Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HE in regular washer?

Posted by sooey (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 20:01

Hi Kids,

While in BJs last week I picked up the wrong container of ERA lundry detergent; I got HE instead of regular. Mine is a standard top load washer, not a front load...can I still use High Efficiency detergent or should I take it back?

Thanks, Kids.

sooey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HE in regular washer?

I use HE in my 15 year old GE top loader at our vacation place. Our water is on the soft side and regular Tide seems to create a lot of suds.

And at home we use if because we have a front loader washer.

o

No problem. It'll work fine.

o

I honestly don't know the answer but I wonder if you'd need to extrapolate the amount of water and use a LOT more detergent in a regular washer? There's so little water used in the front-loading HE ones, that I doubt the same amount of detergent would be adequate to do a load in a standard top loader. Does that make sense?

Does the box give any clue--instructions, amounts for use in regular washers? Or maybe you could e-mail the company?

o

Hi Kids,

Thanks for your help.

I have read the bottle and it gives no information on how to adjust for a larger volume of water used. I guess I'll have to try it out and see how it goes. Our water is on the soft side so I have never been able to use the full amount of any detergent. I will experiment and see how it goes.

Thanks, Kids.

sooey

o

I googled ERA's FAQ thinking they might answer it there. No luck. But ERA is a P&G product - why not call them and ask.

Got questions?
Our people are standing by to take your call.

Toll-free at 1-800-388-4372
Monday through Friday, 9AM to 6PM EST

o

Excellent idea, Maire_cate! I will do that right now! Thanks!

sooey

o

BINGO!

I just talked with Biran at the P&G ERA hot line. Yes, it is fine to use the HE in a regular top machine and I should use the same amount that I would use of regular ERA. You are all so smart (I'm looking at you cynic)!

Thank you all for your help, and thank you to Marie_cate for the wonderful suggestion to call and even gave me the phone number. You ar all THE BEST!

sooey

o

Glad to help and glad that Biran could answer your question.

Happy laundry!

o

Glad it worked out for you. I didn't notice you had posted with more questions or I would have responded. But you got it taken care of so that's great.

I recently bought some Era again. Haven't used it in years. Used to like it a lot but then the price jumped like crazy. Now it's back down very cheap. AFAIK, all of P&G's detergents use enzymes and they do help clean better. I bought a 150 oz jug for something like $6 so I decided to try it again. The few times I've used it so far, it's been fine. I also like that it has a stench-free version now. I despise the perfume the put in cleaners. I choke walking down the detergent aisles these days. The only worse one is the candles!

BTW, most people use too much detergent in their laundry. If you notice in the measuring cup, the full line is down a ways in the cup and the natural tendency is to fill it to the top or overflow it and dump it in. Too much detergent in the clothes makes it more difficult to rinse out so clothes will be stiffer, so people add a bunch of fabric softener to offset that and P&G, Unilever and the rest smile away. Many times you can cut the detergent in half and get excellent results. Judge your detergent amounts by the volume of clothes, how soiled, the detergent itself, hardness of the water, washing temp and other variables. I generally get twice the loads out of a bottle than they say it has and get good performance and don't need/use fabric softener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here