Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ANyonw know how to report a transcribing error on the 1940 census

Posted by monica_pa (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 20:33

I know someone here is involved in Ancestry.com.
I just found a transcribing error on 1940 census entries for a family. There is a a big mistake in the spelling of the surname, from the original census form(it is handwritten correctly on the census form). I would hate to see this stay in files and cause confusion for future generations.
How can I get this corrected?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ANyonw know how to report a transcribing error on the 1940 ce

Did you contact Ancestry?

o

I looked on the Ancestry site, but it only tells how to add a correction to a record. Unfortunately, when the surname is grossly misspelled...adding an amendment note household members, who do not share the head of house, does not correct the problem.
I'm still looking for a way to contact them about this problem.

o

Monica -- I've sent you a message through your page...

o

I've called them for the same problem. They walked me through how to make the correction and it was noted so that the correct name would show up in a search. Call them and speak to someone
Joann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here