Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do businesses get your email address????

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 20:56

I am curious as to how does any business get my email address--that is when I buy something at a store or from the Scwan co. within a week or so, ads begin to show up sometime in my spam, using my name. No I do not give out my email. Even when I do buy anything, I still get requests by name from companies.
Ideas???
Thanks
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do businesses get your email address????

Many businesses sell your address, and email. Even banks do it. MY dh gets a lot of them, and I am sure they are from ebay and craigs list. I use a different account for any purchases.

o

I protect clutter in my email by using a separate email address for stores, etc.

o

On a lark, I ordered "free" business cards from Vista Print. I used what I thought was a catchy little phrase as a "business" name, just to hand out to people who were interested in my handmade crafts. I immediately started getting mail and email for this business name, so it was proof positive that Vista Print was the one who sold my name and other info. I believe you have to be informed about that though, and you will usually find that hidden somewhere in the fine print when you buy.

o

Another way they get it is from people you think are friends who refuse to show you the respect of using BCC on bulk mailings. They're the best friends of spammers.

Also the spammers just generate names as you can often see in lists. For instance once they get a name like janedoe@yourisp.com, they'll generate a list, i.e. jandoe, janedoe1, jdoe, doejane, etc and hope that some of them hit. There's also the spiders that search for names on forums and the like and use them for email attempts. Essentially free email promotes this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here