SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Homeowners Insurance Advice

Cherryfizz
11 years ago

I received a call today from my homeowners insurance company. They want to review my policy because it hasn't been done in a long time. My insurance rates have gone up considerably the last few years and I was going to call them to see how I could reduce the premium I pay. I think I still have a $500 deductible.

After asking me some initial questions today like how old the roof is, what type of floors, fireplace, furnace walls, tile or not in the bathroom they are going to do a more in depth telephone interview next week to see where some changes can be made. The agent told me most likely there will be a reduction in my premium. What information do you think I should have on hand. I don't know the replacement costs for things I have - or even to think of a guess. My basement flood insurance has been grandfather in and I don't want to lose that not that I have a finished basement or anything but my basement does flood every few years because of the City storm sewer back up.

I have only made one claim and they waived the deductible at the time because I did the cleanup myself. They only had to come in and disinfect the basement.

The fire extinguisher I had expired so I don't have a fire extinguisher now - should I get one before the interview?

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. I also have a rental house which needs a new roof and that won't happen until next year. There is an old garage on the property that is being used at all for anything.

I really need to lower my premium.

Anne

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH