone interested, just goggle Bakken Oil and see what is there.
ND

Comments (19)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I wish someone could explain this to me....Gas locally is cheapest at our Safeway Grocery pumps with the 10 cents off per gallon if you've bought groceries. $3.19.9 if paying cash or debit, $3.29.9 if credit card. All of DH's gas goes on credit card for accounting purposes, one bill for business truck expenses at end of month.

Gas two hours away in my mothers city at her Safeway $2.63.9 for the last two months (10 cents more if paying credit card). I haven't been there for a week now, will be going Monday. Normally I do not leave town without a full tank of gas, want to be able to get to my destination and home again without bothering - but I've been making an exception these last two months with weekly trips to help her as she recovers from a fall.

More than 50 cents per gallon difference? Makes no sense to me.

• alisande
    9 years ago

It's been at $2.97 for some weeks now here. New Jersey is usually well below us, but I don't know if they are this time. Heating oil is down too, so I had my tanks filled.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Just yesterday I filled up at a local station for $2.59 / gallon. Or actually $2 59.9 cents. As it was filling I was thinking why don't they just get rid of the idiotic 0.9 cents that they tack on once and for all. It was a stupid, obvious effort to deceive customers decades ago when gas was 25.9 cents per gallon, and it is simply ludicrous now when the price is over 10 times that.

• blubird
    9 years ago

Gas prices here in the middle of NJ are pretty much in the range of $2.61-2.79 for regular/ cash. And we don't have to touch a pump ;-).

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

$2.78 at Costco here in se Michigan...but since our gov used road repair monies for other things is talking yet another gas tax to repair the crumbling roads..

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

There are at least 7 variable items that affect differences in the price of gasoline. These are: distance from the distrubition center, state and local taxes, volume of sales, competition, charging what the market will bear, and marketing schemes. I have assumed that the price of oil does not affect differences, but affects all these factors equally. However, if the supply of gasoline arrives by two different routes to two locations, the price of oil may be different for the two and that will make a difference.

In my state, federal, state, and local taxes add a significant cost. Crossing the state line can make a difference. My county neighbors a county that lost a lawsuit and has an additional cost imposed by EPA. A large city in an adjoining state claimed that our exhaust polution caused an increase in their polution load. The EPA ordered this portion of the state to change to a special summer blend of gasolne. The refinery claimed that it costs more to change to this special blend and charges accordingly. It adds a few cents per gallon. (This refinery makes seasonal changes to gasaoline blend as does others, but they say our required blend is different to the standard blend.)

Two items that do have a sizeable impact is remoteness from the distribution storage and sales volume. If the tanker truck must travel many more miles and possibly up into a mountainous region to supply a station, the fuel will cost more. Also, that location very likely has low sales compared to the average. That hurts too.

At my location, there is one item that moves the price considerably in a nonsensical way is marketing. There seems not to be any logic as companies play the cost game with a thurst and parry against competitors. Our state has recognized the unfair practice of a large concern under pricing the little guy until he is run out of business. After he is gone, the price goes up. To slow down this shell game, our state permits a station to change its price only once per day. They do not specify when, just once per 24 hours. Most changes are made at night. Did this work - maybe a little? It merely slowed the shell game.

My county adjoins a county that built a new baseball stadium a few years ago. A local sales tax was added to help pay for the structure. The politicans decided that counties surrounding the county with the stadium also benefit and convinced the state to include all adjoining counties to the special tax levy. It isn't much, 1/10 percent of taxable items, but it does add a bit to the price of gasoline and is not state-wide.

• eileen101
    9 years ago

$2.56 in Phoenix

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

2.85 here

• party_music50
    9 years ago

geez.... we're excited around here because it just dropped to $3.219/gal at the cheapest places. :p

Now I want to know what's going on with the price of BUTTER! It's suddenly almost $4/lb everywhere!!!!! :(

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

I have been baffled watching diesel fuel, as much as $1 more than reg/gal, now only 20â more(??)
    Got snoopy, and checked Germany. $1.42/⬠per litre. 3.785 litre/gal. In USD that's $6.73/gal. (Venezuela is .04/gal USD)

• fran1523
    9 years ago

We've been playing about 2.85 a gallon in Massachusetts for a couple of months now. Funny how we think this is reasonable because last year gasoline was well over 3.50 a gallon.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

How does $4.38515 sound? That' $1.139 per litre x 3.85.

ole joyfuelled ... well - sometimes more than others ...

... but we do have a lot of roads, many more miles per capita of population, than the U.S., that get harsher treatment in winter.

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

$2.69 here, today and I filled up!

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Supply and demand, and what the market will bear. The astronomical profits the oil companies have made in the last 10+ years have become the expected profit, and no one bats an eye. The industry is monopolized because there is little to no competition--they all charge about the same in each market and that price is what they believe people will pay. I live in an area with a very high cost of living and wages that must be higher than average to compensate, and we often have close to the highest gas price; people will find a way to pay for gas because they have to--we don't have a good public transportation that covers all the cities in the area. We have refineries nearby, but that has no bearing.

• chloe_cat
    9 years ago

$2.50 in Eastern Missouri today.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Last night - 1.139 per litre, 4.38515/gal.

Today - $1.083 or $1.080 per litre.

o j

• nicole__
    9 years ago

2.63 today....Colorado Springs Colorado

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Filled up today at $2.79. St. Paul MN.

• angelaid
    9 years ago

2.86 in North Idaho.

Sponsored