Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Is it the one for me?

Posted by moonie_57 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 20:27

Because I deal so much with amazon, I thought it was. Supposedly the sound is remarkable, as tablets go, and music is one of my top priorities.

But, I have some music that I would want to put on my tablet, and not have to purchase. Since there is no SD slot to use, is that possible? Can I upload music from my computer onto the kindle fire via the cloud drive/player?

And for those "in the know", how many movies could you load onto the kindle if you were going off for a week and wanted to carry some movies along with you?

I have messed around with the blackberry playbook and would have loved that little gadget, except, well, it's little! LOL
7" is great for reading and surfing but for movies, it is just too small for me.

Do you own another brand that is at least an 8", great for music and movies and isn't too very slow for surfing and emailing?

If I decide to not go with the Kindle Fire HD, then I'm looking to not spend any more than $200 (maybe a teensy bit more if it were truly worth it.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Is it the one for me?

May I tack on a request for similar information about the Nook? As I understand it, this has an SD slot and can be upgraded from 16 to 32 whatsises. (Displaying my level of knowledge of these things.)

I too want to read books (and be entertained with a couple of movies) on a nine-hour flight.

Can I borrow books from our library on a Nook? I'm not a buyer of books when I can borrow them, then give the money to our library.

o

I looked at the Nooks a few weeks ago -- mostly because it's one of the only ones with an SD card slot. So basically, you could have multiple SD cards each loaded with books, movies, podcasts, whatever, to expand your tablet's memory. But the SD cards are small handling-wise.

About library books, usually you first have to download an app onto your computer, then you hook up your e-reader to your computer and upload into that. I hear it's a lot easier (fewer steps, that is) using a Kindle.

My library has a FAQ (frequently asked questions) page on its web site, so you should go over to your library's web site and see if there's any info there first. Or you could call your library to see what it entails. Some libraries also offer sessions to help show people how they can use their tablets/e-readers for library materials.

o

I'm not sure if you are interested in this or not but I am pretty sure I read that 3G connection for the Kindle Fire Hd is only 50.00 a year... that is a great price.

o

Moonie, I bought my son the KF HD, it's still in the box for Christmas. I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a computer to download from the Kindle store.

I have an iPad and I download magazines from the Kindle store and Amazon does it immediately.

I don't use 3G because I don't travel very often, so no need for the extra expense.

Oh! I did buy the Kindle PowerFast for fast charging. I did a lot of reading and it charges the Kindle much much faster than the charger it comes with. $19.00, not too bad.

o

You do not need a computer to download onto any Kindle from Amazon. However, using the USB charging cord that comes with all Kindles, you can hook up the Kindle to your computer and transfer music/documents, etc. that way.

You can also e-mail documents to your Kindle, as all Kindles have an e-mail address.

o

Thanks, I believe that cleared it up. I was terribly confused on if I could upload music from my computer. Something I read somewhere made me believe you could not do that.

oakleyok - thanks for the tip on the charger. I need to get one as well!

Could that be true? Only $50 for a year of 3G?

o

I am only able to download books with wi fi on my Kindle even though it does have 3G.

o

I am only able to download books with wi fi on my Kindle even though it does have 3G.

o

Interesting, carol. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

o

The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 are mentioned on this list of gadgets worth buying.

o

"I am only able to download books with wi fi on my Kindle even though it does have 3G."

If you are in an area with both Wi-Fi and 3G, the Wi-Fi will take priority and that's how books will be downloaded. However, if you are out of range of Wi-Fi, the 3G will take over. Amazon uses the AT&T 3G network, which is virtually everywhere, including Europe.

o

I wish AT&T was everywhere! When we are in FL, we are 22 miles from the closest town, and in the middle of a national forest. No cell service out here.

I did tons of research before I got my Nexus 7. From reading forums, etc., it seems you can't (or if you can, it involves a lot of stuff that's more than I want to tackle) put a Kindle app on a Nook and vice-versa. But putting a Kindle app on my Nexus was very easy. As well as email, Facebook, Words with Friends, etc. Last night, for the first time in years, I read in bed. Only had the Nexus for a light, and it didn't bother DH at all.

o

I've been wanting an ereader too and was considering the Kindle Paperwhite, but I think I'll go with the Kindle HD as apparently you can stream Netflix with it. The old laptop I've been using stream Netflix is going out and it would be nice to get an ereader that I can use for reading plus stream movies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here